Re: Reset Default Windows XP Registry Settings

Doug Sherman [MVP]

Nov 21, 2005, 5:41:48 PM11/21/05
The short answer is No. The registry for any machine will necessarily
include entries that are peculiar to installed hardware drivers and
programs. Accordingly, there is no generic default registry. However, if
you want to perform a clean install with an upgrade CD, you can easily do so
provided you also have a Win2k or other qualifying CD. Simply boot to the
XP CD and select to install Windows without repairing the existing
installation. You will be prompted to insert the qualifying down level CD -
you do not have to actually install the old OS.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"Smurfman" <smur...@news.postalias> wrote in message
> Is there a script that can be run to reset all of the registry settings on
> particular machine? Making the registry as if it was just puchased from
the
> store or freshly installed.
>
> I noticed that during an upgrade from Windows 2000 to Windows XP Pro,
there
> are some registry security settings that do look proper, and some had to
be
> changed to make certain programs work, such as for a smart card.
>
> Basically I want to reset everything as if it were new, a default install,
> and since this is an upgrade I am supposedly not allowed to install the XP
> Upgrade without Windows 2000 installed first? Not sure on that one
though.

> Thanks

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Nov 22, 2005, 1:33:06 AM11/22/05
Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

For your requirement, I agree with our MVP Doug's suggestions. In fact,
there is no way to reset all default registry settings in Windows XP. If
you would like to reset the permission of the whole registry, the following
command tool maybe helpful:

SubInAcl

1. Download and install subinacl from:
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91
-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en>

2. Create a file named reset.cmd in C:\Program Files\Windows Resource
Kits\Tools folder.

3. Edit the reset.cmd file with the following content.

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

4. Enter into CMD prompt.

5. Enter the following commands one at a time and click Enter.

cd\
cd "C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
reset.cmd

6. After a few minutes by processing subinacl, the permission will be reset.

Hope that helps!

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <smur...@news.postalias>
| Subject: Reset Default Windows XP Registry Settings
| Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:08:02 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Plato

Nov 22, 2005, 2:03:13 AM11/22/05
=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?= wrote:

> Is there a script that can be run to reset all of the registry settings on a
> particular machine? Making the registry as if it was just puchased from the
> store or freshly installed.

NO such puppy exists.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/