RE: XP reboots just before login screen

Andrew E

Jul 1, 2004, 7:37:02 PM7/1/04
Try entering the BIOS,exit page,select,"run set-up defaults" then
save changes and exit.

"purre57" wrote:

> Hi, I have a very strange problem!
>
> XP reboots just before login screen.
> The "Safe mode" (F8) does the same.
>
> I have a "OEM restore disk" but that disk will wipe out all my files so that's not an option.
> What to do?
>
> Tnx in advance, Purre

lvee

Jul 1, 2004, 8:56:02 PM7/1/04
click on the link and read the article to see if it can help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310396&Product=winxp

purre57

Jul 2, 2004, 3:16:02 PM7/2/04
Tnx for quick replys!
Andrew E: I will try that on monday when I get my hands on the PC again.
Ivee: I tried that, the last thing before I went crazy :-) took kernel32.dll from another XP with no success. I used the 6-diskette boot. Tnx anyway.
(btw its XP HOME)

Jeff

Jul 2, 2004, 3:47:46 PM7/2/04
I'm having the same problem! Very frustrating!

I've installed a second OS, so now have two Win XP installations on the same
drive. The first won't work. The second, which I just installed, works fine.
I tried replacing the Kernel32.dll file, but no luck.

I'm not exactly sure how to "run set-up defaults", but I'll give that a shot
now and let you know what happens. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear
them.

Thanks,
Jeff

"purre57" <pur...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jeff

Jul 2, 2004, 4:10:59 PM7/2/04
Ok, just tried resetting the BIOS defaults, but still no luck. It just
occured to me that resetting the BIOS shouldn't make a difference anyway if
I have two WinXP OS's installed on the same machine and one worked but the
other didn't.

I've tried running the WinXP installation disk to repair the damaged OS, but
I got an error when I tried.

Any ideas?

"Jeff" <jeffr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Jeff

Jul 2, 2004, 7:55:07 PM7/2/04
I tried to repair the damaged Windows XP installation, this time, when it
crashes, the following error message remains on the screen for about 60
seconds (before it quickly flashed and the computer reboot):
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.

If this is the first time you've sseen this Stop error screen, restart your
computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Run a system diagnostic utility supplied by your hardware manufacturer. In
particular, run a memory check for faulty or mismatched memory. Try changing
video adapters.

Disable or remove any newly installed hardware and drivers. Disable or
remove any newly installed software. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove
or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced
Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information: ***Stop: 0X0000007F
(0X00000008,0X80042000,0X00000000,0X00000000)

Begin dump of physical memory

Dumping physical memory to disk:

The new installation of Windows XP works fine, so not sure if it's a
hardware problem or what. Anyone have any ideas?

Jeff

"Jeff" <jeffr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

lvee

Jul 2, 2004, 10:13:01 PM7/2/04
thanks for supplying the error code number and message, that helps narrow down the possible solutions.
here are some articles to read. Although the exact message that I found is not quite the same as yours, Jeff, and purre57, you have none to supply, I'll list what I found anad you can decide if they apply.
First one;
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822789&Product=winxp

second one...lots to read for this one:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314466&Product=winxp

and another;
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842465&Product=winxp

and this;
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;137539&Product=winxp

Jeff

Jul 3, 2004, 1:22:39 PM7/3/04
Thanks for all the tips. I'm slowly working through them now and will let
you know as soon as I figure out what the problem is. Not sure if this helps
or not, but I was just finishing the installation of Zone Alarm firewall and
the system had to do a reboot, that's when all this started. Could that
program be responsible somehow?

I was running Norton System Works on that OS, don't know what version it
is/was of Norton Anti-Virus. The program doesn't appear to be in its
directory and I'm not entirely sure what happened to it. I believe I
uninstalled it before I installed Zone Alarm. Anyway, I don't think it's a
hardware problem because the second XP installation is working alright.

If you have any further ideas, please let me know.

Thanks for your help and I'll post here as I learn more.

Jeff

"lvee" <lv...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jeff

Jul 4, 2004, 1:47:51 PM7/4/04
After running trying the 'repair' option from the Windows XP installation CD
again, I was able to load up the OS in Safe Mode. I backed-up my files and
then used the Windows XP installation disk again to wipe the hard drive
clean and start fresh. I serious pain in the butt. I still have no idea what
caused the problem.

Jeff

"Jeff" <jeffr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

raymond

Jul 14, 2004, 9:30:02 AM7/14/04
got the same problem,i also had norton and zone alarm running i read that norton live update downloaded a corrupt file and zone alarm has some bugs
--
ray