New to XP - Cominfr from ME/98 home metwork

Jack D. Slater

Feb 1, 2003, 9:45:21 AM2/1/03
I have 2 pcs with 98 and 1 now with XP home (used to be ME). Current
network is cable modem to hub where all 3 are connected. Using DHCP but
Cable Co. has 3 IP's registered.

(1) After my XP install can no longer see the other 2 PC's?
(2) I understand XP supports connection sharing so perhaps I can eliminate
cost of 2 IPs?
(3) I have bought, but not installed, a wireless router and 1 PCMCIA card
for laptop (1 of 3 on network) and would like suggestions on how to set up
after get the whole network working.

EZ FAQ out there to follow or any directions appreciated! Thanks.

Jack D. Slater

Robert L

Feb 1, 2003, 10:14:36 AM2/1/03
1. Another common problem in mixed (win9x, NT, ME, Win2K and XP) workgroup
network is name resolution. If you can ping IP but not computer name, this
may be a NetBIOS issue. You may try to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on
win2K/XP if you don't have WINS server.

2. Yes. use XP ICS.

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Jack D. Slater" <jdsl...@mchsi.com> wrote in message

Jack D. Slater

Feb 1, 2003, 1:44:16 PM2/1/03
I enabled Netbios over TCP/IP but still nothing from either direction. XP
Machine displays 1 of the other 2 PCs in the workgroup now but no access to
or from it. Does not even show the 3rd PC yet.

"Robert L" <bobl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Robert L

Jack D. Slater

Feb 2, 2003, 10:57:19 AM2/2/03
I ran winipcfg on 2 pcs and returned no ip addresses but yet all 3 can get
out to the net - winipcfg must not be included with XP???

Stumped!!!

"Robert L" <bobl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Robert L

Feb 3, 2003, 9:40:54 AM2/3/03
1. use ipconfig /all (not winipcfg).
2. any errors on event viewer? if you have browser errors, you may want to
stop computer browser service on xp.
3. also make sure no ICF running on xp.