160Gb disk listed as a 128gb in Windows XP Pro

Marius Sparby

Feb 12, 2002, 5:04:00 AM2/12/02
I Have a disk of 160gb capacity in my computer, but Windows XP reports it as
a 128gb disk (even though the BIOS list it correctly at 160Gb). Anyone seen
anything like this?

Joe Earnest

Feb 12, 2002, 2:29:29 PM2/12/02
Marius,

There is a fairly recent thread in one of the WinXP NGs where some user with
one of those massive drives posted a now-deleted MS KB article stating that
a registry hack was necessary to use the drive to full capacity, at least
until WinXP SP1 is released. Apparently they were using the drive at
capacity after following the article's suggestions. Below is the
abbreviated version of the article that I kept for reference. You might
search the NGs with Google to find the original posts.

Regards,
Joe Earnest
(just another user)

deleted MSKB article
How to Enable 48-bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives [Q303013]
(10-18-2001)
SUMMARY
This article describes the Windows XP 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA)
support for ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) disk drives that can enable the
capacity of your hard disk to exceed the current 137 gigabyte (GB) limit.
NOTE: You must have Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) for the client installed
before you enable 48-bit LBA support in Windows XP Home Edition or Windows
XP Professional. If you do not have SP1 installed, potential data loss may
occur if you enable 48-bit LBA support.
MORE INFORMATION
Windows XP includes 48-bit LBA support for ATAPI disk drives that can enable
the capacity of your hard disk to exceed the current 137 GB limit. This type
of
support is new technology and Microsoft has only tested a limited number of
these disk drives.
By default, Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional do not have
48-bit LBA support enabled.
You must meet the following requirements to use 48-bit LBA ATAPI support:
- You must have a 48-bit LBA compatible BIOS.
- You must have a hard disk that has a capacity that is greater than 137 GB.
- You must have Windows XP installed.
- For Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional, you must enable
the
support in the registry by adding or changing the registry value,
EnableBigLba, to 1 (DWORD) in the following registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters\
NOTE: If you attempt to enable the 48-bit LBA ATAPI support by editing the
preceding registry setting and you did not meet the minimum requirements,
you may observe the following behavior:
- The registry value, EnableBigLba, is disabled:
If you have a 48-bit compatible BIOS that can support a hard disk that has a
capacity that is greater than 137 GB, only the first 137 GB of the hard disk
are addressable. The remainder of the hard disk is not used.
- The registry value, EnableBigLba, is enabled, but you do not have a 48-bit
LBA compatible BIOS and the capacity of the hard disk does not exceed 137
GB:
If you enable the 48-bit LBA ATAPI support by editing the registry setting,
but you lack both a 48-bit LBA compatible BIOS and a hard disk that has a
capacity that is greater than 137 GB, you have not changed the system. The
hard disk continues to function as a standard hard disk.
- The registry value, EnableBigLba, is enabled without a 48-bit LBA
compatible
BIOS, but you have a hard disk with a capacity that is larger than 137 GB:
If you enable 48-bit ATAPI support in the registry and you have a hard disk
that has a capacity that is greater than 137 GB, but you do not have a
48-bit
LBA compatible BIOS, only the first 137 GB of the hard disk are addressable.
The remainder of the hard disk is not used.

"Marius Sparby" <marius...@aftenposten.no> wrote in message

don lebow

Feb 13, 2002, 6:48:56 PM2/13/02
Marius Sparby writes:

Another option is a third party controller. Promise and Maxtor both have
ATA-133 compatible ones that should allow you to see the full capacity of a
drive this large.

--
don (MVP)
http://www.shaka.com/~mdon

Please follow up to the group ... thanks!

Gnosys

Feb 19, 2002, 9:59:20 PM2/19/02
I believe that if the BIOS is listing it correctly, he would not need a
third party controller since his is past the 132Gb limit of older BIOS.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
"don lebow" <md...@aloha.net> wrote in message

Len Mattix

Feb 20, 2002, 7:32:32 PM2/20/02
Hunt around the news groups and the MS knowledge base. There is a reg
setting you need to change for XP to see that large of a drive. Found the
necessary portion! Do this at your own risk and as always back up the
registry before changes!

See following KB article. (I posted it here because MS's online KB seem to
have some problems finding this article.)
It does work for me. All 160 GB are recognized (or to be exact 160 billion
bytes, that is 152 GB)

How to Enable 48-bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives [Q303013]

PSS ID Number: Q303013

Article last modified on 10-18-2001

:

---

- Microsoft Windows XP Professional

- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

---

IMPORTANT: This article contains information about editing the registry.

