run out of ideas now!

Old Grizzly

Jan 18, 2003, 11:45:12 AM1/18/03
I have 3 machines all running XP Pro and all on a hub. I have used Internet
Connection Sharing Wiz.

Each one can communicate to the others to read disks etc etc (Number 1 is
the m/c connected to the Cable Modem)

However only number 1 and 3 can connect to the internet.
Each has Zone Alarm but it doesn't seem to be that because I can shut down
ZA on either or both and it makes no difference. When I try to connect to
the internet with that machine I just get *that page is unavailable* or the
server cannot be found if I try OE connection.

I am lost for anymore ideas at the moment, can you shed any ideas as to
either a solution or perhaps a means to more clearly find the source of the
problem.

--
Len

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional
http://www.cadskill.co.uk

ICQ 70424303
old_g...@SPAMblueyonder.co.uk
( Remove SPAM to send email)

Robert L

Jan 18, 2003, 1:27:14 PM1/18/03
check DNS settings on the 2. or post ipconfig /all here.

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Old Grizzly" <old_g...@SPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Old Grizzly

Jan 18, 2003, 2:05:53 PM1/18/03

"Robert L" <bobl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Thanks Here is ipconfig from 2 :-

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SECOND

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mshome.net

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet
Adapter(LNE100TX v4)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-5A-5F-3C-B7

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 18 January 2003 19:01:11

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 25 January 2003 19:01:11

Robert L

Old Grizzly

Jan 18, 2003, 4:56:02 PM1/18/03

"Robert L" <bobl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Hi Robert

PC 1 dns server = 62.30.64.114
PC 3 dns server = 192.168.0.1

no this m/c (no. 2) was set up only using ICS as was m/c 3.

HTH

Regards

Ken Wickes [MS]

Jan 18, 2003, 7:33:15 PM1/18/03
Try uninstalling ZoneAlarm, disabling it may not be enough. If that helps
you should be able to reinstall it.

"Old Grizzly" <old_g...@SPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Old Grizzly

Jan 19, 2003, 7:32:50 AM1/19/03

"Old Grizzly" <old_g...@SPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
I have solved the problem! machine 3 had tcp/ip property of obtain DNS
server address automatically while machine 2 had Use the following DNS
server address with the ip address as described above (although both were
set up using ICS). I changed it to get the dns server automatically and all
is well now.

Many thanks for your help

Roger

Jan 19, 2003, 7:03:14 PM1/19/03
I think the problem is with your zone alarm setups.
Ive had this problem myself, even uninstalling zone alarm
doesnt fix it as the log files are still blocking the
machines IP. Firstly try disabling Zone alarm on all
machines and see how it goes. If that lets you through
then search delete all zone alarm files not just
uninstall it and then reset it up and "Trust" each
machine IP address, this fixed the problem for me. ICS
and most firewalls on XP have trouble. Especially if the
machines firewalls have been running without being set up
on ICS. Hope this helps.

>.

TOM

Jan 19, 2003, 7:11:49 PM1/19/03
Best way I found was to get a router.It will make your
life a lot easier.
>.

steve

Jan 20, 2003, 11:46:24 AM1/20/03

the easiest way to do it is to uninstall Zone alarm reboot.
Connect all the computers make sure you can access the net
then install Zonealrm again use the Network wizard.

If you dont wnat to go thru this, under firewall give
permisiions manualy to the network set them to internet or
trusted if you look in the alert log you will see that
they are being blocked.

If you need more help try connecting the post your ZAP
alert log so I can point you in the right direction.

Steve

>.

steve

Jan 20, 2003, 11:46:50 AM1/20/03