XP Pro Can not find Domain

Greg P.

Jun 5, 2003, 10:36:56 PM6/5/03
I Have a some XP Pro clients, and all of them are unable to find the PDC to
authenticate their logon.

However, they are logged onto the network, I can browse to and from them.
They are able to connect to SQL Server 2000 and access all shares on the
network. However, if I put these XP Pro machines onto a switch (currently on
a hub), all they can see is the other XP Pro clients, no PDC or either BDC.

Running NT 4.0 SP6a. Some Win98SE clients and a larger number of XP Pro
clients.

Everything seems to be runing fairly smooth aside from the system log
entries indicating the client was unable to locate a controller (PDC or BDC)
for the domain.

GP

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Jun 5, 2003, 11:38:52 PM6/5/03
Do you have wins server?

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Greg P." <peter...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Greg P.

Jun 6, 2003, 12:53:54 AM6/6/03
The PDC is multihomed. WINS server bound to each NIC. Primary and secondary
WINS server for each NIC point to themselves. (10/100 NIC 199.199.199.1 WINS
Server Primary 199.199.199.1 Secondary 199.199.199.1 - 100 NIC 199.199.199.2
Wins Primary 199.199.199.2 Wins Secondary 199.199.199.2)

Each BDC (we have 2) also run WINS Server. Pointing at themselves, same as
PDC.

"Robert L [MS-MVP]" <nor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Greg P.

Jun 6, 2003, 10:21:03 AM6/6/03
The PDC was originally configured with two NIC's because the hubs available
were 100mbps (not 10/100 or autosensing, strictly 100mbps), but network
printers NIC's would only support 10mbps. The printers plug into a 10mb hub,
and the rest of the network runs through 10/100 hubs.

No errors in the event log.