XP is getting to excruciatingly slow !!

1 view

Penang

Oct 17, 2009, 7:07:47 PM10/17/09
Even on cold boot it takes more than 5 minutes for XP to get
everything back in shape, ready to be used.

I have tried everything, from defragmenting the HD to "cleaning" the
registry to even defragmenting the registry, and it's STILL so slow.

Software wise, I don't use too many. Just the typical office thingy,
that's all.

What else should I do to speed up my XP machine --- a 4-core CPU with
4GB of RAM ?

Leonard Grey

Oct 17, 2009, 7:21:40 PM10/17/09
[Needless cross-posting removed.]

"Cleaning" a registry is unnecessary and often causes damage to your
computer.

Have you considered the possibility that your computer may be infected
with malware?

Have you reviewed the programs that start with Windows?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Daave

Oct 17, 2009, 7:25:42 PM10/17/09

How much RAM do you currently have?

How large is your hard drive and how much free space is on it?

XP Home, Pro, or MCE? Service Pack level?

Once the five minutes pass and "everything [is] back in shape," how is
the performance?

What antivirus program or suite do you use? Do you have it automatically
update and perhaps scan your drive each time you boot up?

FWIW, "cleaning" and "defragmenting" the registry won't boost your
performance. And you need to be careful; there have been numerous people
who have used these registry "cleaning" products only to find they are
left with a PC that doesn't boot!

Here are the typical causes of sluggishness:

1. Malicious software (malware). You need to rule this out first! This
page has excellent information:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Viruses_Malware

2. Certain programs that are designed to combat malware (e.g., Norton
and McAfee). Ironically, they can slow things down because they simply
use way too many resources. Sometime they cause conflicts with other
programs. And their default mode is to scan your entire hard drive each
time you boot up. Fortunately, there are other antimalware programs
available that use far fewer resources (e.g., NOD32, Avast, and Avira).

3. Too many of certain types of programs always running in the
background -- with or without your knowledge. (Then again, many programs
that run in the background have trivial consequences.)

To determine every program and process you are currently running, use
the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and click the Processes tab. You should
be able to sort by CPU usage or Memory usage to get a good ideas which
ones are the resource/memory hogs. You should write down the names of
all the processes for future detective work (or take a snapshot and
print it out).

Use these sites to determine what these programs are and to learn how to
configure them not to always run at startup:

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php#THE_PROGRAMS
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

Sometimes it is recommended to use msconfig to configure the programs to
not run at startup. A better, more thorough program is Autoruns:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

But before you do this, you should use the preference settings of the
program in question. Otherwise, for some programs, they will return to
the startup list anyway!

If you do wish to use msconfig, it may be accessed this way:

Start | Run | type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) | Enter (or
OK)

4. Not enough RAM, which causes the PC to overly rely on the pagefile. A
quick way to determine if this is happening is to open Task Manager
(Ctrl+Alt+Del) and click the Performance tab. Then note the three values
under Commit Charge (K): in the lower left-hand corner: Total, Limit,
and Peak.

The Total figure represents the amount of memory you are using at that
very moment. The Peak figure represents the highest amount of memory you
used since last bootup. If both these figures are below the value of
Physical Memory (K) Total, then you probably have plenty of RAM.
In case you want to explore this further, you may run Page File Monitor
for Windows XP:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm

5. You might also want to check that your hard drive's access mode
didn't change from DMA to PIO:

http://www.technize.com/2007/08/02/is-your-hard-disk-cddvd-drives-too-slow-while-copying/

and

http://users.bigpond.net.au/ninjaduck/itserviceduck/udma_fix/

SC Tom

Oct 17, 2009, 7:44:25 PM10/17/09

"Penang" <kala...@gmail.com> wrote in message

When's the last time you ran a scan for viruses and other malware?

SC Tom

(PeteCresswell)

Oct 17, 2009, 7:59:21 PM10/17/09
Per Penang:

>Even on cold boot it takes more than 5 minutes for XP to get
>everything back in shape, ready to be used.

>What else should I do to speed up my XP machine --- a 4-core CPU with
>4GB of RAM ?

Speaking as one who doesn't know a lot about operating systems -
buy who has a teenager beating on their PCs every day after
school for a couple hours....

I have become comfortable with imaging my systems right after a
build. This takes about 20 minutes - but presupposes the
discipline of not ever keeping "data" on C:. I keep "data" on
a separate "D:" drive always.

There are dozens of utilities that do this. Mine is called
Terabyte and cost about 20 bucks.

I write the image to a USB2 drive and keep a little notebook
where I write down any changes I make to the system post-image.

When things get flaky - which maybe as often as every couple of
weeks, here's what I do:

1) I restore the last image I took.

2) I re-make whatever changes to the system I made since.

3) I take another image with those changes in it.

This takes maybe 30 minutes at the most - depending on how many
changes I've made and how diligent I've been about keeping track
of them.

Works for me, and also is a hedge against physical drive failure
- although I've only had a couple of those in my whole life.

--
PeteCresswell

Unknown

Oct 17, 2009, 8:00:10 PM10/17/09

"Penang" <kala...@gmail.com> wrote in message

If the problem of being slow happened within a quick
period of time then as others have already mentioned
it could be one or more Viruses.

Hard drive free space again as mentioned could also be the cause
and or badly fragmented drive.

One other thing is that you have over a period of time installed
to many apps or mini apps that load when you first boot.

Multiple AV software programs that are both in 'Active Scan' mode
can cause the slowdown.

A useful tool to see what loads during the boot and login steps
if you want to dig deeper is AutoRuns from the MS Windows SysInternals site:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

AutoRuns will show/list all apps/etc. that load/run when you first boot ...
(the 'Boot Execute' tab),
when you logon (the 'Logon' tab) and other programs that load
(grouped by labeled tabs) for easy viewing.

It also provides the ability to selectively allows you to stop
(use with care) any program that you don't want to load.
You can undo any changes you have made.

Note: To get additional details on an item in the list you can't
readily identify you may need to highlight the item (right click) and use
the 'Search Online' option to get the details,
especially useful for the more obscure items in the list.

Probably one of the most noticeable slowdowns when
booting can be caused by AV software. Some products
now include "Boot Scans" and "Quick Scans"
(when you log on), compound this with other programs
that load when you first log on and you can see a noticeable
slowdown from a PC that you just re-installed XP to the
same PC after one or more AV products are installed on.

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

Penang

Oct 17, 2009, 8:34:09 PM10/17/09
RAM = 4GB

HD 1 = 640GB
HD 2 = 1TB

HD mostly empty, though.

XP Pro.

Once the 5 minutes it takes to get past the cold boot (and get
everything ready), performance is okay.

Malware wise, I've scanned and re-scanned the computer with all types
of malware scanners. So I think all the malware (at least most of
them) have been eliminated.

> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php#THE_PROGRAMShttp://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

> Sometimes it is recommended to use msconfig to configure the programs to
> not run at startup. A better, more thorough program is Autoruns:
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
>
> But before you do this, you should use the preference settings of the
> program in question. Otherwise, for some programs, they will return to
> the startup list anyway!
>
> If you do wish to use msconfig, it may be accessed this way:
>
> Start | Run | type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) | Enter (or
> OK)
>
> 4. Not enough RAM, which causes the PC to overly rely on the pagefile. A
> quick way to determine if this is happening is to open Task Manager
> (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and click the Performance tab. Then note the three values
> under Commit Charge (K): in the lower left-hand corner: Total, Limit,
> and Peak.
>
> The Total figure represents the amount of memory you are using at that
> very moment. The Peak figure represents the highest amount of memory you
> used since last bootup. If both these figures are below the value of
> Physical Memory (K) Total, then you probably have plenty of RAM.
> In case you want to explore this further, you may run Page File Monitor
> for Windows XP:
>
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm
>
> 5. You might also want to check that your hard drive's access mode
> didn't change from DMA to PIO:
>

> http://www.technize.com/2007/08/02/is-your-hard-disk-cddvd-drives-too...
>
> and
>
> http://users.bigpond.net.au/ninjaduck/itserviceduck/udma_fix/

BillW50

Oct 17, 2009, 8:36:45 PM10/17/09
(PeteCresswell) wrote on Sat, 17 Oct 2009 19:59:21 -0400:
> Speaking as one who doesn't know a lot about operating systems -
> buy who has a teenager beating on their PCs every day after
> school for a couple hours....
>
> I have become comfortable with imaging my systems right after a
> build. This takes about 20 minutes - but presupposes the
> discipline of not ever keeping "data" on C:. I keep "data" on
> a separate "D:" drive always.
>
> There are dozens of utilities that do this. Mine is called
> Terabyte and cost about 20 bucks...

