System Restore ... Cant Restore ?

Redman

Nov 19, 2002, 4:01:39 PM11/19/02
I'd like to know as well as I tried to do this today and got the exact same
error message.

Redman

"Kendall" <behnk...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> All,
>
> Does anyone have any idea's on, how come "System Restore"
> is unable to restore.
>
> In other words, the application runs, but when you choose
> a previous restore point, XP attempts to restore ...
> reboots and then comes back with a message "It was unable
> to restore".
>
> You can choose any earlier restore point, but it doesn't
> matter. All restore points stop working.
>
> I have seen this several times, on different systems.
>
> Any and all suggestions welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Kendall

Morrigan

Nov 21, 2002, 4:02:02 AM11/21/02
ditto here
happened with XP Home and just now with XP Pro ...
when I saw this thread thought it was a fix :O)

Morrigan.
"Redman" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message
:I'd like to know as well as I tried to do this today and got the exact same
:error message.

:Redman

:Thanks,
:Kendall

---
Outgoing certified Virus Free.

Anshul Rawat [MS]

Nov 25, 2002, 3:45:22 PM11/25/02
Hi ! Guys,

Make sure you have sufficient free disk space on all your SR monitored
partitions for restore to take place. The reason for this is that for every
restore process, SR will create a restore point which needs adequate free
disk space before the restore proceess begins so that the user cna undo the
restore if needed. Also make sure you have the XP Service pack 1 installed
on your machien which has a fix for an issue where the restore process may
be failing due to issues with locked files. There are some key scenarios
which may be causing the System Restore restore process to fail and thus
causing the user not to return to a previous state using System Restore. Let
me try to explain these to you here. They are:

· Restore failures caused due to issues with locked files. During
the restore process some files which needed to be replaced/moved/deleted by
SR were locked by the system or some application and hence not accessible by
System Restore causing the restore to fail. This has been fixed in XP
Service Pack 1 and make sure you have it installed to mitigate this issue.

· Restore failures caused due to a restore point being corrupt
which can be caused by an inconsistency between the file entries in the
System Restores file change log and those that are actually backed up or
tracked by SR. Common causes for this are:

o Due to an improper shutdown of the machine which could have been
caused by the user or due to a sudden power loss (power outage). What
happens here is that the SR may have been in the process of tracking a file
and added an entry for it to the SR change log to track. Now, during the
process of the file actually being copied/moved over to the restore point
directory or elsewhere onto the system, a power outage or dirty shutdown
occurs causing the copy/move to be incomplete or corrupted. This now causes
an inconsistency in the change log for that restore point as an entry for a
file exists but the file itself may not or be corrupted.

o Due to another filter driver underneath SR for e.g. some bad
antivirus filter which may have modified, moved or corrupted an SR tracked
file without SRs knowledge. Similar to the case above, an entry for the file
exists in the SR change log but the file itself may have been corrupted or
missing altogether from where SR thinks it should be without SRs knowledge
causing the restore to fail.

o Due to changes made to files on a system from another OS (in case
of dual boot OS scenarios). For e.g. I make changes to some key application
or system files or simply move a file SR was tracking for a restore point
from the expected location to another while I'm booted into my Win2K OS and
not XP. Since SR has no knowledge of this change, when you try to do the
restore to that restore point, there is now an inconsistency related to the
file and SR will fail the restore.

o Due to changes made to an SR tracked file on a removable drive for
restore point while the drive was connected to another machine. Similar to
the case above SR will have no knowledge of the change and will have an
inconsistency.

For any of these cases whenever you try to use that restore point for a
restore, the restore process will fail due to the file missing or having
been corrupted from SR's perspective. Since all SR restore points are
chained together, any restore point prior to the affected restore point will
also be useless to you for a restore. So once the restore fails due to this,
restores to any restore poitn rpior to that one will also fail and so dont
waste time trying to restore to them.

Hope this gives you more perspective on why the restores may be failing. Do
you think that any one of these scenarios could have occured on your
machine? Thanks

--
Anshul Rawat[MS]
System Restore, Windows XP

For additional information on System Restore please visit:
http://microsoft.com/technet/itcommunity/Newsgroups/FAQSRWXP.asp

--
Anshul Rawat[MS]
System Restore, Windows XP

For additional information on System Restore please visit:
http://microsoft.com/technet/itcommunity/Newsgroups/FAQSRWXP.asp

"Morrigan" <NOT)gemms...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Mark G.

