XP to Win2000 networking

1 view

Peter Sikes

Apr 21, 2003, 9:06:21 AM4/21/03
I've a small home network set up using Windows networking,
via Ethernet in a peer-peer workgroup. All four PC's
return back to a hub, and then get internet access via a
DSL home gateway. Ever since adding an XP laptop to the
mix (containing 2 Win 2000 machines, and two Win 98
machines, I can't "see" the other pc's from the XP laptop.
I need to file share to/from the laptop. Same workgroup,
file sharing is enabled, and I can ping from computer to
computer, both by name and IP address.
I've seen numerous references to sharing between XP and
98, but nothing regarding Win2K here. Is there another
setup step I've missed?
If I have to, I guess I can set up an FTP server between
the laptop and my main desktop, but that's not as
convenient. If it's a security issue, maybe I should ftp
instead?
Peter

Robert L

Apr 21, 2003, 9:31:10 AM4/21/03
1. try to disable computer browser on xp. does it fix the problem?
2. use net view command on xp. does it list all shared computers? post back
with the result.

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Peter Sikes" <psi...@iconn.net> wrote in message

Peter Sikes

Apr 22, 2003, 7:27:26 AM4/22/03
Hi Robert. thanks for the reply. I'm getting really
frustrated.
For simplicity, I've reduced the network to just my main
desktop (Win2000), and my laptop (XP) via a crossover
cable.
1. Disabling the Browser didn't seem to work. An error
message appears telling me that the list of servers for
this workgroup is not currently available.
2. net view command returns a message saying the list of
servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

If it helps, I note that I can ping in only one direction
now, from the 2K machine to the XP machine, but not in the
reverse direction (from the XP to the 2K machine).

ICF is off.

>.

Robert L

Peter Sikes

Apr 22, 2003, 1:57:34 PM4/22/03
From the desktop machine (Win 2000)
C:\>ipconfig

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

C:\>ipconfig

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.123.117
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\>

From the Laptop (Win XP Pro):

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge (Network Bridge) 5::

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Can still ping from desktop to laptop, but not in reverse.

"Robert L" <nor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Peter Sikes

Apr 22, 2003, 2:04:55 PM4/22/03
and if I put the desktop back on the home network, the ipconfig changes
to:C:\>ipconfig

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 172.16.1.33
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . ..............: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . ............. . : 172.16.0.1

Peter Sikes

Apr 23, 2003, 8:09:56 PM4/23/03
Ok,

I officially give up. XP stinks for home networking, probably until I
decide to upgrade all the machines to XP, which isn't going to happen.