Windows XP CMOS settings

Shane

Apr 2, 2003, 12:07:42 AM4/2/03
I have Windows XP home edition and I am wondering how I
access the CMOS settings. I wasn't sure because there is
no actual dos loading screen or anything that tells you
how to enter the CMOS.

Thanks,
Shane

Michael Stevens

Apr 2, 2003, 12:15:48 AM4/2/03

"Shane" <sikl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

You do it the same as with any OS. You press a key or key combination at
boot up.

Accessing BIOS.
http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP Windows XP
http://michaelstevenstech.com

Bill James

Apr 2, 2003, 12:15:35 AM4/2/03
CMOS/BIOS is not a function of XP. Go to the website of the original
manufacturer of your computer or motherboard to find out how to get into
BIOS. Generally it is a key press or combination of keys as the
computer is first starting to boot.

--

Bill James
Microsoft MVP·DTS

Win9x VBScript Utilities » www.billsway.com/vbspage/
Windows Tweaks & Tips » www.billsway.com/notes_public/

Dee

Apr 2, 2003, 8:22:36 AM4/2/03
Hello...
Do you know what type of BIOS you have? Award for instance?
Usually after you boot your system, if the beginning black screen shows,
this will tell you the type of BIOS and what key to enter for setup. On
many computers you hit the del key on the keyboard and the setup menu or
BIOS info will appear.
You can download for free Belarc Advisor:
http://www.belarc.com/ba5.html?Download.com
Once installed, it will give you all sorts of information about your
system including what type of BIOS.
Try it. Pages can then be printed up for your own benefit in case you
ever need to have in front of you all info on your system including
hardware, operating system, etc....
Another good program is:
Aida32:
http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html
This is a very thorough system benchmark utility...a click on each
button gives you tons of information about your computer.
Both Programs are free.
Take Care...
Dee
P.S. If you are not sure how to get into the BIOS, be extremely careful
in this area. If you go changing settings around and really not be sure
of what you are doing in there, this could have extreme adverse effects
on your system.

Shane wrote:

--
...Say not, "I have found the truth," but rather, "I have found a
truth."

andre

Apr 2, 2003, 2:45:43 PM4/2/03
Part of the problem, may I presume, is that XP loads TOO FAST! Especially on
a current fast machine - those old legacy BIOS screen are gone in no time.
And no combination of Function-keys and safe-mode will bring them back or
pause them.

I needed to get my BIOS version info recently - impossible to be read in
that .1 milli second that it's displayed. That's progress for ya.

I understand that Intel (and Microsoft) want them (BIOS screens) to go away.

$0.02
Andre

"Bill James" <wgj...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Ken Blake

Apr 2, 2003, 3:27:07 PM4/2/03
In 000c01c2f8d5$c9ff7600$3301...@phx.gbl, Shane wrote:

> I have Windows XP home edition and I am wondering how I
> access the CMOS settings.

Your question has nothing to do with Windows XP. In fact, you
have to access the CMOS setup screen *before* your operating
system even begins to boot.

How to do this depends, not on your operating system, but on what
motherboard/BIOS you have.

> I wasn't sure because there is
> no actual dos loading screen or anything that tells you
> how to enter the CMOS.

You often (but not always) have a screen (it comes from the BIOS,
not from DOS either) telling you to do this when you first power
on. If you don't see one, try pressing the del key (the most
common, but not the only key) repeatedly when you first power on.
If that doesn't work, you'll need to check the system
documentation or check with the computer or motherboard
manufacturer.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup