Default mail client not properly installed

inez @mindspring

Sep 4, 2004, 1:49:36 PM9/4/04
I just tried to send an email to a person and a Microsoft Internet Explorer
box came up: "Could not perform this operation because the default mail
client is not properly installed." What does that mean?

Then when I tried to close this area, a notice in the task bar area popped
up with 69 Internet Explorers, each saying: " Action Cancelled." How did
that happen and why?

Ramesh [MVP]

Sep 4, 2004, 10:32:04 PM9/4/04
Open Registry Editor and navigate to:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto]

Right-click and choose Export to a REG file. Paste the contents here.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Window XP Shell/User

"inez @mindspring" <co-s...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

pipher

Sep 22, 2004, 3:13:06 PM9/22/04
How do I paste it here? BUt it really doesn't matter. I get the same thing
and I there are no subfolders to the mailto folder and it says in the right
box that the default (whatever it is called) has no value set.

I suppose I could create shell/open/command files, but I don't want to just
do that unless I know it is the right thing to do. Thanks, Jessica

pipher

Sep 23, 2004, 9:31:05 AM9/23/04
I did end up creating the shell/open/command files in the registry and that
finally worked. Thanks everyone for all the information you put on tihs
website.

Ramesh [MVP]

Sep 23, 2004, 9:51:58 AM9/23/04
Glad you got this fixed:

Multiple browser windows open when you click on a mailto: link:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/MailtoProtocol.htm

Outlook Express missing from the Internet Options mail clients list:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/oemissing.htm

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

"pipher" <pip...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

pipher

Sep 23, 2004, 10:03:11 AM9/23/04
I did add the URL Protocol but that hadn't helped. Did I need the
shell/open/command for that to work?

ANother question: I had checked in teh File Types section and after visiting
the number of recommended sites , saw something about checking the
URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocol and making sureteh URL: Hypertext transfer
Protocol with Priavcy were teh same. They weren;t so I changed the URL: HTP
with Privacy and now it has disappeared from my file types and I have a "new"
one called URL:Secure Hypertext Transfer Protocol. Are these the same?

Ramesh [MVP]

Sep 23, 2004, 11:20:17 AM9/23/04
HKCR\https

Though I don;t have the entry you said (the new entry), both sounds same to
me. To confirm this:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https
(default) in the right-pane tells the description

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

"pipher" <pip...@usa.com(nospam)> wrote in message

pipher

Sep 23, 2004, 12:07:03 PM9/23/04
What should teh description be?

Ramesh [MVP]

Sep 24, 2004, 1:12:43 AM9/24/04
URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy