Cannot connect to Internet from one client

barrowhill

Oct 22, 2005, 2:58:02 PM10/22/05
Confused.........

I have a PC which has had a re-install and activation of Windows XP home
addition.

It is a client PC on a home network. It is the only one of 4 PC that cannot
connect to the internet. There is (as yet) no AV installed, nor Firewall
installed or activated and I've even tried to set up with static IP address.
Still won't connect. The ICS Host PC has Panda Platinum 7 installed. ALL
other PC's are happily working through this. Can anyone help me????

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Oct 22, 2005, 3:20:43 PM10/22/05
Do a simple test. can you ping a public IP? if yes, can you ping yahoo.com? if not, check the DNS settings. this page may help,

How to troubleshoot internet access issues
How to troubleshoot the Internet Access issues. You just setup a network and all networking computers can see each other. However, you have one of some ...
www.howtonetworking.com/Internet/internetaccess0.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

barrowhill

Oct 22, 2005, 5:04:01 PM10/22/05
Robert,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I need time to digest but one thing
immediately pops to mind is ".....can you ping Public IP". I understand
ping, but can you explain "Public IP". Thanks

Jack

Oct 22, 2005, 6:01:20 PM10/22/05
Hi

Are you sure that the computer has a Valid Network with the Host Computer?

Might be that the Network connection per-se is Not set correctly on this
computer.

In General, you can debug the Network Setting of the computer following
these steps.

Step One. Check the Network parameters in the Computer's Device Manager.
Make sure that the drivers are installed correctly; there is No IRQ
conflict, and No Ghost installation. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost

Step Two Verify Basic network setting in the OS:
http://www.ezlan.net/Installing#verify

If the above two Steps indicates that every thing looks good but
functionally it does not work.

Step Three. Check (and repair if necessary) the Socket Layers, Winsock, and
or refresh the TCP/IP Stack. http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet

If need to Reinstall; Log to this page it have a lot of links to
instructions for Windows Network Installation -
http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

ICS configuration here, http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/

Jack (MVP-Networking).

P.S. Cable/DSL Router are available in the USA on sales for $10 and less,
there is No good reason to keep using Software NAT, unless you are stuck
with a USB Modem.

"barrowhill" <barro...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Oct 22, 2005, 8:41:06 PM10/22/05
you can ping 4.2.2.1. this page may give you more information how to troubleshooting internet access step by step.

How to Setup Network, Internet Sharing, Remote Access and VPN Step by Step Guide ... None of the networking computers can access the Internet. ...
www.howtonetworking.com/Internet/internetaccess0.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

barrowhill

Oct 23, 2005, 3:29:03 AM10/23/05
Robert,

Thanks for info.......Please see also reply to Jack; save double typing.
Welcome your input on question posed.

barrowhill

Oct 23, 2005, 3:40:01 AM10/23/05
Jack (and Robert)

Thanks fo r your reply. Problem was resolved by running a Winsock Repair
utility. I can now access the internet from this client. I do however have
a question which now puzzles me.

The client had not AV or firewall when winsock fix run. When completed,
access to the internet was successful. The network connection properties
showed auto IP addressing. Windows updates performed successfully. So far so
good......

Panda Platinum v7 AV and Firewall then installed. I could no longer access
the internet. Access was only achieved by setting up a STATIC IP address for
the client PC. I have to admit that all other client PC's have Panda
installed and they also set up with static IP's.

Is this normal or is there something else that requires looking at??
Appreciate your response.