You can do this for free. Lots of them actually.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

Ken Blake, MVP

Oct 17, 2009, 8:51:30 PM10/17/09

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 16:07:47 -0700 (PDT), Penang <kala...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Even on cold boot it takes more than 5 minutes for XP to get
> everything back in shape, ready to be used.

Are you talking about how long it takes to boot, rather than its speed
in doing things after booting?

> I have tried everything, from defragmenting the HD to "cleaning" the
> registry

Ugh! That's much more likely to exacerbate the problem than to fix it.
Here's my standard post on the subject:

Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the
registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.

The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
it may have.

Read http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html

> to even defragmenting the registry, and it's STILL so slow.
>
> Software wise, I don't use too many. Just the typical office thingy,
> that's all.
>
> What else should I do to speed up my XP machine --- a 4-core CPU with
> 4GB of RAM ?

First reply to my question above and tell us whether the machine is
slow, or just slow in booting.

Also, what anti-virus and anti-spyware programs do you run? Are they
up date? Have they ever found infections? When? What infections did
they find? How many infections did you have?

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Bob Knowlden

Oct 17, 2009, 9:30:14 PM10/17/09
Here's a semi-random suggestion:

Does anything of interest appear in Even Viewer? Sometimes a process or
service that isn't loading properly can lead to a long boot time.

Daave

Oct 17, 2009, 10:20:02 PM10/17/09
You didn't answer this part:

>> What antivirus program or suite do you use? Do you have it
>> automatically update and perhaps scan your drive each time you boot
>> up?

Assuming you have no malware and since your performance is fine (other
than the first five minutes), it seems likely that your antivirus
program/suite is configured to automatically update and perhaps scan
your drive each time you boot up.

Is this something you can live with?

relic

Oct 17, 2009, 11:05:43 PM10/17/09

Format and do a clean install, or spend the next 6 or 7 months trying
everyones' suggestions.

Penn...@derrymaine.gov

Oct 18, 2009, 12:21:46 AM10/18/09
BillW50 <Bil...@aol.kom> wrote:

>> I have become comfortable with imaging my systems right after a
>> build. This takes about 20 minutes - but presupposes the
>> discipline of not ever keeping "data" on C:. I keep "data" on
>> a separate "D:" drive always.

>> There are dozens of utilities that do this. Mine is called
>> Terabyte and cost about 20 bucks...

>You can do this for free. Lots of them actually.

Ya, just by copying them where you want them, I have nothing in My
Documents, Pictures, Music and so on, I save everything mostly to my
F:\ Drive

Heck, Tweak UI will change the directories "My Documents, Pictures,
Music and so on" to anywhere you want your stuff saved.
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

-If your not running XP, each Windows OS has it's own powertoys, and
version of Tweak UI-
--

Find Waldo
http://tinyurl.com/yj8ds74

Penn...@derrymaine.gov

Oct 18, 2009, 12:32:08 AM10/18/09
Penang <kala...@gmail.com> wrote:

Know your system well, and what should be running and what you have
disabled?

While I follow all the advice given above, Autoruns is what I use to
disable what didn't get the word it wasn't suppose to load.

You'll also find a lot of programs that can't be found - you find
them or delete the entry. Some files (Dll's) can be seen loading
several time, only need one.

It's a great program, you just have to remember to check it first if a
program, service or device doesn't work.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Boris

Oct 18, 2009, 12:59:14 AM10/18/09
Penang <kala...@gmail.com> wrote in news:67aab408-0982-4c05-93ce-
775c29...@h14g2000pri.googlegroups.com:

I once had that problem. It turned out that my OS was looking for an
orphaned network drive that once existed, but no longer did. I used
regscanner:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/regscanner.html

to find all instances in the registry of that particular network drive,
and deleted them. All was fine.

Boris

Oct 18, 2009, 1:02:03 AM10/18/09
Boris <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in

P.S. Regscanner is NOT a regcleaner. It only locates what you enter in
the search criteria. You then decide what to do with what you find.

Kadaitcha Man

Oct 18, 2009, 7:23:04 AM10/18/09
On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 00:24:56 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

> Posted to 24hshd only
>
> Penang wrote:
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, alt.os.windows-xp,
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support, 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web User-Agent: G2/1.0

>> What else should I do
>

> You should definitely crosspost to more groups, googlegrouper.
>
> Not.

You got a problem with crossposts, you fuck-knuckled tardling?

