question about pagefile sizes

sillyputty

Jul 30, 2007, 3:01:45 AM7/30/07
I have two HDs on a system with 2 gigs RAM. Alex Nichol on his website
(http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm) recommends using the secondary HD
for the largest pagefile.sys and setting at least a minimum pagefile
on the main drive. I currently have 2046 mb min and 4092 mb max set on
both drives. I regularly play 3D video games. Are these settings
optimal? If not, what should they be, or should they be set to system
managed size?

Vanguard

Jul 30, 2007, 3:43:02 AM7/30/07
"sillyputty" wrote in message

Video games should avoid ever trying to use virtual memory as it is far
too slow and will royally screw up gameplay. If you don't have enough
RAM to play the game, start unloading programs that are running in the
background to make room.

With 2GB RAM and 2 hard drives, my suggestion is to create a 2GB
pagefile on both hard drives. Set min and max to the same 2GB value to
reduce fragmentation of the pagefile.