need to remove the XP Printer driver.

1 view

johnf

Apr 10, 2003, 4:22:07 AM4/10/03
rog...@paradise.net.nz wrote:
> I need to remove the Default XP Epson 740 Printer driver so that I
> can use the Better Win 2k one.
>
> But XP reinstalls its driver, so how can I stop this..
>
> Epson web site had the info for this but its now been removed.
>
> Thanks

It' still there -
http://tech.epson.com.au/downloads/product.asp?id=stylusC740&platform=w2k&su
bmit=Search+%3E%3E

Download sc740_50a.exe
Uninstall the printer.
Run the above with the printer power TURNED OFF.
When it gets to the stage of checking connection prompt, turn the printer
power on & it should then pick up the 2000 .dll from the download.
This way, XP doesn't auto-detect the printer and install what it thinks
best.

Also download the Ink Monitor P2OWE.exe and run the .exe in the (from
memory) SMTS folder - it's called something similar to that, you can't miss
it..
johnf
(when replying direct, please ensure my address ends with .au)

johnf

Apr 10, 2003, 9:55:10 AM4/10/03
Well, I don't know. I have a 760 and that's the way Epson (Melb.) advised me
on the phone & it worked fine.
Didn't use the CD, extracted the downloaded app. SC760.exe to a spare
folder, which gives you all you need, including a couple of sub-folders (one
being SMT3 for ink monitoring.)

Also I'm running USB and had no probs.

The most important thing is not to let XP take control of any part of the
install - that's why you need to start with the printer connected, but the
power off.

I've just discovered some notes I made, see if it makes any sense to you -

[****Do not use drivers from U.S. Epson site (V5.2 - 10058 & 10059 Status
Monitor 3 V1.0 dES****)
Download SC760.exe (23/10/01) from ***epson.com.au***
Don't forget to run Ink Status Monitor from SMT3 folder later.

Uninstall Stylus 760 (this MUST be the default software/Printer)

Uninstall Stylus 760/ESC/P 2 (MS software -automatically detected &
installed if Printer on)

Turn off Printer.

Run SC760, turn on Printer when asked during install.

** On switching Printer on again, XP will find & install 760/ESC/P2 - just
leave as is under Printers, but do not use.]

SMT3 can be installed after everything is up & running properly.