How do I access Windows Updates - yellow notificaiton shield disappears when download is finished?

niteowl

May 8, 2009, 5:39:12 PM5/8/09

Lately everytime windows updates downloads security patches, etc. the
icon shows while it's downloading, but when it completes, it
disappears. I have it set to download and let me decide when (and
what) to install.

The only place it shows up after that is when I click to shut down, it
has the icon "attached" to the "Turn Off" button for shutting down.

I wish to decide which patches to install, so I know they have been
downloaded, but where do they reside on the computer so I can go and
manually choose which I want to install?

thanks,
niteowl

p.s. I've seen this problem on and off over time, but have never seen
an answer for this.

Leythos

May 8, 2009, 6:45:34 PM5/8/09
You need to format your hard drive and reinstall windows.

drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
spam9...@rohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

"niteowl" wrote in message

Malke

May 8, 2009, 7:48:52 PM5/8/09
niteowl wrote:

The person posting as "Leythos" is not the real Leythos. You should ignore
the imposter, who is apparently mentally ill.

As for your question, I would post in the Windows Update newsgroup if you
don't get a real answer here. I'm not a WU expert by any means, but there
are lots of experts in the WU newsgroup who can probably help you.

microsoft.public.windowsupdate

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

PA Bear [MS MVP]

May 8, 2009, 8:10:45 PM5/8/09
[Ignore that Lethos spoofer.]

Example: You've configured Automatic Updates (AU) to the Notify Only setting
and have approved the download of multiple updates. Time passes but the AU
icon telling you that updates have downloaded and are ready to be installed
never appears. You go to shutdown only to find that the normal TURN OFF
button has been replaced with INSTALL UPDATES AND TURN OFF COMPUTER.

Explanation: AU's "Updates are ready to be installed" prompt will only
appear if all of the updates you've approved have downloaded. In this case,
only some of them have. (No, you really can't tell which ones have download
and which haven't, unfortunately...at least not without examine your
WindowsUpdate.log.)

If you examine your WindowsUpdate.log, you'll most likely see numerous
"Update is not allowed to download due to regulation" entries. This means
the update servers are swamped and aren't available for AU to use (cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910340). This can happen when multiple,
huge updates are released at the same time (e.g., Office 2007 SP2, IE8, and
numerous other Office updates were released a week ago) and millions of
computers are trying to download/install them via AU.

Workarounds:

1. Use the INSTALL UPDATES & SHUTDOWN option to install the updates which
have downloaded, then wait for the others to download later.

2. Leave you computer running (preferably with Power Options configured to
put the computer in Hibernation after a certain length of time) and wait for
AU to download the rest of the updates & prompt you to install them.

3. Install the updates manually via Windows/Microsoft Update website.
Understand that by doing so, you're pushing all the other Automatic Updates
users further back in the queue (which may explain, at least in part, why
Automatic Updates hasn't brought them in for you yet).
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

niteowl wrote:
> Lately everytime windows updates downloads security patches, etc. the
> icon shows while it's downloading, but when it completes, it
> disappears. I have it set to download and let me decide when (and
> what) to install.
>
> The only place it shows up after that is when I click to shut down, it
> has the icon "attached" to the "Turn Off" button for shutting down.
>
> I wish to decide which patches to install, so I know they have been
> downloaded, but where do they reside on the computer so I can go and
> manually choose which I want to install?

Leythos

May 8, 2009, 8:37:09 PM5/8/09
In article <iC2Nl.9320$hX2....@newsfe19.iad>, spam99...@rrohio.com
says...
> From: "Leythos" <spam99...@rrohio.com>
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
> Subject: Re: How do I access Windows Updates - yellow notificaiton shield disappears when download is finished?
> Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 15:45:34 -0700

> You need to format your hard drive and reinstall windows.

Well Chris and his sock are still impersonating me - The headers prove
that I (Leythos) did not post the above statement. Abuse reported to
Teranews.

drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

spam9...@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

niteowl

May 9, 2009, 9:40:36 AM5/9/09
On Fri, 8 May 2009 20:10:45 -0400, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABe...@gmail.com> wrote:

>[Ignore that Lethos spoofer.]

already ignored, (actually killfiled him)

>Example: You've configured Automatic Updates (AU) to the Notify Only setting
>and have approved the download of multiple updates. Time passes but the AU
>icon telling you that updates have downloaded and are ready to be installed
>never appears. You go to shutdown only to find that the normal TURN OFF
>button has been replaced with INSTALL UPDATES AND TURN OFF COMPUTER.
>
>Explanation: AU's "Updates are ready to be installed" prompt will only
>appear if all of the updates you've approved have downloaded. In this case,
>only some of them have. (No, you really can't tell which ones have download
>and which haven't, unfortunately...at least not without examine your
>WindowsUpdate.log.)

