Removal of parallel Windows XP installations.

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers

May 26, 2003, 9:18:12 PM5/26/03

Just boot the working installation, "nuke" the system folders pertaining to the first. If you are getting a multiple choice at system startup, you will need to edit boot.ini on the root of the boot partition to remove the reference to it.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

"Poster" <pos...@mutemail.com> wrote in message news:07o4dvgc9jgp77n2a...@4ax.com...
> It was necessary for me initiate a parallel "clean install"
> of Windows XP Pro in order to preserve data and no longer
> deal with an *existing* XP Pro that came with my CPU
>
> Bottom line: new XP Pro system works great; data recovered
> and backed up; all original files are intact and "in the middle."
>
> HOW DO I COMPLETELY UNINSTALL THE FIRST ORIGINAL
> XP SYSTEM without affecting the new one. Would there be any
> system files in common? If not, I have the two systems in two
> separate directories; should I just nuke the first? Thanks
>
> Respond by e-mail, please, if possible!

JAB

May 27, 2003, 5:24:03 AM5/27/03
In the Boot.ini, remove the reference to Windows.0, making sure to check
that it is the system you want to delete. This is normally the second entry
when you boot the system and it asks you to choose between differing
installations.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <ri...@mvps.org> wrote in message