WAN working, LAN NOT working

Charles Shapiro

Nov 24, 2002, 11:18:25 AM11/24/02
Here is a weird one.

I have a small network setup at home, Linksys router , Cable modem.
On one machine running XP-PRO (brand new CLEAN install), the WAN
works, but the LAN does not. There is no LAN connectivity between machines
at all.

Is there some setting in my Linksys Router stopping just this one machine
from getting on the LAN? DHCP is set to ON and I have told it 8 machines
although there is only 4 at this time.

Thanks.

..Chip..

Robert L

Nov 24, 2002, 12:25:35 PM11/24/02
Charles,

You need to use some tools like ping and ipconfig to test it and the give us
more information so that we help you. For more information, go to
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech. check network tools.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech
"Charles Shapiro" <csha...@lvcm.com> wrote in message

Charles Shapiro

Nov 24, 2002, 1:34:52 PM11/24/02
Thanks Robert. What exactly would you have me do. Here is what I did from
that site.

IPCONFIG on Machine A (with no LAN) shows the LAN IP, the WAN IP, Gateway,
DNS, DHCP
enabled, Autoconfig enabled. Except for the LAN IP and the physical
address, it looks like Machine B.

Net View shows all the machines on the LAN, Currently 4.

NBTSTAT shows the local machine and the group. There is a difference here
in that on machine A, it shows
the local machine 3 times and the group twice. On machine B is only shows
the local machine 2 times (every other
entry), In the TYPE section on machine A it has <00> unique, <03> unique and
<20> unique for the local machine and
<00> group and <1E> group. On machine B it looks like this:

Local Area Connection:

Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.100] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Local Name Table

Name Type Status

BBS <00> UNIQUE Registered

INFINITI <00> GROUP Registered

BBS <20> UNIQUE Registered

INFINITI <1E> GROUP Registered

Running NBTSTAT gives the following results. On machine A it has:

Netbios names resolved by braodcast:

shows machine C (We haven't talked about this one) 8 times.

From machine B is shows:

machine C 6 times and machine A 1 times with a <00> by it.

From Machine C is shows:

machine B 7 times one with <00> and machine A 1 times with a <00> by it.

I am not familair at all with what this is telling me, hopefully you can
tell me.. :)

I see where it says on that ChicagoTech page where if it shows <20>, NetBios
is being

used, but it was NOT installed by me, unless they mean it's using it for the
test...

I am able to ping in both directions, 192.168.1.103 >< 192.168.1.100. from
each machine.

Also tracert to 192.168.1.103 (machine A) takes 1 hop and is done in 1ms

This is so weird, Everything says it should work but it does not!!

What else would you have me check at this point?

Thanks!

..Chip..

"Robert L" <bobl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Robert L

Nov 24, 2002, 9:46:17 PM11/24/02
OK. you can ping each other by using IP. But can you ping \\computername? if
you can't ping \\computername, this is name resolution issue.

Also net view \\computername should some things like:

C:\>net view \\computername

Shared resources at \\computername

Share name Type Used as Comment

---
Administrative Tools Disk
d Disk
data Disk
The command completed successfully.

Are all computers running XP?
--

For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE

Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech
"Charles Shapiro" <csha...@lvcm.com> wrote in message

Charles Shapiro

Nov 25, 2002, 1:32:11 AM11/25/02

> OK. you can ping each other by using IP. But can you ping \\computername?
if
> you can't ping \\computername, this is name resolution issue.

Can NOT ping \\computername. I get the following error:

Ping request could not find host \\bbs (bbs=computername) Please check the
name and try again.

> Also net view \\computername should some things like:

Net view by itself shows all the machine names, but net view \\computername
returns and error:

System error 5 has occurred
Access is denied.

All computers are running XP-PRO.

Thanks Robert.

..Chip..

Charles Shapiro

Nov 25, 2002, 8:20:50 AM11/25/02
Morning Robert. Visited the MS Knowledge base this morning and was directed
to the help & support
area to 'Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnosis
problems". The results on both machine
were positive. DNS failed, but in looking further into the info it had to
do with my ISP DNS Servers (one of
three) failed (to respond?).

Otherwise everything else passed. I saved the files and can post them for
you if your not familiar with that
output.

Outlook Express did fail one (for mail), but the 2nd time mail passed and
NEWS failed.. I don't think
this is affecting the LAN connectivity.

Is this any help?

..Chip..

Robert L

Nov 25, 2002, 9:40:46 AM11/25/02
Charles,

If you got error 5 when using net view \\comutername, it is possible the
permission or/and network setting problems. do you setup the same workgroup,
enable sharing and logon the same username and password? try enable guest
account on both computers and also make sure simple file sharing enabled. If
it does not work, remove simple file sharing and re-share it without simple
file sharing. For more information, go to
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech. check network troubleshooting, setup
and analysis pages.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech
"Charles Shapiro" <csha...@lvcm.com> wrote in message

Charles Shapiro

Nov 25, 2002, 8:00:37 PM11/25/02
Seems that 'simple file sharing' which was disabled was the ticket. I
disabled it before
for some other reason, (I do not remember why), but have re-enabled it and
have been
able to share ALL drive and connect to the network printers, etc.

I am able to ping machine names. I might have been able to do this before
as I probably
had the syntax of the command wrong. I was doing "ping \\machinename' where
it wanted
'ping machinename' which worked fine to 2 of the 3 other machine and I can
even ping
the one I am on.

I am glad to get that resolved, but there has to be something else going on
here too as that
machine I couldn't get to also has ME on it and it had no LAN either and I
know that changing
things in XP didn't fix that!! :) What I did do though is reset my Router
back to defaults and this
might have helped.

One thing still. I can not ping another machine (by name) on the network
(running XP-PRO). I can
ping it by # (192.168.1.101) and do have it's drive-C mapped on my machine.
I get that error that
it can't find the host name.

Also, I am still having peer problems between machine A and machine B as I
can not get video/voice to
work in Windows Messenger (post for another newsgroup) :), but am very happy
to have fixed the LAN
problem!

Thanks Robert for sticking with me though this!