Need help with XP/ME shareing problem

1 view

tcb2

Jan 18, 2003, 11:35:04 AM1/18/03
I have 2 systems, 1 with WinME and the main one with WinXP. I have them
hooked up to a router, and they already share the internet but I want them
to share files and printer also. The protocals are set for both and I can
ping both systems with a reply. My problem is XP system see's ME systems
drives but ME system comes up with a blank screen in my Network Places. No
antivious running on either system, Option dimmed out for searching when
trying to search through Network Places. I have drives on XP set for
shareing also. Anyone have an idea what might be wrong or needed. Thanks.

Robert L

Jan 18, 2003, 1:35:50 PM1/18/03
many possibilities.

1. make sure you have created the same workgroup and logon the same
username.
2. enable netbios over tcp/ip on xo.
3. make sure no firewall running.
4. if you are using simple file sharing, disable it and re-share it
manually.

--
For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"tcb2" <tcb...@comcast.net> wrote in message

PT

Jan 18, 2003, 3:45:05 PM1/18/03
I'm no expert, but when I had a very similar problem it
was cured by adding another protocol to one or the other
machines. TCP had to be on both for the Internet
sharing, so I think it was netbeui or something which I
had to add to the other one. Sorry that's not very
explicit, but I got it by (at least) a million trials.
Maybe someone a little more able than I can be precise
about which one you need!
>.

kralcd

Jan 18, 2003, 5:08:00 PM1/18/03
Ref below. This was driving me crazy!!!!!! Finally found that XP was missing
the NETBEUI protocol.
Two Points....Install NETBEUI Protocol (for your netword adapter)....select
"enable netbios over tcpip" in your TCPIP.....Advanced...Wins
Option......hope this helps you as it helped me!!
---------
Thank You Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE!!!!!
While I had enabled Netbios over TCPIP in WINS, the reference to Microsoft
knowledgebase article
Q301041 did the trick. Specifically, NetBEUI was not installed and therefore
even though I specified it to be used it was unavailable (would have been
nice if XP had told me that). In any event once I followed the instructions
in Q301041 and installed NetBeui my Win XP / Win 98 machines communicated
up a storm.....
I have seen so many references to these mixed environments being unable to
communicate that I would post this solution everywhere (if I knew where
"everywhere" was) (I would also include NETBEUI in XP by default)
Again........Thank You Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE!!!!!

-------------------------------------
"Robert L" <bobl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

gor...@yahoo.com

Jan 18, 2003, 10:42:52 PM1/18/03
Same problem with my setup, using XP on one PC and ME on
the other: both hooked to a router (NAT compliant
gateway), but opposite effect, ME can see all shared
resources on the XP system, but XP does not see the ME
system at all except with ping. No idea how to remedy
this. Any help appreciated.

>.

mmou...@blueyonder.co.uk

Jan 19, 2003, 4:45:52 PM1/19/03
>.
>I have opposite, I have 3 pc's 1x xp and 2 x98se both
running 98 see xp machine but xp machine does not see
98's they can both use my broadband conection as I have 2
nic's installed on xp and have ICS activated.
If you get anywhere please let me know. I have run the so
called network wizard about 6 times still no joy.

Thanks