Nov 25, 2002, 9:13:11 PM11/25/02
none of those would seem to apply to me;

i have cab'd my file etc per your instructions; where to send?

mark

ma...@nospam.pacbell.net

"Anshul Rawat [MS]" <ans...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anshul Rawat [MS]

Nov 26, 2002, 6:12:41 PM11/26/02
If you can upload that file to the MS FTP site as per instructions here that
would be great. Once you have uploaded it, please post a message here
letting me know to go grab
it from the ftp and well take a look at it. Thanks for your help.
To send us the cab please follow the following instructions as you cannot
send them to us as attachments. Upload to the /windows folder on the ftp and
name the two files as 'forSRteam'. It should hopefully help us get to the
bottom of the problem. Thanks

SUMMARY

=======

This article explains how to send files to Microsoft Product Support
Services if a Microsoft Support Professional requests that you do so.

MORE INFORMATION

================

To send files to Microsoft Product Support Services::

NOTE: This method of sending files to Product Support Services is standard
across products. However, the directory location for files is different for
each product.

1. At a command prompt, FTP to ftppss.microsoft.com.

2. Log on as ANONYMOUS, and use your e-mail address as the password. For

example, if your e-mail address is JoeS...@microsoft.com, use that as your

password.

3. You are now logged on to the Microsoft FTP server.

4. To change the directory, type the following command:

cd /incoming/mail

NOTE: Depending on which group you are working with, the above "mail"
directory can be replaced by any of the following:

/com+

/developer

/gls

/hiserver

/iis

/mail

/misc

/mom

/msmq

/premier

/sms

/sql

/webresponse

/windows

/windowsce

/xbox

Also note that this list is subject to change.

5. You are now in the correct directory to upload the file.

6. The command to upload a file may vary based on the utility that you use.

Typically the command is similar to the following:

put <file name>

Before you perform the command, make sure that you are in binary mode. For

more information on how to set the FTP transfer mode to binary, see the

following example of a customer FTP session:

C:\>ftp ftppss.microsoft.com.

Connected to ftppss.microsoft.com.

220 tkmsftftpf01 Microsoft FTP Service (Version 5.0).

User (ftppss.microsoft.com:(none)): anonymous

331 Anonymous access allowed, send identity (e-mail name) as password.

Password:

230-This is FTPPSS.MICROSOFT.COM.

230 Anonymous user logged in.

ftp> cd /incoming/mail

250 CWD command successful.

ftp> binary

200 Type set to I.

ftp> put mailfile.zip

200 PORT command successful.

150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for mailfile.zip.

226 Transfer complete.

3800 bytes sent in 1.01 seconds (3.80 Kbytes/sec)

ftp> bye

221 Thank-you for using Microsoft products!

NOTE: Unless a Microsoft Support Professional advises you to follow a
different procedure, place the files in a zipped format, and use the case
number as the file name (for example, SRX970228699123.zip).

The following are the various directories available under /incoming/:

/com+

/developer

/gls

/hiserver

/iis

/mail

/misc

/mom

/msmq

/premier

/sms

/sql

/webresponse

/windows

/windowsce

/xbox

For example, if files need to be sent to support professionals on a Windows
NT issue, the directory for Step 4 would be:

/incoming/windows

Thanks

--
Anshul Rawat[MS]
System Restore, Windows XP

For additional information on System Restore please visit:
http://microsoft.com/technet/itcommunity/Newsgroups/FAQSRWXP.asp

"Mark G." <ma...@nospam.net> wrote in message

Mark G.

Nov 27, 2002, 12:25:17 AM11/27/02
just uploaded the two files and a note, all zipped together and named as you
instructed: "forSRteam.zip"
let me know what you find, and if there is any way to fix it, as well as any
way to restore to a prior point.

thanks,

mark

"Anshul Rawat [MS]" <ans...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Danno

Nov 27, 2002, 7:00:12 PM11/27/02
Hi Mark and Anshul,

Holy shit, what are you guys talking about? You're both way above my head,
that's for sure!

