web sites

1 view

mcape

May 1, 2007, 7:24:01 PM5/1/07
I am having trouble getting to one web site that i want to go on. I've tried
using IE and Firefox, but evertime it says that it had problems loading the
page. I have found another site that lets me access the site through them.
Can anyone tell me how to fix this

Mark L. Ferguson

May 1, 2007, 9:55:00 PM5/1/07
Clear the IE cache. (IE, tools, Options, Delete Files button, include offline
content.)
--
Was this post helpful to you? Voting helps others who use the web interface.
Mark L. Ferguson

mcape

May 2, 2007, 1:32:00 PM5/2/07
i have done that i even did a system restore, and that didn't work so i did a
complete system recovery, and it still did not work.

Daave

May 2, 2007, 7:03:46 PM5/2/07

Maybe there's something wrong with the Web site. Why don't you post the
url?

And what is this other site, and what do you mean you can access the
other Web site through them.

mcape

May 4, 2007, 3:46:03 PM5/4/07
I don't think there's anything wrong with the web site. www.hexrpg.com. I can
get to it if i go through www.vtunnel.com

Daave

May 5, 2007, 12:05:29 AM5/5/07
mcape wrote:
> I don't think there's anything wrong with the web site.
> www.hexrpg.com. I can get to it if i go through www.vtunnel.com

Check your Hosts file just in case hexrpg.com made its way into it:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

If not, you may want to try flushing your DNS cache; open a command
prompt and enter:

ipconfig /flushdns

(there is a space before the slash)

If still no joy, repair and reset your Winsock settings:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm

mcape

May 5, 2007, 4:14:02 PM5/5/07
i tried what you said to do and still no luck.

Daave

May 6, 2007, 9:38:11 AM5/6/07

Maybe there's something wrong with your ISP's DNS?

Who is your ISP? How do you connect to the Internet?

What is the *exact* error message you get?

Is your PC on a network?

Have you tried pinging the Web site?

Macc2101

May 6, 2007, 9:59:01 AM5/6/07
I am having a similar problem. There is a state government website I have
always gone to for referrals. For some reason now, I get an error and cannot
open it up. I have confirmed the exact address and am now wondering if my
McAfee software locked it out because at one time, I saw that there was an
unauthorized entry into my computer from a site in the same division of
govt??? Any ideas would be terrific, I need to access this site on a more
regular basis now. Thank you
--
Macc

mcape

May 7, 2007, 1:44:04 PM5/7/07

i use bright house's road runner lite. and no i'm not on a network. and i
don't know what pinging a web site is. this is the error message i get
The connection has timed out
The server at www.hexrpg.com is taking too long to respond
* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in
a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy,
make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Daave

May 7, 2007, 3:50:28 PM5/7/07
mcape wrote:
> i use bright house's road runner lite. and no i'm not on a network.
> and i don't know what pinging a web site is. this is the error
> message i get
> The connection has timed out
> The server at www.hexrpg.com is taking too long to respond
> * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try
> again in a few
> moments.
>
> * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's
> network connection.
>
> * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or
> proxy, make sure
> that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Basically, pinging means to verify that a particular IP address exits
and is accepting requests. Open a command line and enter:

ping hexrpg.com

You will see the IP address is 67.15.230.41.

Oddly, entering that IP address in my browser does not yield the normal
home page, but rather the cryptic text "Hi, mito, just for fun!" I don't
why this is; perhaps someone else can shed light.

Do you use any proxies? What do you use for a firewall? What kind of
anti-spyware software do you run? Do you have any browser helper objects
such as toolbars installed? What happens when you enter the IP address
in your browser? What happens when you run Firefox in Safe Mode?

I think you should try accessing this Web site through the Off By One
browser to see what happens:

http://offbyone.com/offbyone/

mcape

May 8, 2007, 9:09:00 PM5/8/07
i called my isp and went through a bunch of things with them, and they said
it had something to do with Mcafee as i use them for my firewall etc. so i
completely deleted them out of my computer and i'm still having this problem.
any other suggestions?

mcape

May 9, 2007, 6:54:01 AM5/9/07
by the way when i ping the site it says request timed out 4 times

Daave

May 9, 2007, 9:27:07 AM5/9/07
"mcape" <mc...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>i called my isp and went through a bunch of things with them, and they
>said
> it had something to do with Mcafee as i use them for my firewall etc.
> so i
> completely deleted them out of my computer and i'm still having this
> problem.
> any other suggestions?

Did you try OB1 yet?

How did you uninstall McAfee? What are you currently using for firewall
and anti-virus?

In IE, what are your settings under:

Tools | Internet Options | Connections | LAN Settings (I believe you use
DSL?)

Are there other Web sites you can't access, or is just the one?

mcape

May 9, 2007, 1:31:01 PM5/9/07
i just went to the add/remove programs and deleted it, then restarted my
computer and still no luck, so i redownloaded McAfee. now i can't access the
site through vtunnel or OB1.

Daave

May 9, 2007, 3:09:00 PM5/9/07

Again,

mcape

May 9, 2007, 7:27:02 PM5/9/07
i have DSL and under my settings nothing is checked, and this is the only
site that i can not access.

Daave

May 9, 2007, 8:40:47 PM5/9/07
mcape wrote:
> i have DSL and under my settings nothing is checked, and this is the
> only site that i can not access.

You say you cleared the cache, including off-line content. There's
always Ccleaner, just to make sure...

Other than that, I'm afraid I have no more suggestions. :-(

Good luck, anyhow!

mcape

May 10, 2007, 4:26:02 PM5/10/07
i cleared the cache including off-line content, and still no luck. Thanks for
all your help. I'll just keep playing around with my computer maybe I'll get
it sooner or later. Thanks again for all your help.

Daave

May 10, 2007, 5:52:06 PM5/10/07
mcape wrote:
> i cleared the cache including off-line content, and still no luck.
> Thanks for all your help. I'll just keep playing around with my
> computer maybe I'll get it sooner or later. Thanks again for all your
> help.

One last idea...

I can't remember if we ruled out DNS or not. Go to Control Panel and
open up Network (I think that's how it's done; I'm on my 98 box now).
Highlight TCP/IP for your Ethernet adapter, and click on Properties.
Click on the DNS Configuration tab. What are the settings? You may need
to contact your ISP for the proper values.

mcape

May 10, 2007, 6:29:01 PM5/10/07
i don't know what DNS is, but i don't have a network link under control panel.

Daave

May 10, 2007, 10:27:50 PM5/10/07

I believe one way is to right-click the My Network Places icon on your
desktop. Or you can go to:

Control Pamel | Network and Internet Connections | Network Connections

More detailed instructions can be found at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305553
"How to configure TCP/IP to use DNS in Windows XP"

You may also want to check out this page for troubleshooting:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314067
"How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP"