Newsgroup privacy

inez

Oct 2, 2004, 8:08:59 PM10/2/04
Can someone tell me how to find information on how to set up privacy
information on these public newsgroups? I found "Using the Web-Based
Newsgroup" information which tells how to use an anonymous email address but
nothing for this group. It is frustrating to have my name reaped by all the
spammers each time I write you a note.
Thanks.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Oct 2, 2004, 8:24:00 PM10/2/04
Inez;
See this link:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/munad.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"inez" <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

Bob Hunt

Oct 2, 2004, 8:44:26 PM10/2/04
Thanks for the info. I've been receiving spam with virus attached after
posting on here.

--
HELP STOP SPAM
100% Accuracy and Zero False Positives
"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_...@hotnomail.com> wrote in message

Vanguardx

Oct 2, 2004, 10:44:41 PM10/2/04
"Bob Hunt" <hu...@cox-internet.com>
wrote in news:%23UixkIO...@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> Thanks for the info. I've been receiving spam with virus attached
> after posting on here.

Another oldie site describing how to munge your e-mail address is:

I've gone one step further. I use a separate account for
newsgroup-related e-mails. I rarely get any messages there from other
users of newsgroups (because, as I state in my signature, you should
reply to the newsgroup - I don't visit super-sensitive newsgroups, like
rape victim help, whistleblowing, or divulging security hacks). That
way anything to that account is known to have originated from its use in
newsgroups. Notice that I also require that the sender include a
passcode string in the Subject header. Sometimes pueriles will post
lists of unmunged e-mail address in an infantile attempt to punish
anyone that disagrees with them. However, should they publish my
unmunged e-mail address in such a post then I still won't get the spam.
Doesn't matter if they even include my signature in their "spam 'em"
post because the spambots won't extract or keep it. This doesn't stop
the spam from impinging the resources of my e-mail account provider but
a server-side rule in my account auto-deletes any e-mails that don't
include the passcode string. So I munge my e-mail address so humans can
read it but not spambots, and I use a passcode which eliminates someone
divulging an unmunged copy of my e-mail address in a deliberate attempt
to fill up my mailbox with spam or infected messages.

Obviously you don't want to do this on an e-mail account that you use
for getting messages from your friends or anyone to whom you wish to
communicate since it would be a nuisance for them to add the passcode
string and they probably will forget to add it. However, for the rare
occasion that someone needs to send me an e-mail that got initiated from
a newsgroup discussion (and feels a need to disconnect that content from
everyone else by taking it offline via e-mail), it isn't a big chore to
add the passcode string. If the account starts to get spammed or
slammed, tis easy 'nuff to change the passcode (and my signature).

I used to use e-mail aliases for my e-mail account (and which was also
munged), like from Sneakemail.com, but that didn't some the a-hole that
would unmunge my e-mail address and post it in a list of others at which
they wanted to energize spam and infected messages. So far, the
passcode method has worked very well. Someone else might have an even
better trick (in addition to munging your e-mail address). Anyone?

Of course, if you *never* want any e-mails initiated from newsgroups (or
by it getting divulged there) then don't even specify an e-mail address.
Use a completely bogus one but make sure it could never match an e-mail
address that could be inuse by someone else. Use something like
"nix-...@nix-domain.invalid". Even though nix-domain.com is not a
currently registered domain, someone could register it later and you
don't want to energize spam at their domain to waste their resources to
delete it. So use the .invalid TLD (top-level domain) to make sure any
messages using it will never get delivered (.invalid is reserved). The
newsreader client may not let you leave blank the e-mail settings for a
news account so you need to enter something. If you don't want to use
e-mail at all for newsgroups then enter bogus info for your e-mail info
in the newsgroup account.

Michael Stevens

Oct 3, 2004, 1:39:23 AM10/3/04

See my signature.