Why can't I display folder properties any more?

Gerry

May 31, 2003, 4:17:17 AM5/31/03

I have been cleaning up my HD and freeing space on C when suddenly I
cannot display folder properties. The HD itself and individual files
OK, but not folders. Nothing happens.
I have re-booted with the last known good configuration, but this did
not help.
Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

Thanks,
Gerry.
P.s. Sorry for the cross posting

Jim

May 31, 2003, 5:04:50 AM5/31/03

Did you perhaps delete important system files? If so, check the Recycle
Bin. If all else fails, you may have to do a "repair" (i.e., in-place
upgrade) installation to replace them.

Jim

"Gerry" <ger...@xs4all.nl> wrote in message

Gerry

May 31, 2003, 6:08:07 AM5/31/03
Don't think so. It is so wierd, just the folder properties. I have
just applied SP1 but no joy. I guess I will have to do as you suggest
and re-install:-(

Gerry.

Doug Knox MS-MVP

May 31, 2003, 12:02:50 PM5/31/03
Gerry,

Before you reinstall, do you have Internet Information Services installed?
If so, remove and reinstall it from Add/Remove, Windows Components.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes

"Gerry" <ger...@xs4all.nl> wrote in message

Gerry

May 31, 2003, 2:11:10 PM5/31/03
Doug,

Thanks a lot. I uninstalled IIS and lo and behold the properties came
back! Everything still seems to work so do I need to re-install IIS? I
am not running a web server or anything, just XP in a simple
workgroup.

Thanks again,
Gerry.

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Gerry

May 31, 2003, 3:00:36 PM5/31/03
Thanks Doug, you have been a great help.

Just to see what happens, and I shall be using remote desktop to dial
in to a client, I re-installed IIS and the folder properties promptly
went away again! Is this an IIS isue or is my PC on the blink? It is
not a show stopper, but it is extremly irritating.

Gerry.

Doug Knox MS-MVP

May 31, 2003, 4:00:56 PM5/31/03
I'm not sure why it happens, Gerry. Usually a remove/reinstall of IIS will
clear the problem. Note, you don't need IIS or the Remote Desktop web
component to use Remote Desktop to another machine, only if you need to be
able to access your machine from somewhere else. And as long as the
"client" has the Remote Desktop client installed, you don't even need
IIS/Remote Desktop Web.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Associate Expert
ExpertZone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Gerry" <ger...@xs4all.nl> wrote in message

Gerry

May 31, 2003, 6:19:34 PM5/31/03
Fantastic,
Thanks again for all your help. It is now half past midnight here, so
I am going to bed.
It is good to have you guys there when we need help.
Keep up the good work,
Gerry.