No Internet But Everything Else

1 view

Ron

Dec 10, 2003, 8:52:02 AM12/10/03
My PC had tons of spyware so I ran Spybot and removed 147
problems. It did a great job of cleaning it out but now
I have no Internet access.

I have an IP address, Subnet and DNS. I can update
Norton Antivirus and other web based programs. I can
ping everything. My network works fine.

I tried flusing the DNS, reversing Spybot, uninstalling
and reinstalling IE 6. I also tried several other
things. I even set to Default all IE security settings
but no matter what I try I can't get IE on the Internet.

It appears as though something has inserted itself into
or was not removed from TCP/IP.

ME and 98 has a procedure that allows you to remove the
Winsock2 and MSTCP registry entries, uninstall and then
reinstall dial-up networking to replace them, but XP
doesn't appear to have that flexibility and I am affraid
to try it without some input. I don't have time to be
reinstalling Windows and all apps right now.

I am almost certain all I have to do is uninstall and
reinstall TCP/IP in XP.

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Ron

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Dec 10, 2003, 9:41:48 AM12/10/03
quoted from http://www.ChicagoTech.net
Can ping public IPs but not web sites

Symptoms: 1. You can ping any public IPs but not web sites. 2. The routing
table and ipconfig look OK but you can't browse any web sites.

Resolutions: 1. Check the DNS, for example using nslookup to
troubleshooting.
2. To test, disable any firewall. If it works after disabling firewall,
re-configure the firewall and make sure the firewall doesn't black port 43..
3. Check the status of winsock.dll, wsock32.dll or download winsockfix to
fix the problem
4. Also try to disable DNS client service if you don't have domain network
or use ipconfig /flushdns to purge the DNS resolver cache.
5. Apply SP.
6. Try to logon another user.
7. Check Event Viewer for any errors
8. Remove and re-install NIC with latest drive.
9. Assign static IP, Gateway and DNS manually.
--
For more and other information, go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Ron" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

anon...@discussions.microsoft.com

Dec 10, 2003, 9:59:51 PM12/10/03
Robert...

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate you taking the
time to help.

These are probably stupid questions to you but here goes
anyway:

How do I use nslookup?

How do I, "Check the status of winsock.dll, wsock32.dll"?

There is no firewall other than Microsofts and it has
never been enabled.

I flushed the DNS - nothing

Again, I thank you for your help, Robert.

Ron

Robert L [MS-MVP]

anon...@discussions.microsoft.com

Dec 14, 2003, 9:49:49 AM12/14/03
Robert...

The Winsockfix did the trick!

Exactly what is the winsockfix doing? I know it removes
and reinstalls winsock2 entries, anything else?

Thank you!

Ron