paging file system

prm

Oct 28, 2004, 2:36:25 AM10/28/04
Greetings,
I'm confused about the paging file system. I've got a new machine with a gig
of ram on it. I been playing around with the paging file system and when I
change the settings from "no paging file" to "system managed size" I don't
notice much difference in preformance. What's the best setting for optiuim
performance.
Thanks
Pete

Andrew E.

Oct 28, 2004, 3:43:02 AM10/28/04
All pcs require a page file,even with 10 gbs if it was available.To learn
more
of the page file,read #314482 or #307886 If 512mb or more of ram is
present,you can adjust the system to use more ram than the page file for
performance,run,type:regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,current control set,
control,session mgr,open memory mgmt.L.click on disablepagingexecutive,
go to edit,modify,set to 1 from 0 Then close-out.Simple chks in task mgr
before and after will show the diffrences.Restart computer after regedit.

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers

Oct 28, 2004, 6:15:42 AM10/28/04

With that much ram, you probably will not be using that page file (unless
perhaps you are doing video editing or autocad). However, you should not
disable it because some programs will expect it to be there. The default for
the system is to set an initial size of 1.5 times the ram size. This is to
hold a full memory dump on system failure. This might be useful in
diagnosing the error if it is consistent. Otherwise, this behavior is often
not needed on a home-user system. You can adjust this in startup and
recovery settings. Quite often, I find that a minidump is sufficient.

If you disable the dump settings, you can safely reduce the initial pagefile
size to 100MB. If it is needed, it will dynamically resize itself "on the
fly". You can read up on more about the pagefile and WinXP Virtual Memory
here, in an article written by MVP Alex Nichol:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"prm" <vze3...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Tim Slattery

Oct 28, 2004, 9:14:50 AM10/28/04
"prm" <vze3...@verizon.net> wrote:

>Greetings,
>I'm confused about the paging file system. I've got a new machine with a gig
>of ram on it. I been playing around with the paging file system and when I
>change the settings from "no paging file" to "system managed size" I don't
>notice much difference in preformance.

And with 1 gigabyte of RAM you won't. With that much RAM the OS won't
use the swap file very much. So leave it at "system managed size" and
stop worrying about it.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Alex Nichol

Oct 28, 2004, 11:53:47 AM10/28/04
prm wrote:

Read up at my page www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

Bournemouth, U.K. Al...@mvps.D8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)

Alex Nichol

Oct 28, 2004, 11:55:45 AM10/28/04
Andrew E. wrote:

> of the page file,read #314482 or #307886 If 512mb or more of ram is
> present,you can adjust the system to use more ram than the page file for
> performance,run,type:regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,current control set,
> control,session mgr,open memory mgmt.L.click on disablepagingexecutive,
> go to edit,modify,set to 1 from 0 Then close-out.Simple chks in task mgr
> before and after will show the diffrences.Restart computer after regedit.

Do NOT disable the page file executive except for trouble shooting. You
will simply lose the use of a substantial part of RAM to no purpose at
all
That setting will only be on 1 if someone has mistakenly set it
deliberately

Alex Nichol

Oct 29, 2004, 5:51:53 AM10/29/04
Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:

>With that much ram, you probably will not be using that page file (unless
>perhaps you are doing video editing or autocad). However, you should not
>disable it because some programs will expect it to be there. The default for
>the system is to set an initial size of 1.5 times the ram size. This is to
>hold a full memory dump on system failure.

A point that must not be omitted in XP page file discussion is that a
lot of programs ask for very large amounts of Virtual memory space to be
allocated - and never make use of these pages. But the system has to
assign them *somewhere*. If you turn page file off they have to be
assigned to physical RAM, thus locking out a large chunk to no purpose
at all (and this may amount to several hundred MB). In XP, if you have
*potential* file space - the excess of Max over initial - that can be
sued for this purpose. The file space concerned will not actually come
into existence, and there will be no traffic on the file. This is why a
lowish initial, large max is a good setup on a large RAM.

The other case is Fast User Switching - where you need page file space
to park the work spaces of logged-on but inactive users