XP will not shutdown from the start menu!

James

May 11, 2004, 12:30:48 PM5/11/04
My computer was working fine before I updated Windows XP
with all the new downloads from Microsoft (Service Pack
1&2, etc.). Ever since that I have I have had problems
turning off or restarting the system. When I go to turn
off or restart the computer I click on the Start menu,
then I click on the turn off the computer then on the turn
off or restart buttons. Instead of the computer
performing the task that was clicked on it goes right back
to the desktop. The only way I can shut down is to log
off, go back to the logon screen and then click on the
turn off the computer button on that screen. Has anybody
had this problem or know of a fix.
Thanks.

Tumbleweed

May 11, 2004, 1:14:08 PM5/11/04

"James" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> My computer was working fine before I updated Windows XP
> with all the new downloads from Microsoft (Service Pack
> 1&2, etc.).

Did you really download SP2?

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Lance

Oct 18, 2004, 7:33:02 PM10/18/04
James,

I am experiencing the same problem after a power outage. I have tried
system restore and upgrade installation and installing SP2. None of these
things have corrected the problem. Did you ever find a solution?

Lance

Rock

Oct 19, 2004, 12:52:26 AM10/19/04
Lance wrote:

Why do you think someone who last posted five months ago is still
monitoring the thread? Post a new message with your question.

Kelly

Oct 19, 2004, 1:00:04 AM10/19/04
Hi Lance,

Power outages have their own issues at times. In the meantime, see if any
of this helps:

Disable everything that reads 'Wake up' in the BIOS settings. Also, I have
seen this behavior if you have a CD/DVD in the drive during a shutdown.

Power the Computer Off or Reboot After Shutdown

This edit controls whether Windows should automatically power down or reboot
your computer once it has finished the shutdown process.

Power Off or Reboot After Shutdown (Line 76)

User Profile Hive Cleanup Service (Line 36) Right hand side

This edit automatically ends tasks and timeouts that prevent programs from
shutting down and clears the Paging File on Exit.

Auto End Tasks to Enable a Proper Shutdown (Line 76)

Shutdown.Exe - Andrej Budja (Line 52)

Enable Monitor Power-off on Logon Screen (Line 160)

This edit allows you to configure Windows so that you receive verbose
startup, shutdown, logon, and logoff status messages. This may be helpful to
in troubleshooting slow startup, shutdown, logon, or logoff behavior.

Startup/Shutdown/Logon/Logoff Status Messages (Line 69)

View Log Events by Code or List or Clear (Line 126)

You May Not Be Able to Shut Down Your Windows XP Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;320008

Win XP Restarts Unexpectedly or Restarts When You Shut Down
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q320299

Windows XP Restarts When You Try to Shut Down Your Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q311806

--
All the Best,
Kelly