Anshul, I'm the same Danno that you are working with re: System Restore and
Real Player.

Kendall, Redman, and Morrigan (sounds like a bunch of Irish thugs)! I also
had the same problem about 6 months ago. I have a slightly different
problem with System Restore right now than you guys do, but Anshul is
working on it.

Hang in there guys! What do you say, you all just drop your stuff and come
up here to Canada for a beer?

Best regards to all!

Danno

"Mark G." <ma...@nospam.net> wrote in message

Anshul Rawat [MS]

Dec 4, 2002, 1:18:46 PM12/4/02
Hi! Mark

Im unable to find the file on the FTP server. Did you upload it to
/incoming/windows folder? Can you please upload it again for us so we can
try to figure out the issue with your machine. Thanks

--
Anshul Rawat[MS]
System Restore, Windows XP

For additional information on System Restore please visit:
http://microsoft.com/technet/itcommunity/Newsgroups/FAQSRWXP.asp

Mark G.

Dec 6, 2002, 5:34:19 AM12/6/02
i put it in the wrong directory...."mail"

now its in "windows"

thanks for the followup

mark

"Anshul Rawat [MS]" <ans...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anshul Rawat [MS]

Dec 9, 2002, 1:27:42 PM12/9/02
No Problems Mark,

We looked at the cabs and it seems that something moved/deleted QFProdat.ini
without the System Restore filter's knowlege, so now restore can't perform
the rename operation on this file.

1457,1392,220717, Rename, Fail, 1168, C:\Program
Files\QUICKENW\inet\common\qfpdata\QFProdat.ini, C:\Config.Msi\28045fb.rbf,

Do you know of any action you may have taken which may have caused this to
have happenned like modifying or moving the file when booted into a
different OS? At this point, this restore point and any restore point prior
to this one are useless for restore as the restore will feep failing due to
the file being missing. Hope this helps. Thanks

--
Anshul Rawat [MSFT]
System Restore, Windows XP

For additional information on System Restore please visit:
http://microsoft.com/technet/itcommunity/Newsgroups/FAQSRWXP.asp

"Mark G." <ma...@nospam.net> wrote in message

Mark G.

Dec 14, 2002, 3:03:18 AM12/14/02
Thanks for the response.

the only operating system on this computer, ever, is winxp. nothing else.

i did do some beta testing on quicken 2003.

but i also tried to create a new data restore point, reboot, and restore to
that point (the one i did 5 minutes earlier). and it still didnt work.

???

what do i do to fix this? since nothing before, or after, the quicken
restore point works, perhaps i should just shut it down, and start over?

mark

"Anshul Rawat [MS]" <ans...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Abq

Dec 19, 2002, 1:10:36 AM12/19/02
I've recently installed XP pro and have consistently lost all Restore
Points. In event viewer is the following:

"Event Type: Error
Event Source: sr
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1
Date: 12/16/02
Time: 12:06:17 AM
User: N/A
Computer: USER-COMP
The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000040'
while processing the file 'Wicca-Tibe .. Bells.lnk' on the volume
'HarddiskVolume2'. It has stopped monitoring the volume.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00 ......N.
0008: 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 c0 .......À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........"

This file is processed by none other than REAL PLAYER.

Regards,

Steve

Mark G.

Dec 19, 2002, 1:41:47 AM12/19/02
update;

i erased all restore points by disabling restore, rebooting, then reenabling
it.

created a few restore points, but tried to restore today; no luck. same
error mesaage.

?????

Danno

Dec 29, 2002, 12:04:14 PM12/29/02
I also had a period of a few weeks where unbeknownst to me, my System
Restore Points were quietly disappearing. When I went to restore to one of
them, I nearly freaked out to find them all gone. MVP Anshul Rawat clued me
in to look into the event viewer and I found the same thing. Real Player
will destroy your sys. restore points. I uninstalled Real Player and my
sys. restore has been working perfectly since.

I would like to know if a fix has been found yet? I actually like Real
Player because it seems to interact with more video news stories available
on the net than any other video player. But I won't have it on my computer
until it stops screwing with System Restore points. Does anyone know if a
fix will be found and approximately when?

Thanks,

Danno

"Abq" <albuqno...@comcast.net> wrote in message