System shuts down while loading.

dcinfinite

Apr 16, 2005, 8:05:02 PM4/16/05

Can someone please kindaly help me. I'm using Windows XP Pro and i have
encountered a major problem. When i start up my computer, it loads the
windows but half way the whole system shuts down and a blue screen comes out
saying
" STOP : C000021a {Fatal System Eroro} The Windows Logon Process System
process terminated unexpectedly with a status of
0xc0000018(0x00000000x00000000) The system has been shut down.

can someone please kindaly help me as i have very important documents that i
need to use urgently. I have tried to use "Norton Go Back" which i have
installed to my computer, i reverted back to a few days back and it worked..i
am back to Windows, but all this will happen again if i leave my computer on
or i restart it. i really appreciate to have some feedback. thank you.

Road_Runner

Apr 16, 2005, 8:18:30 PM4/16/05
You might want to try a repair installment of windows and , If that doesn't
work , Then reformat

"dcinfinite" <dcinf...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

dcinfinite

Apr 17, 2005, 4:40:02 AM4/17/05
i tried to use the recovery and repair function from the windows CD but i am
not sure how to go about it. can someone kindly assist me? wut is the windows
log that they ask me? what should i put in? is there any other better way to
solve this problem? i am able to use the "Norton Go Back" to get into
windows.. can someone pls help. thanks.

Road_Runner

Apr 17, 2005, 9:03:25 AM4/17/05
Hey ... Have a view at this website and see if it help

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php

Also view this one too , it show "how to" with windows

http://michaelstevenstech.com/

Lastly whenever posting an post , Always mention your computer specs and,
Anything you have done to your computer before the problem start to arise ,
The more info you provide , The better others can assist ... Hope it helps

"dcinfinite" <dcinf...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

richtoy

Apr 17, 2005, 10:28:07 AM4/17/05

It would seem that quite a few people are getting the same error after
installing the last set of Microsoft critical updates. Some of the
people have not explained the symptoms too well so I will try to
explain the problem accurately: -

1) The problem occurs after updating an XP (pro or home?) machine with
the latest set of critical updates.

2) In my case the machine was fully patched before the update and
spyware/virus free (MS Antispyware + Ad-Aware + McAfee).

3) When the machine reboots after a "Successful" update, the boot
progresses to the "Loading Windows XP" screen with the progress bar.
The bar gets to 100% the screen blanks and then there is a BSOD with
the message: -

"STOP : C000021a {Fatal System Eroro} The Windows Logon Process System
process terminated unexpectedly with a status of

0xc0000018(0x00000000x00000000­) The system has been shut down"

4) Using F8 and:-

a) Trying to boot into safe mode gives the same error.

b) Trying to boot to last known configuration gives the same error.

I have read one thread from somebody who did a full clean install and
when he went to MS update and got the same bunch of patches the machine
did exactly the same which sort of implies that it is not due to
software already installed.

My son's machine is an IBM 390X laptop with 256Mb memory.

The install went smoothly on my daugthers IBM 390E laptop, both of our
Dell desktops and my Dell portable so I presume that it is hardware
related although I have no clue what.

If anyone can add any more info then please do.

The stuff in the MS KB all seem to relate to subtlely different
problems that can be cured by booting into safe mode or choosing last
know good configuration but as I said above, THAT DOES NOT WORK.

Any ideas Microsoft ????

Raymond J. Johnson Jr.

Apr 17, 2005, 11:10:02 AM4/17/05

If you want to talk to Microsoft you came to the wrong place. This is a
public, peer-support newsgroup, not a Microsoft technical support site.
Your case illustrates why it's not a good idea to download and install
updates en masse. Do them one at a time, and make sure there's no
problem before doing the next one. Since you suspect that it's a
hardware issue (something MS has no control over) have you checked with IBM?

Adam

Apr 17, 2005, 11:44:02 AM4/17/05
Richtoy,

I have had the exact same problem with the exact same hex error codes you
have. I have experienced it on both my home computer and one of our laptops
at work. I have spent hours trying to track down the cause of this, but to
no avail. It is definately related to the last set of windows xp updates. I
am thinking it was the service pack 2 cumulative updates (I don't mean sp2
itself, but the updates for it).
My computer was also spyware and virus free before the suposedly
"successful" application of the updates. Happy hunting to us both!

dcinfinite

Apr 17, 2005, 1:53:01 PM4/17/05

hi people..

i have confirmed the problem that has caused my computer to shut down..it
was definitely the security update patch..downloaded to update your windows.
i had confirmed this because, i used "Norton Go Back" to Revert back to a day
before my computer faced this problem, and there were no problem..until i
install the security updates, after installing the updates, the problem
occured again..so i suspected the update was giving me the problem,
therefore, i reverted it back again and this time i ignored installing the
updates..and it worked. my computer does not shut down anymore.