--
Ubuntu 9.04 (2.6.28-15)

Kadaitcha Man

Oct 18, 2009, 7:23:26 AM10/18/09
On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 00:24:56 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

> Posted to 24hshd only
>
> Penang wrote:
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, alt.os.windows-xp,
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support, 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web User-Agent: G2/1.0
>

>> What else should I do

Kadaitcha Man

Oct 18, 2009, 7:33:08 AM10/18/09
On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 00:27:57 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

> Top posting crossposting GGer.

Whiny fucking 24hoursupport.retard.

--
Ubuntu 9.04 (2.6.28-15)

HeyBub

Oct 18, 2009, 7:58:14 AM10/18/09

Defragmenting the hard drive, even a heavily fragmented one, will not
improve efficiency. The NTFS system's "directory" and file layout is similar
to a relational database in that access time is virtually the same
irrespective of the data's location or fragmentation.

Likewise, registry "cleaning" or "compaction" has no detectable effect on
efficiency. The registry is not searched sequentially so its size is
irrelevant to proper or efficient operation of the computer.

Try "Hibernation" instead of "Shut down" to mitigate the slow start-up
symptom.

Oct 18, 2009, 9:46:47 AM10/18/09
HeyBub wrote:
> Penang wrote:
>> Even on cold boot it takes more than 5 minutes for XP to get
>> everything back in shape, ready to be used.
>>
>> I have tried everything, from defragmenting the HD to "cleaning" the
>> registry to even defragmenting the registry, and it's STILL so slow.
>>
>> Software wise, I don't use too many. Just the typical office thingy,
>> that's all.
>>
>> What else should I do to speed up my XP machine --- a 4-core CPU with
>> 4GB of RAM ?
>
> Defragmenting the hard drive, even a heavily fragmented one, will not
> improve efficiency.

It makes XP boot faster.

The NTFS system's "directory" and file layout is similar
> to a relational database in that access time is virtually the same
> irrespective of the data's location or fragmentation.
>
> Likewise, registry "cleaning" or "compaction" has no detectable effect on
> efficiency. The registry is not searched sequentially so its size is
> irrelevant to proper or efficient operation of the computer.
>
> Try "Hibernation" instead of "Shut down" to mitigate the slow start-up
> symptom.

Walk around instead of a fix. Boring. To the OP, reinstall Windows,
Windows rot has set in big time.

(PeteCresswell)

Oct 18, 2009, 9:50:13 AM10/18/09
Per Penn...@DerryMaine.Gov:

>>> There are dozens of utilities that do this. Mine is called
>>> Terabyte and cost about 20 bucks...
>
>>You can do this for free. Lots of them actually.
>
>Ya, just by copying them where you want them, I have nothing in My
>Documents, Pictures, Music and so on, I save everything mostly to my
>F:\ Drive

Poor arrangement of words by Yours Truly.

The utilities I was trying to refer to are those that create disc
images.
--
PeteCresswell

S??hW0?ƒ

Oct 18, 2009, 10:46:03 AM10/18/09

Norton Ghost not good enough fer yas? We used that all teh tiem at
school to reimage teh computer labs.

^_^

db

Oct 18, 2009, 2:52:59 PM10/18/09
there are many reasons why a computer
can become slow.

one way to double check performance is
to boot into the safe modes.

if the system is zippy quick in the safe
modes,

then you have eliminated 50 percent of
the possible problems that are causing
poor system performance.

--
db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kadaitcha Man

Oct 18, 2009, 4:57:35 PM10/18/09

Ok, thanks ever so much for sharing, but what should he do? Hmmm? You
dumbfuck fool.

--
Ubuntu 9.04 (2.6.28-15)

HeyBub

Oct 18, 2009, 6:34:47 PM10/18/09

db wrote:
> there are many reasons why a computer
> can become slow.
>
> one way to double check performance is
> to boot into the safe modes.
>
> if the system is zippy quick in the safe
> modes,
>
> then you have eliminated 50 percent of
> the possible problems that are causing
> poor system performance.

Inasmuch as ONE of the culprits could be an attempt to network-connect to an
impossible device, don't neglect "Safe mode with no networking" in the
diagnostic protocol.

HeyBub

Oct 18, 2009, 6:33:21 PM10/18/09

M wrote:
> HeyBub wrote:
>> Penang wrote:
>>> Even on cold boot it takes more than 5 minutes for XP to get
>>> everything back in shape, ready to be used.
>>>
>>> I have tried everything, from defragmenting the HD to "cleaning" the
>>> registry to even defragmenting the registry, and it's STILL so slow.
>>>
>>> Software wise, I don't use too many. Just the typical office thingy,
>>> that's all.
>>>
>>> What else should I do to speed up my XP machine --- a 4-core CPU
>>> with 4GB of RAM ?
>>
>> Defragmenting the hard drive, even a heavily fragmented one, will not
>> improve efficiency.
>
> It makes XP boot faster.

I don't think so. The second thing that has to load is NTFS and it, in turn,
then loads everything it needs for subsequent access. Everything.

Oct 18, 2009, 6:47:48 PM10/18/09

I've timed it numerous times on many machines and it boots faster.

Daave

Oct 18, 2009, 7:14:28 PM10/18/09

Out of curiosity, how much faster did these machines boot?

chrisv

Oct 18, 2009, 7:37:09 PM10/18/09
Penang wrote:
> Even on cold boot it takes more than 5 minutes for XP to get
> everything back in shape, ready to be used.
>
> I have tried everything, from defragmenting the HD to "cleaning" the
> registry to even defragmenting the registry, and it's STILL so slow.
>
> Software wise, I don't use too many. Just the typical office thingy,
> that's all.
>
> What else should I do to speed up my XP machine --- a 4-core CPU with
> 4GB of RAM ?

So far, two have advised you to Format and start over with a fresh install.
Let me be the third one. All the other crap will just spin your wheels.

Ken Blake, MVP

Oct 18, 2009, 8:20:50 PM10/18/09
On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 16:37:09 -0700, "chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

My view is that that's terrible advice. It *might* be the best thing
to do, but certainly not without having any idea of what's causing the
problem.

Oct 18, 2009, 8:53:06 PM10/18/09

That depended on how badly fragmented it was which could mean up to a
minute less boot time.

relic

Oct 18, 2009, 9:15:19 PM10/18/09
Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 16:37:09 -0700, "chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Penang wrote:
>>> Even on cold boot it takes more than 5 minutes for XP to get
>>> everything back in shape, ready to be used.
>>>
>>> I have tried everything, from defragmenting the HD to "cleaning" the
>>> registry to even defragmenting the registry, and it's STILL so slow.
>>>
>>> Software wise, I don't use too many. Just the typical office thingy,
>>> that's all.
>>>
>>> What else should I do to speed up my XP machine --- a 4-core CPU
>>> with 4GB of RAM ?
>>
>> So far, two have advised you to Format and start over with a fresh
>> install. Let me be the third one. All the other crap will just spin
>> your wheels.
>

> My view is that that's terrible advice. It *might* be the best thing
> to do, but certainly not without having any idea of what's causing the
> problem.

It's XP. That's what XP does... get slower and slower.

Daave

Oct 18, 2009, 9:22:57 PM10/18/09

That's pretty significant!

Daave

Oct 18, 2009, 9:23:30 PM10/18/09

Maybe in your case...

Ken Blake, MVP

Oct 18, 2009, 10:27:22 PM10/18/09

You may believe whatever you want to believe. It's not my experience
at all, and I completely disagree with that statement. XP gets slower
and slower only on the computers of people who do everything with it
wrong.

Penn...@derrymaine.gov

Oct 19, 2009, 1:02:24 AM10/19/09
"Ken Blake, MVP" <kbl...@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

>> It's XP. That's what XP does... get slower and slower.

>You may believe whatever you want to believe. It's not my experience
>at all, and I completely disagree with that statement. XP gets slower
>and slower only on the computers of people who do everything with it
>wrong.

I had XP Pro and Home dual booting for over 4.5 years, and kept them
humming along (Home was just a back door to Pro). Speed wasn't a
problem, some odd ball stuff was, like the boot.ini file would change
itself from.
WINDOWS="XP Pro E_Drive" /fastdetect /NoExecute=Optin to
WINDOWS="XP Pro E_Drive" /fastdetect=Optout
Never could figure/trace that one down (not malware, or a rootkit)
there's just so many times you can use ERUNT or repair installs.

I finally formatted the two partitions, the restore disks didn't work
for home (too old?), so I dual booted slipstreamed XPSP3's - things
aren't working right any more - and one of the two is slower than it
should be.

I plan on reformatting that Partition, then install XP, SP1, SP2, and
maybe SP3.

Just saying even after 4.5 years of operation (with SP3), I was
operating faster and with fewer problems, than after a clean install.
(and all drivers have been installed).

Note: I reinstalled as my Best Buy network card quit working, and I
thought it was windows Pro. I had the internal one disabled with
autoruns - thus my warning about autoruns in my post above.

John John - MVP

Oct 19, 2009, 8:37:17 AM10/19/09

With the Prefetch mechanism in the picture it seems pretty specious to me...

John

Oct 19, 2009, 9:22:07 AM10/19/09

The machine in question was so badly fragmented that you couldn't see
any blue in the defrag app, just red and it had over 15,000 fragmented
files. Even the defrag recommended defragging it. It took about 25
passes with the XP scrolling bar before it went to the Welcome screen.
After defragmenting, it went down to six passes.

Most machines only see 5 to 10 second improvements.

S∩∪hw0ζƒ

Oct 19, 2009, 10:26:57 AM10/19/09
Penn...@DerryMaine.Gov wrote:
[...]

> I finally formatted the two partitions, the restore disks didn't work
> for home (too old?), so I dual booted slipstreamed XPSP3's - things
> aren't working right any more - and one of the two is slower than it
> should be.
>
> I plan on reformatting that Partition, then install XP, SP1, SP2, and
> maybe SP3.
>
> Just saying even after 4.5 years of operation (with SP3), I was
> operating faster and with fewer problems, than after a clean install.
> (and all drivers have been installed).
>
> Note: I reinstalled as my Best Buy network card quit working, and I
> thought it was windows Pro. I had the internal one disabled with
> autoruns - thus my warning about autoruns in my post above.

Check out BlackVipers website and turn off all the unnecessary services.
The list is pretty comprehensive.

HTH

Shiva

Oct 19, 2009, 3:22:29 PM10/19/09
relic wrote:

You better use linux. Never had these problems with Debian.

Penn...@derrymaine.gov

Oct 19, 2009, 3:30:12 PM10/19/09
S??hw0?� <snuh...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Just saying even after 4.5 years of operation (with SP3), I was
>> operating faster and with fewer problems, than after a clean install.
>> (and all drivers have been installed).

>Check out BlackVipers website and turn off all the unnecessary services.
>The list is pretty comprehensive.

I have see BLackvipers site, there's another I use and used to link to
http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_unnecessary_services_on_windows_xp
It's changed, not as informative, and a log-in site now as well.

BlackViper says to turn a service to manual, if it's needed it will
start, not for me. It's either enabled (auto) or disabled, manual is a
disable switch on my system before the clean install and after - Try
this on the spooler service.

Oh ya, I'm very fimilar with which services don't need to be running.

One of the very first things I do after an install of XP is to disable
the Themes service, I get an automatic CPU increase (it's claimed 1/3
of the CPU cycles are used by the themes service (no reference)); DNS
client service cause I have a large HOSTS file, and quite a few other
services.

I have the Automatic updates service disabled, and I'm getting
automatic update install request, (latest install), I've never had the
WGA service installed on any OS, it's sure trying to get in now. Avast
warns me when the update file is uploaded to my temp directory (I
don't have activeX installed) and I delete it. (Comodo firewall won't
stop microsoft incoming (built in trusted site?).

I'm going back to zone alarm 5.5.094.
--

During the equinox, the sunlight casts long shadows across Saturn's rings,
highlighting previously known phenomena and revealing a few never-before

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/10/saturn_at_equinox.html

Bob I

Oct 19, 2009, 3:55:51 PM10/19/09
I would suggest checking to see if harddrive access is still running in
DMA mode. (Device manager, IDE controller, R-click on Primary Channel,
select Properties, then Advanced setting) Is it running DMA or POI?

�n�hw��f

Oct 19, 2009, 6:00:43 PM10/19/09
Penn...@DerryMaine.Gov wrote in

> S??hw0?� <snuh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>> Just saying even after 4.5 years of operation (with SP3), I was
>>> operating faster and with fewer problems, than after a clean install.
>>> (and all drivers have been installed).
>
>>Check out BlackVipers website and turn off all the unnecessary
services.
>>The list is pretty comprehensive.
>

> I have see BLackvipers site, there's another I use and used to link to
> http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_unnecessary_services_on_windows_xp
> It's changed, not as informative, and a log-in site now as well.

Try "BugMeNot"? to seeif theres been a login created for it?

> BlackViper says to turn a service to manual, if it's needed it will
> start, not for me.

You'll notice some lost funtionality and then yu get to play "guess whats
necessary".

> It's either enabled (auto) or disabled, manual is a
> disable switch on my system before the clean install and after - Try
> this on the spooler service.

Print spoolers safe to leave to auto.

