Physical Memory Dump???

Phyllis

Feb 15, 2006, 10:37:44 AM2/15/06
I don't know if this is the proper newsgroup for this or not because I have
never had any experience with this particular problem. The problem is with
my laptop, Compaq Presario V2100, 512 RAM, AMD Athlon processor. Last week
my Windows XP got a corrupt Windows/System32/Config/System file and Windows
would not start up. I did not want to reinstall XP because of losing all my
stuff but I finally did last night. After reinstalling Windows and drivers.
I went to Microsoft updates to get all the updates needed for it. There
were 36 updates and it got through downloading 21 of them and the computer
did a "dump of physical memory" and restarted. It came up and said it had
just recovered from a serious error and I sent an error message to
Microsoft. It came back and said something about my hard drive (sorry, I
don't remember the exact wording). Now when I try to go online it goes into
this "dump of physical memory" and restarts. With this very limited
information, could someone please tell me if this is a XP problem or a hard
drive problem?

The stop code for this physical memory dump is as follows:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
***Stop: 0x00000001 (0x00000004, Ox00000002, Ox00000000, OxEE56A599)
***bcwl5.sys - address EE56A599 base at EE565000, Date Stamp 3e794ebe

I am on another computer so I can't copy and paste the events from the event
viewer so I will try to recreate them.

System Error Event ID: 1003
Error code 000000d1, parameter1 00000004, parameter2 00000002, parameter3
00000000, parameter4f67eb599.

Warning
Source: Disk
Event ID: 51
Desc: An error was detected on deivce \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging
operation.

Error
Source: atapi
Event ID: 9
Desc: The device, \Device\Ide\Ideport0, did not respond within the timeout
period.

Error
Source: atapi
Event ID: 26
Desc: The drive has detected that device \Device\Ide\Ideport0 has old or out
of date firmware. Reduced performance may result.

There are no yellow question marks in Device Manager.
My files were scanned and verified as digitally signed. It didn't show a
list or mention drivers.

I am at a loss of what to do now. I will need step by step directions for
any repairs. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Ted Zieglar

Feb 15, 2006, 10:50:17 AM2/15/06
Information on STOP error 0xD1:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0xd1

"The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper
addresses). It can also be caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged
pagefile."

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Phyllis" <som...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

Gerry Cornell

Feb 15, 2006, 12:54:27 PM2/15/06
Phyllis

I posted you this yesterday!

That is more positive. It a Broadcom driver. Try updating.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?lc=en&lang=en&cc=uk&product=500510&dlc=en&os=228

Either this
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&lang=en&cc=uk&os=228&dlc=en&product=500510&softwareitem=ob-31559-1

or this
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&lang=en&cc=uk&os=228&dlc=en&product=500510&softwareitem=ob-31564-1

or both?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Phyllis

Feb 16, 2006, 1:03:43 PM2/16/06
Thank you so much for the help. I will definitely try updating it. I am
not able to check e-mail or the newsgroup but once a day at the Library. I
am not at home right now. Thanks again, this thing has been driving me
crazy.

"Gerry Cornell" <gc...@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message

Phyllis

Feb 16, 2006, 1:27:43 PM2/16/06
Another question . . . after reinstalling XP SP1, can I install SP2
immediately, or do I need to go to Microsoft Updates and install all the
updates available there before I do the SP2. Also, do I need to go to HP
and update all my drivers that are listed when I do a system check there
before the SP2 installation. Thank you.

Jim

Feb 16, 2006, 2:45:20 PM2/16/06

> Another question . . . after reinstalling XP SP1, can I install SP2
> immediately, or do I need to go to Microsoft Updates and install all the
> updates available there before I do the SP2. Also, do I need to go to HP
> and update all my drivers that are listed when I do a system check there
> before the SP2 installation. Thank you.
No, you don't need to install any of the updates between SP1 and SP2. In
fact, if you are going to install SP2, there is no need to install SP1.
While it is unlikely that you will need new drivers for SP2. you should as
HP to make certain.
Jim

Phyllis

Feb 16, 2006, 5:06:39 PM2/16/06
Thanks, Jim. My XP CD that I have for reinstalling is SP1 and that is why I
asked the question.

"Jim" <jim-n...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Phyllis

Feb 17, 2006, 12:07:25 PM2/17/06
Well, the computer went belly up again last night. Before I could update
the driver it shut down with another stop code and then when I rebooted it
said Windows couldn't start up because of a corrupt system32/config/system
file. This is the same spot I was at 2 weeks ago when the computer first
crashed. But this time when I went to reinstall Windows XP from my CD that
came with the computer, it came up and said it couldn't format the drive
because of a disk error. Does this mean that the CD disk is bad or does
that mean that the hard drive is bad? Thanks for your help.