installing fonts without administrative rights

Werner Pertl

Mar 14, 2005, 5:28:03 AM3/14/05
hi there!
does anyone have a hint for me, how i can grant a user without any
administrative rights, to install his own fonts on a windows xp prof.
machine?
thank you very much in advance!
werner

Jason Tan (MSFT)

Mar 15, 2005, 3:21:44 AM3/15/05
Hi Werner,

Thanks for posting!

I understand that you want to grant a user without any administrative right
to install fonts on a machine running Windows XP professional. If I have
misunderstood your concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Based on my research, I am afraid that you are unable to achieve that goal.
By design, the user account has no rights to perform some installation. It
depends on which registry key it will access when installation. If it needs
to access or revise some registry key which is has no permission to access
or revise, the installation will be denied.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Werner Pertl

Mar 15, 2005, 10:22:54 AM3/15/05
Hi Jason,
thanks for your answer.
Is it possible to give a group of users permission to access the registry
keys that
they need to install fonts and if yes, which permissions do i have to
modify.
Thanks again
Werner

"Jason Tan (MSFT)" <v-ja...@online.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Jason Tan (MSFT)

Mar 16, 2005, 5:13:27 AM3/16/05
Hi Werner,

Thanks for reply!

Based on my research, I would like to provide you with the following
suggestion for your reference:

Step 1: Grant users permission to access related registry.
1. Click Start, Click Run, type regedit (without quotation mark), navigate
the following key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts

2. Grant users Full Control permission for this key.

3. Close Registry Editor.

Step 2: Grant users permission to access the Fonts Folder.

Grant users Full Control permission for the Fonts folder located in
%systemdrive%\windows\

I hope my information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please

feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Werner Pertl

Mar 21, 2005, 5:35:53 AM3/21/05
Hi Jason,
thanks for your answer.

Had to grant the user also permissions to the key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Type 1
Installer

Now everything works well!

Thanks again!
Werner

"Jason Tan (MSFT)" <v-ja...@online.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Jason Tan (MSFT)

Mar 21, 2005, 9:01:12 PM3/21/05
Hi Werner,

Thanks for update!

I am glad to hear that you have solved the issue and the additional
feedback on how you have solved the issue. If I have any other question or
concerns, please fell free to let us know.