> Oh ya, I'm very fimilar with which services don't need to be running.

^_^

> One of the very first things I do after an install of XP is to disable
> the Themes service,

I likes it pretty though...

> I get an automatic CPU increase (it's claimed 1/3
> of the CPU cycles are used by the themes service (no reference)); DNS
> client service cause I have a large HOSTS file, and quite a few other
> services.

Hosts can slow down loading of pages in FF. I'd rather go with NoScript.

> I have the Automatic updates service disabled, and I'm getting
> automatic update install request, (latest install), I've never had the
> WGA service installed on any OS, it's sure trying to get in now.

Thats easily killed from the services snap-in.

> Avast
> warns me when the update file is uploaded to my temp directory (I
> don't have activeX installed) and I delete it. (Comodo firewall won't
> stop microsoft incoming (built in trusted site?).

I dont use that one :)
Prolly a way to blacklst what you want tho...

> I'm going back to zone alarm 5.5.094.

Heh.

Penn...@derrymaine.gov

Oct 20, 2009, 2:47:00 AM10/20/09
"�n�hw��f" <snuh...@netscape.net> wrote:

>> BlackViper says to turn a service to manual, if it's needed it will
>> start, not for me.
>
>You'll notice some lost funtionality and then yu get to play "guess whats
>necessary".

I don't just turn them off, I know what they do, or will google them
first.

> DNS
>> client service cause I have a large HOSTS file, and quite a few other
>> services.
>>
>Hosts can slow down loading of pages in FF. I'd rather go with NoScript.

That's why you disable the DNS service.

"Editors Note: in most cases a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to
slow down the machine.
This only occurs in W2000/XP/Vista. Windows 98 and ME are not
affected." (then goes on to explain how to disable the DNS service)
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

>> Avast
>> warns me when the update file is uploaded to my temp directory (I
>> don't have activeX installed) and I delete it. (Comodo firewall won't
>> stop microsoft incoming (built in trusted site?).
>>
>I dont use that one :)
>Prolly a way to blacklst what you want tho...

Avast or Comodo? I just deleted both and installed Nod32 and Zonealarm

Avast kept asking if it was ok to delete files, this even when
emptying the recycle bin. I'd turn it off but it would be the
antivirus program I disabled. just too confusing. and my Boot.ini file
changed and avast didn't say a word.

§ñühw¤£f

Oct 20, 2009, 10:50:59 AM10/20/09
Penn...@DerryMaine.Gov wrote:
> "�n�hw��f" <snuh...@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>>> BlackViper says to turn a service to manual, if it's needed it will
>>> start, not for me.
>> You'll notice some lost funtionality and then yu get to play "guess whats
>> necessary".
>
> I don't just turn them off, I know what they do, or will google them
> first.

Yer not very adventurous then ;)

>> DNS
>>> client service cause I have a large HOSTS file, and quite a few other
>>> services.
>>>
>> Hosts can slow down loading of pages in FF. I'd rather go with NoScript.
>
> That's why you disable the DNS service.
>
> "Editors Note: in most cases a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to
> slow down the machine.
> This only occurs in W2000/XP/Vista. Windows 98 and ME are not
> affected." (then goes on to explain how to disable the DNS service)
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Yeah after I read that I figured there were other ways to do things.
Maybe after Ive broken this install I'll try the hoasts fiel.

>>> Avast
>>> warns me when the update file is uploaded to my temp directory (I
>>> don't have activeX installed) and I delete it. (Comodo firewall won't
>>> stop microsoft incoming (built in trusted site?).
>>>
>> I dont use that one :)
>> Prolly a way to blacklst what you want tho...
>
> Avast or Comodo? I just deleted both and installed Nod32 and Zonealarm

Well there you go :)

> Avast kept asking if it was ok to delete files, this even when
> emptying the recycle bin. I'd turn it off but it would be the
> antivirus program I disabled. just too confusing. and my Boot.ini file
> changed and avast didn't say a word.

CCleaner wouldnt fix that?
Hmmm...