PLEASE ANYONE WHO HAS THE SAME PROBLEM, TRY TO REVERT YOUR COMPUTER BACK AND
DO NOT INSTALL THE SECURITY UPDATES.

i would like to share to others whom are facing the problem that i have
faced which has cost me much lost. thank you everyone.

lei...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2005, 10:32:57 PM4/17/05
SOLUTION: Restore the files replaced by the 12 April 2005 update to the
system32 directory:

shell32.dll
authz.dll
ntkrnlmp.exe
ntoskrnl.exe
user32.dll
win32k.sys
winsrv.dll

Use the Windows Recovery Console (on your XP cd) if you have no other
access to the drive. This will allow you to copy the original files
from the CD to the system32 directory.

-LCB

dcinfinite

Apr 17, 2005, 11:36:03 PM4/17/05
hi i need some help,

i reverted back my computer, but the updates are alreayd ready to be update,
but my siblings did not know anything about this and they updated it again.
is there anyway i can remove the "ready to install" feature that is always
appearing on the bottom right of ya taskbar? besides that, howw do i restore
the files mentioned by "lei...@gmail.com" ? i have the windows cd..how do i
go about?can someone teach me? by the way, does microsoft know that many
people are facing this problem?

IrwinRL

Apr 18, 2005, 6:15:03 AM4/18/05
I have had this problem on 4 machines so far. They have all been Dell GX60,
XP Pro SP2, up-to-date symantec anti-virus.

I have been able to recover the machines simply by running the repair
utility and letting it replace whatever has gone wrong, though I still dont
know what patch has caused the problem.

Although I'm unsure of what IS causing the problem, I can perhaps shed some
light on what isn't. There was one machine (same spec.) which had run
windows update on friday without any issues. Heres the list of what it
installed:
MS Windows Installer 3.1
KB890859 (MS05-018)
KB893086 (MS05-016)
KB890923 (MS05-020)
KB890830
KB893066 (MS05-019)

I ran the update this morning hoping to find the rest of the April updates
waiting to be installed however I only got .Net 1.1 SP1. I'll perhaps
install the remaining April updates individually to find the culprit.

tham

Apr 18, 2005, 9:23:02 AM4/18/05
Please follow the procedure suggested by microsoft to solve BSOD problem from
the latest windows update. My DELL notebook was crashed suddenly after
updating the new patches. Today morning I tried with this method. It takes
only few minutes - much easier and faster than re-installation.
1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk in your floppy disk drive or insert
the Windows XP CD in the CD drive or in the DVD drive, and then restart your
computer.

Note When you receive the following message, press a key to start your
computer from the Windows XP CD:
Press any key to boot from CD

Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD drive or the DVD
drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start
from the CD drive or the DVD drive, see the documentation that came with your
computer or contact the computer manufacturer.
2. When you receive the Welcome to Setup message, press R to start the
Recovery Console.

Note Multiple options will appear on the screen.
3. Select the Windows XP installation in question.

Note You must select a number before you press ENTER, or the computer will
restart. Typically, only the 1: C:\Windows selection is available.
4. If you are prompted to type an administrator password, do so. If you do
not know the administrator password, press ENTER. (Typically, the password is
blank.)

Note You will not be able to continue if you do not have the administrator
password.
5. At the command prompt, type cd $ntuninstallKB.........HERE THE NUMBER OF
THE PATCH.....$\spuninst, and then press ENTER.

Note After you complete this step, you cannot stop the removal process.
6. At the command prompt, type batch spuninst.txt, and then press ENTER.

7. After the Ptach is removed, type exit, and then press ENTER oo Uninstall
the Next

The newest Critical Patches was the
This two can be the reason for the Error, please uninstall
KB893066
KB890923

KB890859
KB893086
Tham.

dcinfinite

Apr 19, 2005, 9:08:01 PM4/19/05
tham,

i tried using your way, but i encountered a problem.