Before you edit the registry, make sure you understand how to restore it if

a problem occurs. For information about how to do this, view the "Restoring

the Registry" Help topic in Regedit.exe or the "Restoring a Registry Key"
Help

topic in Regedt32.exe.

SUMMARY

=======

This article describes the Windows XP 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA)

support for ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) disk drives that can enable the

capacity of your hard disk to exceed the current 137 gigabyte (GB) limit.

NOTE: You must have Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) for the client installed

before you enable 48-bit LBA support in Windows XP Home Edition or Windows
XP

Professional. If you do not have SP1 installed, potential data loss may
occur if

you enable 48-bit LBA support.

MORE INFORMATION

================

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that
may

require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee
that

problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved.
Use

Registry Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys and

Values" Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the "Add and Delete

Information in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics in

Regedt32.exe. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it.
If

you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should also update your

Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).

Windows XP includes 48-bit LBA support for ATAPI disk drives that can enable
the

capacity of your hard disk to exceed the current 137 GB limit. This type of

support is new technology and Microsoft has only tested a limited number of

these disk drives.

By default, Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional do not have

48-bit LBA support enabled.

You must meet the following requirements to use 48-bit LBA ATAPI support:

- You must have a 48-bit LBA compatible BIOS.

- You must have a hard disk that has a capacity that is greater than 137 GB.

- You must have Windows XP installed.

- For Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional, you must enable
the

support in the registry by adding or changing the registry value,

EnableBigLba, to 1 in the following registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters\

To enable 48-bit LBA large-disk support in the registry:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2. Locate and click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters\

3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry
value:

Value name: EnableBigLba

Data type: REG_DWORD

Value data: 0x1

4. Quit Registry Editor.

[...]

snip
Good luck, Len

"Peter" <pieterh...@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi there,
>
> I bought a 160 GB Maxtor hard drive, but Windows XP is only recognize 137
> GB. Does someone have a answer for this problem?
>
> hendrik...@hotmail.com

"Gnosys" <gnos...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

D@annyBoy

Feb 20, 2002, 8:45:04 PM2/20/02
where can I get Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) ?

--

Danny

Joe Earnest

Feb 20, 2002, 9:31:29 PM2/20/02
XP SP1 is not due to be released until the third quarter. The gist of the
article is that the registry hack should probably work, but MS is not
guaranteeing anything, and if you don't use it, you can still get 128G out
of the drive. The fact that MS apparently pulled the article from the KB
might give you some concern, but it just may be that they're rethinking a
different implementation for SP1.

Regards,
Joe Earnest
(another user)

"D@annyBoy" <l@ndof$mile$@m$n.com> wrote in message

Kyle

Apr 12, 2002, 3:59:33 PM4/12/02
Windows Can not see a hard drive bigger than 128 gb

-- Kyle

Danny Blue

Apr 12, 2002, 4:36:57 PM4/12/02
What format?

"Kyle" <kylet...@msn.com> wrote in message

---

Jason Tsang

Apr 12, 2002, 5:55:57 PM4/12/02
Well, not exactly

Windows XP through the hard drive controller drivers that it has won't.
However, with the appropriate 3rd party drivers (and of course, hardware support), it can.

Windows XP itself can access hard drives larger. That is not in question. The issue is whether the hard drive controller and its driver can access 48 bit LBA.

--
Jason Tsang - Windows XP MVP - DTS & Associate Expert

Find out about the MS MVP Program -
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/

Find out about the Windows XP Expert Zone -
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

Hiran J - The Sri Lankan

Apr 13, 2002, 1:57:37 AM4/13/02
NTFS FAT FAT32
Recommended minimum volume size is approximately 10 megabytes (MB).
Volumes much larger than 2 terabytes (TB) are possible.

Cannot be used on floppy disks.
Volumes from floppy disk size up to 4 gigabytes (GB).
Does not support domains.
Volumes from 512 MB to 2 TB.
In Windows XP, you can format a FAT32 volume up to 32 GB only.

Does not support domains.

File size limited only by size of volume. Maximum file size is 2 GB.
Maximum file size is 4 GB.

Sometimes, you may need to download the latest mother board drivers or you
file system doesn't support such bigger volumes.Ref. above table.

Hiran Jayasundara

® Micosoft Beta Tester