Networking XP Pro peer to peer environment

1 view

Bill Marquardt

Aug 7, 2003, 12:54:28 PM8/7/03
I must be missing something simple. I have a small office
with two XP pro computers connected together in a peer to
peer environment. We turn these off at night. Obviously
one must be turned on first in the morning so we turn the
one that acts as a 'server' first.

We also sync data between the two machines (for archive
purposes) using a batch file primarily with Xcopy. If we
run the batch file on the 'server' it can't find the
mapped drive on the second computer unless you reconnect
it first. It's not connected to the remote drive as
needed.

There must be a setting to prevent this but I'm not sure
where it's hiding. It was easy in 9x but I haven't
figured this out yet.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Regards,

Bill

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Aug 7, 2003, 4:49:50 PM8/7/03
what do you mean it can't find the mapped drive on the second computer
unless you reconnect it first"? any errors? assuming you don't use
reconnection, does the batch has net use command?

--
For more and other information, go to
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Bill Marquardt" <bi...@ocdirect.com> wrote in message

Bill Marquardt

Aug 7, 2003, 9:02:25 PM8/7/03
Sorry that I wasn't clear enough. Let me try again.

2 XP Pro computers on a peer to peer network. Computer1
(the 'server') is turned on first in the morning. It has a
drive mapping (through Windows Explorer Drive mapping)
of 'Q' which is a folder on Computer2. 'Q' is mapped as
\\computer2\data.

On Computer 2, there is a drive mapped 'P' to a folder on
Computer 1. It's mapping is \\computer1\data. This one
isn't a problem.

In a Win 9x environment, at logon you could have the
drives be re-established or use Quick logon and log the
drives only when needed. I haven't found an equivalent in
XP.

When Computer1 tries to access the 'Q' mapped drive, it
will return an error (and I'm not being precise here) that
the drive doesn't exist or isn't available. It (the remote
drive) shows on the computer1 as being disconnected since
it couldn't connect during logon.

If you double click the mapped drive in My computer / Win
Explorer / whatever, it finds the drive immediately and
then you can run the batch program I referred to in the
first message.

Is there a way to establish the drive mapping
automatically after logon? I am thinking about using
the 'net use' command you mentioned but I had never done
that in a batch file to force a mapping, only in a logon
script.

Thanks for taking the time with this.

Regards,

- Bill -