Encrypted files cannot be open after reinstall Windows XP PRO

GKL

Jul 24, 2003, 5:04:50 PM7/24/03
THis happened to me 2 weeks ago after i reinstalled my Windows XP Pro &
service Pack 1a.

I couldn't open the previous encrypted file, when i tried to open them they
all said they were inaccesible and used by other device.

When i right clcik on one of the file and clicked adcance i saw my previouse
certificate which was used to encrypted the files.

The problem comes right here, i lost that certificate & how do i decrypt
those files which were previously encrypted.

Could anyone tell me how to get a trusted certificate for the Data Recovery
agent. Because i tried to create one but not successful.

Thanx in advance

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

Jul 24, 2003, 5:19:11 PM7/24/03
GKL,

You are seeing the correct behaviour of EFS under Windows XP.
If you did not create a Recovery agent and export it's keys or exported your
keys prior to the reinstall of the OS then you cannot recover those files.
Do you have a full backup of the user that encrypted the files Documents and
Settings folder structure ?

--
Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"GKL" <gary...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Jul 24, 2003, 5:39:09 PM7/24/03
Are you sure it is not an Ownership issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

If the files are encrypted.
If you did not back-up the encryption key or the Recovery Agent and
are not on a domain, the files are as good as gone.
This must be accomplished while you have access to the files.
If you have not already done so, it is now to late.

If you can restore the original profile (not recreate) you may be able
to recover the data.
Recreating profiles and passwords is irrelevant.
Contact Microsoft if you can restore the profile.
Or:
http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/efsrecovery/index.php

EFS is very good at what it does and there is no back door.
Read and understand these links before using EFS to keep from
permanently losing your data:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/techinfo/administration/recovery/default.asp
(58 pages)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=223316

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
An easier way to read newsgroup messages:

David

Jul 25, 2003, 7:55:11 PM7/25/03
"GKL" <gary...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in

Did you bother to red about XP's file encryption before using it?
Without the recovery agent made "Before" you lose access, you won't be
decyrpt the files. If you were ableto just can into the forums and get a
method to decrytp them, Encryption would be worthless. Anyone that wanted
to access you files would just get a decryption utility. Duh!

David