a lot of "2009-05-09 08:00:48:296 944 204 DnldMgr
Regulation: {9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77} - Update
D5100858-9CD1-40EE-8041-FC9778767E3E is "PerUpdate" regulated and can
NOT download. Sequence 203 vs AcceptRate 0." or similar listings

>If you examine your WindowsUpdate.log, you'll most likely see numerous
>"Update is not allowed to download due to regulation" entries. This means
>the update servers are swamped and aren't available for AU to use (cf.
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910340). This can happen when multiple,
>huge updates are released at the same time (e.g., Office 2007 SP2, IE8, and
>numerous other Office updates were released a week ago) and millions of
>computers are trying to download/install them via AU.

this seems to be the most likely at them moment unless I'm misreading
the log file.

>Workarounds:
>
>1. Use the INSTALL UPDATES & SHUTDOWN option to install the updates which
>have downloaded, then wait for the others to download later.
>
>2. Leave you computer running (preferably with Power Options configured to
>put the computer in Hibernation after a certain length of time) and wait for
>AU to download the rest of the updates & prompt you to install them.
>
>3. Install the updates manually via Windows/Microsoft Update website.
>Understand that by doing so, you're pushing all the other Automatic Updates
>users further back in the queue (which may explain, at least in part, why
>Automatic Updates hasn't brought them in for you yet).

This same thing has happened to me on 3 different machines, all of
them are clean installs of XP Pro. Prior to these last installations
I always got the updates in what seemed like a predictable order, the
new 3.1 installer first, then the security and system updates... then
the SP3 offer, IE7, etc... this time I got the initial 35 updates
offered, but it immediately disappeared upon completion of the
download. I'm trying to think if I did anything different this
time.... I'm getting more forgeful all the time so may have changed
my routine some... I'm thinking of going back on one of them and after
the install of XP and a antivirus program just doing the updates first
before installing anything else and see if that changes anything. ??

My usual first installs are an AV program (Avast), spybot search &
destroy, adaware, and doing all the cosmetic tweaks for how I like my
systems setup, i.e. desktop options, power setting to always on, auto
update to download and let me decide when to install, then installing
the different apps I like, Ofc Suite 2003, Adobe Reader, Quicktime,
Windows Media player, belarc advisor, etc.

I've done it this way for years, and never so consistently had this
disappearing update shield happen.

My thinking is since the updates have already been downloaded I should
be able to find them somewhere and just manually install them. ?? Is
that correct or not?

I'm just trying to understand why and how this is happening, your
explanation helped a lot, and btw I leave the computers on 24/7

I just last week had 2 machine given to me with win98se on them and my
friends wanted XP installed, and this happened on both of them..

so thought I'd try to see if there was any new info available now on
this issue.

thanks for the info and for taking the time to post.

niteowl

PA Bear [MS MVP]

May 9, 2009, 1:56:32 PM5/9/09
To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.

> This same thing has happened to me on 3 different machines, all of
> them are clean installs of XP Pro.

Aha! Well, I don't think you told us that in your first post.

HOW TO get WinXP SP1 or SP2 fully patched after a clean install
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

HOW TO get WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched after a clean install
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/3f5afa8ed33e121c

niteowl

May 9, 2009, 3:04:02 PM5/9/09
Apparently, the "overloaded server" idea must have been it, this
morning the notification icon appeared and all the updates were listed
as before (on one machine)... I guess it was just really backed up...
all is fine now. Hopefully the other one is okay too.

thanks, patience is a virtue I need to work on I guess. :)

niteowl

On Sat, 9 May 2009 13:56:32 -0400, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"

Barry Schwarz

May 28, 2009, 8:47:59 PM5/28/09
On Fri, 8 May 2009 15:45:34 -0700, "Leythos" <spam99...@rrohio.com>
wrote:

>You need to format your hard drive and reinstall windows.

For the archives, this is a forged post and the advice is bogus.

--
Remove del for email

Barry Schwarz

May 28, 2009, 8:47:59 PM5/28/09
On Sat, 09 May 2009 09:40:36 -0400, niteowl wrote:

>On Fri, 8 May 2009 20:10:45 -0400, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
><PABe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>[Ignore that Lethos spoofer.]

The real Leythos provides decent advice. You only want to ignore the
forger.