Suddenly my old dos programs will not run ????????????

Seth Russell

Sep 10, 2004, 7:56:28 PM9/10/04
Attempting to run a older .exe program in a command box on my XP system
about 4:00 pm I got the following windows waring error:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
C:\WINGOES\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

In fact i can count at least 3 of my older .exe that will not run
anymore and give the same message above. Note that these programs were
running just fine at 9:00 AM this morning.

I have rebooted my system and I still get the same erors.

What happened ?

HELP ! HELP ! HELP ! ....

If this is not the ritht forum for this kind of problem, could someone
direct me to the proper forum ?

Seth

Rho_1r

Sep 10, 2004, 8:21:06 PM9/10/04
try windows xp sp2 chat support,, free and MS tech chat with with you online,
if is not a sp2 issue, do a www search,,

Ron Martell

Sep 10, 2004, 11:38:57 PM9/10/04
Seth Russell <russel...@gmail.com> wrote:

Check the contents of the autoexec.nt file. Something may have been
added to it.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

RobertVA

Sep 11, 2004, 12:11:07 AM9/11/04
Read Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 305521: An Error Message Occurs When
You Run an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows Program

"Seth Russell" <russel...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Darrell S

Sep 11, 2004, 1:32:10 PM9/11/04
I had a program than ran fine with Windows 98SE but wouldn't run with XP. I
made a shortcut to the file that runs the program. I right clicked it,
chose Properties, and clicked on the Compatibility Tab. I put a checkmark
before Run this program in compatibility mode for: and in the box just
beneath, selected Windows 95. With that change the program runs fine in Win
XP. Might work for your DOS program.

--

B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
-

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Sep 11, 2004, 2:28:35 PM9/11/04
Seth Russell wrote:

> Attempting to run a older .exe program in a command box on my XP system
> about 4:00 pm I got the following windows waring error:
>
> 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
> C:\WINGOES\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
> running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
> Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
>
> In fact i can count at least 3 of my older .exe that will not run
> anymore and give the same message above. Note that these programs were
> running just fine at 9:00 AM this morning.
>
> I have rebooted my system and I still get the same erors.

Hi

This is an issue that have started to pop up lately for several people.

Please take a look at this article for how to fix it:

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
Windows-based program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Seth Russell

Sep 11, 2004, 3:24:03 PM9/11/04
Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
> Seth Russell wrote:
>
>> Attempting to run a older .exe program in a command box on my XP
>> system about 4:00 pm I got the following windows waring error:
>>
>> 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
>> C:\WINGOES\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
>> running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
>> Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
>>
>> In fact i can count at least 3 of my older .exe that will not run
>> anymore and give the same message above. Note that these programs
>> were running just fine at 9:00 AM this morning.
>>
>> I have rebooted my system and I still get the same erors.
>
> Hi
>
> This is an issue that have started to pop up lately for several people.
>
> Please take a look at this article for how to fix it:
>
> Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
> Windows-based program
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

Yes that fixes it, thank you. However a reboot will reestablish the
problem. What is causing this?

Seth

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Sep 11, 2004, 3:55:00 PM9/11/04
Seth Russell wrote:

> Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
>
>> This is an issue that have started to pop up lately for several
>> people.
>>
>> Please take a look at this article for how to fix it:
>>
>> Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
>> Windows-based program
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
>
> Yes that fixes it, thank you. However a reboot will reestablish
> the problem. What is causing this?

Hi

Please try this:

Fix the file(s) again , and then do a clean boot:

How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP

If the problem then is gone, you could add more and more (booting in
between each change) to the startup list to see if you can find out
what causes this.

Pleas post back any result :-)

Hal

Sep 14, 2004, 10:18:45 AM9/14/04
Good news folks...

A Downloader Trojan (TrojanDownloader.Win32.Dia.a)placed a program
called Winad Client on my machine. This is the program that has been
removing autoexec.nt and messing with config.nt & command.com.

Last week I replace all those files but after a reboot this weekend
the 16 Bit issue came back which i did not discover until this
morning, only hours after Norton Antivirus found the
Trojan.

Norton AV 2004 could not remove the trojan. Nor could AdAware SE
locate it. But PestPatrol (http://www.pestpatrol.com/) found the
trojan and removed it.

After some web searches on this Trojan, I discovered the installed
"Windupdater" program on machine is called Winad Client and it was
easily removed via Control Panel/Ad-Remove Programs (how silly).
Ironically afer the program is removed your browser is forwarded to a
Windupdater Url promoting Spyware removal.

Further scans show no more Downloader Trojan and the 3 Windows System
Files are staying intact.

I would like to add that in my opinion this issue is not an Windows XP
SP2 issue. As far as i can tell from the various post, for most people
it's just a timing coincidence around their resent install/up of SP2
and the prolification of this trojan. Furthermore, from my part, I am
looking further into whether this trojan arrived via my installation
of the CorelDraw 12 SP1 with it's notoriously invasive & unremovable
Update Manager program by InstallShield, since the timing is more
correct for my issue and the fact that the Trojan ends up promoting
various Warez Utilities.

psa...@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2005, 12:44:25 AM1/9/05
If you are unable to find the cause of the problem, then the following
may save you the trouble of repeatedly replacing the file. Copy the
autoexec.nt file into the system32 folder, and then in the file's
properties dialogue set it to 'read only'. This seems to stop the file
from being moved/deleted.

wolfwrangler

Jan 23, 2005, 3:43:25 PM1/23/05
I found your advice very helpfull! I thought you were on to something
when you mentioned the program Winad Client. Thank-you! I remembered
seeing that on my computer. I actually thought I had deleted it before
during a virus scan, but it was still there. I deleted it, hopefully
for good!
I also found this site
http://unodocs.nmsu.edu/RoboDocs/WebHelp/jinitiator/ji_05.htm and did
what they suggested. Even though it sounded the same as previous advice
on support.microsoft.com, I think I understood it more clearly, and
finally I did it the right way. I'm new at finding help, and
troubleshoot my computer problems. I found this site very helpfull.
Persistance had alot to do with it too. Thanks!!! - Bill