Home Network

Greg

Jun 30, 2005, 2:35:46 PM6/30/05
Trying to set up a home network. I have a main computer connected to a
Linksys broadband router and a wireless connection to a laptop. I can
access the internet through both computers. When I run the network setup
wizard everything works and reports the network was sucessfully setup, but I
can't access my network. All I want to do is have a folder that I can share
files back an forth between the two computers and share a printer. Thanks.

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Jun 30, 2005, 3:57:00 PM6/30/05
have you enable the sharing? these pages may help,

How to enable windows sharing

Sharing Printers and Files over a private network. Internet access sharing. Remote Access VPN setup NetMeeting Remote desktop Terminal Services ...
www.howtonetworking.com/Networking/enablesharing0.htm

peer to peer workgroup setup

File and Printer Sharing - accessed computer should enable the File and Printer ... Also, don't bridge a private network with a connection that has a public ...
www.howtonetworking.com/workgroupsetup.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services. Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Greg Maxey

Jun 30, 2005, 4:26:23 PM6/30/05
Robert,

I am hopelessly confussed.  I used the setup wizard and followed all of the steps.  When completed I now have a file tree

My Network Places\Entire Network\Microsoft Windows Network>MaxeyNetwork.

If I double click the MaxeyNetwork or try to drag files to it I get

MaxeyNetwork is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this network resource.  Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

I figure that since I created the network that I should be the administrator.  Where to go from here.

Thanks.

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Jun 30, 2005, 6:18:03 PM6/30/05
assuming you logon both computers using administrator, are you using the same password for both? Also make sure no blank password. also these pages may help.

network errors
"The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available - System error
6118 has occurred. " "An error occurred while renewing interface local ...
www.chicagotech.net/neterrors.htm

system errors
The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available. SYMPTOMS: 1)
After enabling ICS/ICF, you can't see any computes on My Network places. ...
www.chicagotech.net/systemerrors.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services. Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Greg Maxey

Jun 30, 2005, 9:27:57 PM6/30/05
Robert,

It should be clear by now that I haven't a clue what I am doing.  I don't know how to log on as the administrator and I don't seem to have an option to do so even if I knew how.

Kevin

Jun 30, 2005, 9:42:00 PM6/30/05
You ran the Network Setup Wizard on both systems? You enabled file and
folder sharing on them? You enabled printer sharing?

"Greg" <nom...@nomail.com> wrote in message

Greg Maxey

Jun 30, 2005, 10:40:00 PM6/30/05
Kevin,

Yes, Yes, Yes.

Seems like this should be a simple process. Probably is for people that
know how. All I want to do is have a folder that I can use to pass files
back and forth between the main PC and laptop and print from the laptop to
the printer connected to my main PC. I did run the set up wizard on both
PCs, I checked the box to allow file and printer sharing, the wizard runs to
completion and says the network is sucessfully set up. I reboot as
instructed. When I go to mynetwork places, the workgroup I created appears,
but I can't drag a file there or access it. I am about to forget about it.

"Kevin" <web...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Greg Maxey

Jun 30, 2005, 11:36:28 PM6/30/05
Kevin, Robert

This is what I did to try to set up this network. I used the software that
came with my LINKSYS wireless broadband router to create a wireless network
in order to use the internet with my laptop. This part seems to be working
fine. The name of the network is maxeynetowork. Then I tried to set up a
shared folder and tried to set up so I could print from my laptop using the
printer hardwired to my desktop. I used the network setup wizard and ran
the wizard on both PC. I used the default name msHome as the network name.
The wizard ran successfully on both PCs. With both PC's I can drill down to
the msHome network in MyNetwork places. What I can't do is drag a shared
folder to msHome or set up the printer. Is there any step by step
procedures to do this manually without the wizard? Thanks.