Data Execution Prevention

Khers

Jul 12, 2005, 3:10:28 AM7/12/05
Hi

Everytime I start my winxp I get this message:
Data Execution Prevention - Microsoft Windows
To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program.
Name: WMI
Publisher: Microsoft Corportation

Jose Francisco

Jul 12, 2005, 5:25:02 AM7/12/05
Greetings,

Take a look at both these Microsoft articles -

1. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875351
2. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875352
(Explanation of what 'Data Execution Prevention' is)

"Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a set of hardware and software
technologies that perform additional checks on memory to help prevent
malicious code from running on a system. In Microsoft Windows XP Service
Pack 2 (SP2) and Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, DEP is
enforced by hardware and by software.

The primary benefit of DEP is to help prevent code execution from data
pages. Typically, code is not executed from the default heap and the stack.
Hardware-enforced DEP detects code that is running from these locations and
raises an exception when execution occurs. Software-enforced DEP can help
prevent malicious code from taking advantage of exception-handling
mechanisms in Windows"

--
Best of Luck!
Jose Francisco

rights

"Khers" <kherse...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

moochifloo

Aug 31, 2005, 9:42:02 PM8/31/05
I have the same problem when I open windows explorer. how do I turn off DEP?

Ricky

Aug 31, 2005, 11:12:13 PM8/31/05
Have a look here..
http://www.tech-recipes.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=398#1125