XP Pro /98SE Networking Problem

Robert Smits

Jan 19, 2003, 2:05:45 AM1/19/03
I'm trying to network two machines, running XP Pro on one and 98SE on the
other.

I'm using a Linksys 4port Router, a cable modem and NICs on each computer.

I'm successfully sharing the internet connection, but can't get from either
machine to the other.

It doesn't seem to matter that I've turned off the XP firewall, and my
software firewall, too.

How do I get the LAN to work?

Thanks, Bob.

robert

Jan 19, 2003, 3:09:03 AM1/19/03
try this guide
www.pctechnicians.ca
Guides
workgroup setup guide

--
Robert Vegas
www.pctechnicians.ca

"Robert Smits" <rsm...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

---

kralcd

Jan 19, 2003, 12:33:12 PM1/19/03
I posted the following to other similar problems.....

Ref below. This was driving me crazy!!!!!! Finally found that XP was missing
the NETBEUI protocol.
Two Points....Install NETBEUI Protocol (for your netword adapter)....select
"enable netbios over tcpip" in your TCPIP.....Advanced...Wins
Option......hope this helps you as it helped me!!
---------
Thank You Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE!!!!!
While I had enabled Netbios over TCPIP in WINS, the reference to Microsoft
knowledgebase article
Q301041 did the trick. Specifically, NetBEUI was not installed and therefore
even though I specified it to be used it was unavailable (would have been
nice if XP had told me that). In any event once I followed the instructions
in Q301041 and installed NetBeui my Win XP / Win 98 machines communicated
up a storm.....
I have seen so many references to these mixed environments being unable to
communicate that I would post this solution everywhere (if I knew where
"everywhere" was) (I would also include NETBEUI in XP by default)
Again........Thank You Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE!!!!!