problem with internet connection

Nicholas H. AchesoN

Dec 27, 2002, 8:45:12 AM12/27/02
On my Dell Dimension 2300 computer with WXP Home, I
connect to the web with a 56K modem and use Explorer and
Netscape. Recently these programs are not responding, even
though my modem connection works. They tell me that they
can't find the sites I request. Also no email
connection. It is as if the browsers can't find the
connection via the modem. This happened after my internet
server had some problems and was shut down for a while.
On another W98 computer, using the same modem (I switch
modem from one computer to the other), I have no problem.
The modem dials and establishes the connection in both
cases. Any ideas about what I can do?

Robert L

Dec 27, 2002, 10:46:23 AM12/27/02
Nicholas,

You may need some network tools like ipconfig, ping and tracert to
troubleshoot. can you ping a web site? For more information, go to
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech check top network faqs>network tools.

Happy Holidays!

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Nicholas H. AchesoN" <nicholas...@mcgill.ca> wrote in message

Nicholas

Dec 27, 2002, 10:27:43 PM12/27/02
Robert,

Thanks for your message. I have since looked in my XP
driven computer into Computer Management, Event Viewer,
System. Every time I try to connect, there is an Error
Event in this log, as follows: "The PAST transparent
proxy was unable to bind to the IP address 198.168.182.244
(different for different addresses). This error may
indicate a problem with TCP/IP networking. The data is
the error code."
Data: (bytes) 0000: 36 27 00 00 6'..

Unfortunately, these terms make little sense to me. Any
advice as to what I can do to correct the problem?

>.

Robert L

Dec 28, 2002, 10:24:20 AM12/28/02
Nicholas,

can you ping? please post ipconfig /all so that we can figure it out. also,
what's the event id?

Happy Holidays!

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Nicholas" <nicholas...@mcgill.ca> wrote in message

Nicholas

Dec 28, 2002, 1:16:49 PM12/28/02
Robert,

I found in Dell Solution Center, Tools, System Restore,
that I could restore the system to its configuration
before the problem occurred. So I chose Dec. 19, waited
about 5 min while the computer turned back the clock, and
lo and behold I can now connect to the internet on this
machine! So although I don't know the reason for the
problem, it is no longer a problem! If you would like to
know other stuff, please tell me how to find it on my
computer, but as far as I am concerned, the problem is no
longer with me. Thanks for your concern.

Nicholas

Robert L