Unable to connect to the Internet

Peter

Aug 18, 2003, 9:28:31 AM8/18/03
It seems from reading postings on this newsgroup that many
people in one way or another are unable to connect to the
internet after applying the Microsoft "worm" patch. In all
cases either a dial up or LAN connection and Logon is
made.However, when you try to access the internet eoither
through Internet Explorere, Email or other Windows based
programs such as Symantec Live Update, you can't. Internet
Exploer returns a message "cannot locate server or DNS
error. If you PING using the ping command, all appears
normal, however, ping runs in a DOS Window. It appears
that any program running in windows XP is not able to
recognize either the dial up or Lan connection. This has
become a real problem and we need help.

I, and I am sure a number of people, would also appreciate
any help on this.

Peter Vreeswijk

Aug 18, 2003, 9:56:23 AM8/18/03
Reply:
We seem to have exactly the same problem over here. I can
confirm that any help is welcome!!!!
Greetings from Holland

>.

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Aug 18, 2003, 10:55:52 AM8/18/03
OK. Let's figure out the problem. can you post the results of ping yahoo.com
and nslookup command? Also post the result of tracert yahoo.com here. Thank
you.

--
For more and other information, go to
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Peter" <pwk...@nac.net> wrote in message

Peter

Aug 18, 2003, 11:13:22 AM8/18/03
I can but the computer is at home.
>.

Jim Campbell

Aug 18, 2003, 1:43:33 PM8/18/03
Environment: SP1 and worm patch installed; firewall and
McAfee Viruscan disabled. Please assist with this
problem. Many other user's laptops have become useless
because of it.

>I have a P4 XP-home laptop. My normal connection is
>wireless 802.11b through a router to DSL modem. I can
>establish a dial-up connection if I disable wireless
>connection. However, while dial-up connection is
active,
>I can ping local and host addresses, and DNS works fine,
>but browser and email clients won't work, even after
>manually enabling NetBios over Tcpip. If I then remove
>dial-up connection, and re-enable wireless, I get msg
>that "TCPIP transport not installed", and clients will
>not function and cannot ping on wireless connection.
>Must then restore system and reboot.
>
>Can this problem be solved by tweaking registries and
>avoiding OS re-install? Following detail provided in
>response to earlier posted response by Pat\MSFT\
>
>While wireless disabled, and dial-up connected,
>
>IPCONFIG reports:
>
>Windows IP Configuration
>

> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : CAMPBELL_VPR
>
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
>
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

>Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>

> Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media
>disconnected
>
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R)
>PRO/100 VE Network Connection
>
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-F0-76-
>84-52
>

>PPP adapter Cell Phone Dial-up:
>

> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
>
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN
>(PPP/SLIP) Interface
>
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-
>00-00
>
> Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :
>255.255.255.255

165.87.201.243

> NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
>

>NETSTAT Repo
>Active Connections
>
> Proto Local Address Foreign Address
>State
> TCP CAMPBELL_VPR:epmap CAMPBELL_VPR:0
>LISTENING
> TCP CAMPBELL_VPR:microsoft-ds
>CAMPBELL_VPR:0 LISTENING
> TCP CAMPBELL_VPR:1025 CAMPBELL_VPR:0
>LISTENING
> TCP CAMPBELL_VPR:1027 CAMPBELL_VPR:0
>LISTENING
> TCP CAMPBELL_VPR:5000 CAMPBELL_VPR:0
>LISTENING
> TCP CAMPBELL_VPR:5679 CAMPBELL_VPR:0
>LISTENING
> UDP CAMPBELL_VPR:microsoft-ds
>*:*
> UDP CAMPBELL_VPR:1026 *:*
> UDP CAMPBELL_VPR:1036 *:*
> UDP CAMPBELL_VPR:ntp *:*
> UDP CAMPBELL_VPR:1900 *:*
> UDP CAMPBELL_VPR:ntp *:*
> UDP CAMPBELL_VPR:1077 *:*
> UDP CAMPBELL_VPR:1900 *:*
>rts:
>

>.

Peter Vreeswijk

Aug 19, 2003, 9:28:10 AM8/19/03
Ok, here are the results:

ping yahoo.com:
can not find host yahoo.com check name and try again
(translated from dutch).
tracert yahoo.com:
can't find the address for server yahoo.com No response
from server.
nslookup:
can't find server name for address 195.121.1.34. No
response from server.
can't find server name for address 195.121.1.66. No
response from server.
Default server is not available.
Default server is unknown.
Adress: 195.121.1.34.

I hope you can do something with this information.
Greetings and thanks from Peter in Holland.

>.

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Aug 19, 2003, 11:50:05 AM8/19/03
1. make sure Remote Procedure Call (RPC) is running on the services.
2. any errors on event viewer?
3. can you ping a public ip like 4.2.2.1?
4. Sounds like DNS issue. please post ipconfig /all here.

Thanks.

--
For more and other information, go to
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Peter Vreeswijk" <automat...@sfbag.nl> wrote in message

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Peter Vreeswijk

Aug 20, 2003, 2:39:15 AM8/20/03
Ok, her e are the answers:
1)RPC is running
2)No errors are visible in de EV.
3)Ping to 4.2.2.1 works fine.
4)IPconfig /all:
Hostname :Bert
Node type :Broadcast
IP routing enabled: no
wins proxy enabled: no

PPP Adapter Planet (provider)

Physcal address: 00-53-45-00-00
dhcp enabled: no
ip address: 195.121.118.179
subnet mask: 255.255.255.255
def. gateway: 195.121.118.179
dns servers: 195.121.1.34 199.166.29.3
netbios over tcpip: no

Thanks and greetings, Peter.

>.

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Aug 20, 2003, 11:33:54 AM8/20/03
Can you ping yahoo.com? if not, try this quoted from
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech
Can ping public IPs but not web sites

Symptoms: 1. You can ping any public IPs but not web sites. 2. The routing
table and ipconfig look OK but you can't browse any web sites.

Resolutions: 1. Check the DNS, for example using nslookup to
troubleshooting.
2. To test, disable any firewall. If it works after disabling firewall,
re-configure the firewall and make sure the firewall doesn't black port 43..
3. Check the status of winsock.dll, wsock32.dll or download winsockfix to
fix the problem
4. Also try to disable DNS client service if you don't have domain network
or use ipconfig /flushdns to purge the DNS resolver cache.
5. Apply SP.
6. Try to logon another user.
7. Check Event Viewer for any errors
8. Remove and re-install NIC with latest drive.
9. Assign static IP, Gateway and DNS manually.

--
For more and other information, go to
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Peter Vreeswijk" <automat...@sfbag.nl> wrote in message

Peter Vreeswijk

Aug 21, 2003, 8:48:13 AM8/21/03
Now we have connection to the internet,It works! I have
download a winsockfix for xp and execute it! everything
works, browsing, sending and receiving emails. Thanks for
your help!

Robert L [MS-MVP]