Free disk space does not increase when deleting files

alegator

Nov 20, 2004, 11:37:00 PM11/20/04
I have a serious problem. Whenever I delete a file the free disk space does
not increase. For example, I had 80Gb free space as reported by MY COMPUTER.
I deleted a 4Gb file, I should have then 84Gb free, right? Instead, I still
had 80Gb free AFTER deleting the file.
I noticed this problem many times since about a month ago. I always
refreshed, rebooted, did a disk cleanup (deleted temporary files, etc),
scanned for virus and spyware (everything Ok), keep my disk defragmented at
all times, and on top of it I have all writing programs disabled, like system
restore which is turned off. Eventually what happened was that the drive
would run out of space since it would continually increase in size and
deleting files would not claim back any space at all.
So I now deleted all partitions, formatted and reinstalled Windows XP Pro
SP2 cleanly, and now the problem arises again!!!!!
Does anyone know a fix to this or explain what's happening??
Thanks.

Richard Urban

Nov 20, 2004, 11:54:03 PM11/20/04
Empty the Norton Protected Recycle Bin.

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"alegator" <aleg...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Kelly

Nov 21, 2004, 12:05:25 AM11/21/04

Some info that may help:

How to Locate and Correct Disk Space Problems on NTFS Volumes in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315688

Windows XP Does Not Recognize All Available Disk Space
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-gb;316505&ln=en-gb

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

alegator

Nov 21, 2004, 12:21:01 AM11/21/04
Richard, THANKS SO MUCHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! That solved it! Now I claimed back
almost 6Gb of disk space which before I never new where it went! I will
disable Norton protected bin immediately!!!!

Kelly

Nov 21, 2004, 2:58:32 AM11/21/04
Missed the Norton mention. :o(
No I didn't, where was that mentioned! Either way, glad you have it sorted.

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"alegator" <aleg...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Plato

Nov 21, 2004, 3:48:52 AM11/21/04
Kelly wrote:

> Missed the Norton mention. :o(

It was inbetween the lines :)

Richard Urban

Nov 21, 2004, 6:45:11 AM11/21/04
No you didn't. I just made the assumption because I have run into this soooo
many times before!

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Kelly" <ke...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Richard Urban

Nov 21, 2004, 6:47:59 AM11/21/04
No need to disable Norton Protected Recycle Bin. It's purpose is to catch
way more than the standard recycle bin. Without it you may find some things
gone missing, when you have a need to recover them. Just change it's default
behaviors. Set time to hold to 2 days instead of 7 days, or reserved disk
space to 1%, instead of 10%. (-:

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

Adamskii

Nov 21, 2004, 1:47:56 PM11/21/04
"Kelly" <ke...@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<ug1Bm$5zEHA...@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> Missed the Norton mention. :o(
> No I didn't, where was that mentioned! Either way, glad you have it sorted.
>
> --
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)

It's a good point, how *did* you know he had a "Norton Protected Recycle Bin"!?

Adamskii

Plato

Nov 21, 2004, 4:02:43 PM11/21/04
Adamskii wrote:

> It's a good point, how *did* you know he had a "Norton Protected Recycle Bin"!?

Because 90% of the time folks ask that question they got the full
nortons running 24/7

Kelly

Nov 22, 2004, 3:02:13 AM11/22/04
My bad.....just when I was thinking I could do that and well!!! :o)

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message

dgerspacher

May 6, 2005, 4:22:04 PM5/6/05
Where is the Norton Protected recycle bin????? I am willing to try anything
short of reinstalling..