Cannot access desktop Tab in Display Properties

candulj

Dec 28, 2005, 12:10:06 PM12/28/05
hello,
I have a xp home edition pc. I just removed a spyware program that had
prevously hijacked my desktop. The machine works perfect except for the fact
that all of my options in the" Display Properties>Desktop Tab are grayed
out". I can access and change all other tabs within the Display Properties
except for this one. I have this big white square in the middle of my desktop
as the default pitcure.When I changed the resolution the default blue color
surrounds this huge white square. I have full admin rights. What do I need
to do to fix these settings for my default desktop. TIA.
--
candulj

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Dec 29, 2005, 1:16:21 AM12/29/05
Open Regedit.exe and navigate to these locations one by one:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Syste衫
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop

In the right-pane, delete the following values if they exist:

1. Wallpaper
2. WallpaperStyle

Close Regedit.exe and re-login.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

"candulj" <can...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

candulj

Dec 29, 2005, 7:50:02 AM12/29/05
Hi Ramesh,
I was able to only find the first reg key entry you suggested and deleted
the subkey. I am now able to access the desktop tab, however I have another
challenge, no matter what pitchure file I choose for the background,the
desktop displays a huge white square which covers only two thirds of desktops
screen, the rest of the desktop is the pitchure file I had choosen in the
desktop tab's >background selection. I tried changing resolutions without any
positvie results, as well as changing the position from Stretch to tile to
center without any positive impact. Any suggestions appreiciated. TIA.
Joe
--
candulj

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Open Regedit.exe and navigate to these locations one by one:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Syste­m

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Dec 29, 2005, 8:07:19 AM12/29/05
Right-click the Desktop, and choose Properties
Select the Desktop tab, and click Customize Desktop button
Select the Web tab.
Uncheck all the items listed.
Click OK, OK

--

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Open Regedit.exe and navigate to these locations one by one:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control
> Panel\Desktop

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Syste衫

candulj

Dec 29, 2005, 8:15:02 AM12/29/05
It worked!!! Thank you sooooo much. You're the man!! Humbly appreiciate it. ;-)
Joe
--
candulj

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Syste­m

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Dec 29, 2005, 8:22:19 AM12/29/05
You're very much welcome, Joe.