WSAStartup problem

Jamie Dennis

Nov 8, 2003, 8:54:48 PM11/8/03
Hello,

I am getting this error message:

WSANOTINITIALISED

10093
Successful WSAStartup not yet performed.

Either the application hasn't called WSAStartup or
WSAStartup failed. The application may be accessing a
socket which the current active task does not own (i.e.
trying to share a socket between tasks), or WSACleanup has
been called too many times.

I do NOT program on my PC, so it is not because of code
that I have written. This message first occurred after I
noticed my wireless (Linksys) card was not working and
went to use the Linksys config tool.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

Jamie

Ken Wickes [MSFT]

Nov 10, 2003, 4:50:25 PM11/10/03
What program gives this message?

Also open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /renew" and see if there is an
error.

--

Ken Wickes [MSFT]

"Jamie Dennis" <jaden...@ameritech.net> wrote in message

David Benedict

Dec 10, 2003, 2:54:46 PM12/10/03
I have starteed recieving this error in my event viewer.
The error is posted by the Service Control Manager. Net
Logon fails because WSAStartup failed as well.

This is a very strange message. Anyone with answers out
there would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

>.

Ken Wickes [MSFT]

Dec 10, 2003, 4:18:58 PM12/10/03
This could be a Winsock catalog error

I have traced several of these problems to improperly configured winsock
LSPs. Run "winmsd" and go to Components/Network/Protocol. Look at the
names in the list, anything with "MSAFD" in it or the "RSVP xxx Service
Provider" should be fine. Anything else is suspect, and uninstalling the
owning program might help.

If that fails or your provider list is empty, you may need to rebuild the
catalog from scratch. The following instructions will rebuild your catalog
for TCP/IP. If you are using any other transports (If you don't know, then
you probably aren't) then you will have to reinstall them as well.

1. Backup and delete the following registry keys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

2. Reboot

3. Go to the network connections folder, right click the icon for your
network connection, and select properties.

4. Click install, choose "protocol", and click "add..."

5. Click "Have Disk...", enter "\windows\inf", click OK

6. Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click OK

7. When the process in complete, reboot

--

Ken Wickes [MSFT]

"David Benedict" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message