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S39MhPrLQz4

www.snuhwolf.9f.com | http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

_..._ ___ ___ ___ ___ _..._
,' `::. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,' `::.
: `::: `:: `:: `:: `:: `:::
: .::: .:: .:: .:: .:: .:::
: .:::`. .;' `. .;' `. .;'.`. .;': .:::
: .::: `.' .`.'.: `.' ::`.' :. .:::
:. .::' ::: : `: .:::
`: .:: : : .::'
: .:: . :. .::
: ::' `: .::.
.\ `: ,: :. : .::.:
:.\ :. :.: :`: .' .::.:
::`. : :':: : `: : .;'.:
: `.; :'.:: : :: ;:' ::
. :' .::. .: .:: :
: :' ::: :' .:: .
: `:: : .::
:' .::. .: .:::
: .::: ,:. .:. :' .:::
: .:::,' `:. ,' `:.: .:::
: .::: ::: ::: .:::
: .::: ::: ::: .:::
`._ .::'.`._.::' `._.::'.`._ .::' _ Seal _
~~~ :: :: ~~~

BillW50

Oct 21, 2009, 10:36:33 AM10/21/09
In news:7f5ld51ssu0h2df9t...@4ax.com,
Penn...@DerryMaine.Gov typed on Sat, 17 Oct 2009 21:21:46 -0700:

> BillW50 <Bil...@aol.kom> wrote:
>
>>> I have become comfortable with imaging my systems right after a
>>> build. This takes about 20 minutes - but presupposes the
>>> discipline of not ever keeping "data" on C:. I keep "data" on
>>> a separate "D:" drive always.
>
>>> There are dozens of utilities that do this. Mine is called
>>> Terabyte and cost about 20 bucks...
>
>> You can do this for free. Lots of them actually.
>
> Ya, just by copying them where you want them, I have nothing in My
> Documents, Pictures, Music and so on, I save everything mostly to my
> F:\ Drive
>
> Heck, Tweak UI will change the directories "My Documents, Pictures,
> Music and so on" to anywhere you want your stuff saved.
> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx
>
> -If your not running XP, each Windows OS has it's own powertoys, and
> version of Tweak UI-

No what I am referring to for free are like Acronis True Image and
Paragon. Both are top of the line backup software available at any
price.

Acronis True Image Seagate Edition (DiscWizard)
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard

Acronis True Image WD Edition
http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&type=download&wdc_lang=en

Paragon DriveBackup Express 9 (free)
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/

And you really don't need to separate the docs from the system
partition. As most backup programs can backup folders as well as
partitions. So you can if you want too, make a backup of the system and
the data inn two separate backups from the same partition if you want.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

BillW50

Oct 21, 2009, 12:00:07 PM10/21/09

Yeah... you won't have that problem, but you will have lots of other
problems with Linux. I call my Linux machines as glorified PDAs. All you
can do is basic computer tasks and that is all. Even OpenOffice is
completely useless to me since it can't even convert case to title or
sentence case, which I use all of the time.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Xandros Linux (build 2007-10-19 13:03)

Penn...@derrymaine.gov

Oct 21, 2009, 4:45:12 PM10/21/09
"BillW50" <Bil...@aol.kom> wrote:

>And you really don't need to separate the docs from the system
>partition. As most backup programs can backup folders as well as
>partitions. So you can if you want too, make a backup of the system and
>the data inn two separate backups from the same partition if you want.

I have always stored everything off the OS partitions, I can lose an
OS, reinstall, and lose very little. It's a Dos thing that carried
over to an OS that scatters your data everywhere.

In fact I would rather run a stand alone program (process explorer,
VLC) one's that only needs the dir it's located in to run.

I have those on a separate partition, reinstalling the OS is much
easier as I just link to those from the Misgprgs directory.

I've never made a back up of my OS's, just a waste of CD's. I do
backup my Data which is on other partitions. Then catalog the CD's
with Whereisit.

I have Agent (my newsreader) on a separate partition, the directory
has been with me thru at least 7 different computers, and every OS
(not ME) since Win95 (I started with Agent .98). I've never lost so
much as a message, I still have a collection of info collected from
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc. group.

I just move the Agent directory, to the next computer or link it to
the newly installed OS, and edit the .ini file. On a dual boot system
I can start a post on one OS, reboot and finish it from the other.

I also don't use Tweak UI, that was posted for folks who do save to
the "my stuff dirs". I do use it for other tweaks.

BTW, I recently reinstalled two versions of XP pro, on purpose - they
had been running for a bit over 4.5 years, I can pull out of a serious
error (dual booting helps a lot) - it's not like I format due to a
fatal error, or on a whim.

At this moment if I were to lose the HD, I would only lose my recent
torrent files.

>And you really don't need to separate the docs from the system
>partition.

I do.

--

Dallas cop does 70 in a 40 mph zone without his lights or sirens on, hits a kid
on a bike and kills him. His punishment: A day off from work... wtf!