Problems with Windows XP installation on Acer Aspire 5730Z

Shoebox

Sep 5, 2008, 3:44:16 PM9/5/08

Hi all,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this or if I shouldn't be
asking such a question here, but I'm really desperate.

I bought a new Acer notebook two days ago, Acer Aspire 5730Z. The OS
that came with it was Linux Linpus, that I have absolutely no use of,
since it's just a console that I don't know any commands for. So I tried
to install Windows XP SP2, but when Windows Setup had finished loading
all files and it said that it's starting Windows, I got the infamous
blue error screen of death, with the error code 0x0000007B. Since then
I've done a lot of Googling, and I came up with good solutions, like
using NLite and creating a Windows installation CD with the missing
drivers. From what I understand, the problem is most likely not in
Linpus itself, but the fact that it's a SATA disk, so I added the
missing drivers, burned the ISO to a CD, and when I booted from it,
Windows Setup started loading files, then it asked for additional
drivers that I could specify by pressing S, but when I did, it said that
it found no drivers... so I had the chance to exit the setup or cancel
the driver installation, when I did the latter, once again I ended up at
the error screen.

My guess is that the drivers are out-of-date or something, but the
problem is that the Acer website doesn't even offer drivers for my
model, and for other, more or less similar models, it only offers
Windows Vista drivers.

My goal is pretty much just to make new partitions, install Windows XP
and get rid of the Linpus, and if anyone has any suggestions how I could
do that I would be very grateful, right now I'm just frustrated and
confused.

--
Shoebox
Shoebox's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/shoebox.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Paul

Sep 5, 2008, 5:13:14 PM9/5/08

Check in the BIOS. Are there any options for the Southbridge
disk interface operating mode ? Intel chipsets might offer
IDE, AHCI, or RAID. If you use IDE, then the default Microsoft
driver will work, and no other drivers will be needed. (Note -
IDE means an IDE emulation using a SATA disk, since the
Southbridge likely doesn't have a real IDE ribbon cable
interface.)

You need to first determine what chipset is used in your laptop.
I tried the Acer site, and there is no entry there for 5730Z.
It is possible there is an Intel chipset in there, but because
I can find no other information about the laptop, it is pretty
hard to verify that from here.

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/downloads.html

In Linux, these are commands that mention hardware.

lspci
lsusb
dmesg

The text messages delivered by those utilities, will tell you
something about the machine.

Since you've now wiped Linpus, there is no chance to run those.

Paul

adilas

Nov 20, 2008, 3:58:07 AM11/20/08

I had the same problem and i used this solution
I entered bios and disabled all bootoptions except the normal boot
than i set the sata mode to ide.
After this the windows installs corectly with no errors

--
adilas
adilas's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/adilas.htm