1) Note You must select a number before you press ENTER, or the computer will

restart. Typically, only the 1: C:\Windows selection is available

does it mean i enter 1?i did enter 1 after that i was asked 4 a password.

> 4. If you are prompted to type an administrator password, do so. If you do
> not know the administrator password, press ENTER. (Typically, the password is
> blank.)

> i clicked entered. and i was in the command prompt. but im curious how come i am in F:\WINDOWS> and not C drive?

> 5. At the command prompt, type cd $ntuninstallKB.........HERE THE NUMBER OF
> THE PATCH.....$\spuninst, and then press ENTER.

im not sure how exactly should i do this step? cd $ntuninstallKB KB890859
$\spuninst and then press enter?i tried..but it says the parameter is not
valid.

can you give me abit more detail?as im not very fluent with computer
languanges. thanks.hope to hear a reply as soon as possible.

oth313

Apr 24, 2005, 8:23:37 AM4/24/05

hey every1........i think this will help u :D
*STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a
status of 0xc0000018
(0x00000000 0x00000000)

The system has been shut down

The newest Critical Patches can be the reason for the error, please
uninstall KB893066, KB890923, KB890859 and KB893086

Please follow the procedure suggested by microsoft to solve BSOD
problem from the latest windows update.

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk in your floppy disk drive or

please uninstall
KB893066
KB890923

KB890859
KB893086

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316503&sd=RMVP *

--
oth313
oth313's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=706

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Apr 25, 2005, 2:32:29 AM4/25/05
Most likely caused after installing the KB890859 update. Many users were
successful after following this procedure:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/spuninst.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

MichelleS

Jun 27, 2005, 3:37:02 AM6/27/05
This is all useful since I am having the samwe problem. The question is
though, how do you fix it? especially since I can't even log on or get to the
C: prompt?

Rock

Jun 27, 2005, 2:37:15 PM6/27/05
MichelleS wrote:

> This is all useful since I am having the samwe problem. The question is
> though, how do you fix it? especially since I can't even log on or get to the
> C: prompt?

Post a new message. Don't hijack another thread. Give a complete and
concise description of the problem, the system and all troubleshooting
you have done.

Making Good Newsgroup Posts
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Nic

Jun 29, 2005, 6:38:07 PM6/29/05
Rock, why don't you just help the girl, give some valuable advice
instead of whining about a correct procedure...the problem is already
described accurately by many people (see ABOVE messages)
I have the same problem and it is frustrating as it is, especially
working under time pressure to get it fixed.

I refer to the problem described in detail by the many other people
about the Fatal System error-blue screen. Unfortunately, I do not have
Norton installed, nor do I have a Dell that has this option of getting
the system to boot trhough a different way.
I can only press F8 and none of the options get me to either a command
prompt or into Windows.
For some reason, my computer is also not reading my cdrom drive
anymore, thus, a XP cd, boot cd or anything can not help it getting
started. HELP!

I also do not have a floppy drive. Any ideas on reinstalling windows
with these limitations?....it has been driving me crazy for the past
months and am almost ready to go out and by a new harddrive..but that
isn't the problem.

Thank you all, for your feedback and just the thought of willing to
help and advise...

Nic

Rock

Jun 30, 2005, 2:03:42 AM6/30/05
Nic wrote:

> Rock, why don't you just help the girl, give some valuable advice
> instead of whining about a correct procedure...the problem is already
> described accurately by many people (see ABOVE messages)
> I have the same problem and it is frustrating as it is, especially
> working under time pressure to get it fixed.

<snip>

Nic I feel your frustration, but my advice to you is the same. Post a
new message with the specifics of your system, when the problem
occurred, what changes were made to the system between when the system
was running well and when the issue came up, and any troubelshooting
steps you've taken. Nic, in my experience there can be significant
differences in setup between systems. When someone says they have the
exact same problem that may mean they have some of the same symptoms,
but doesn't necessarily mean things are exactly the same. And there can
still be differences in what's causing the problem because the systems
are different.

n00b

Aug 30, 2005, 3:35:01 AM8/30/05
Howdy:

Found the following.. suggest you give it a try..

n00b

Aug 30, 2005, 3:44:03 AM8/30/05

n00b

Aug 30, 2005, 3:47:02 AM8/30/05