Uninstall Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157)

Pseu

Aug 8, 2008, 7:59:01 AM8/8/08
Hello,

I want to uninstall Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157) but it does
not appear in Add/Remove, how do I completely remove it?

I shall thank everybody in advance for any help.

Regards,

Pseu

Nepatsfan

Aug 8, 2008, 9:21:08 AM8/8/08
"Pseu" <Ps...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

One option would be to install Windows Search again to see if an entry is added
to the list in Add or Remove Programs.

You could also look in your C:\Windows folder for a folder named
$NtUninstallKB940157$. Open this folder and look for a folder named spuninst.
Within the spuninst folder you should find a file named spuninst.exe. Running
this file should manually uninstall Windows Search. Note: You need to have
configured Windows to display hidden file and folders through the Folder Options
applet in Control Panel in order to see the $NtUninstallKB940157$ folder.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Pseu

Aug 8, 2008, 6:03:01 PM8/8/08
Hello Nepatsfan,

The folder named $NtUninstallKB940157$ is not present in C:\WINDOWS. After
checking C:\WINDOWS, I reinstalled Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP
(KB940157) and rebooted. Unfortunately, it still does not show in Add/Remove
or in C:\WINDOWS. Windows Search 4.0 still functions okay. Do you have any
other suggestions?

Regards,

Pseu.

Nepatsfan

Aug 8, 2008, 7:18:33 PM8/8/08
First off, in Control Panel -> Folder Options, is "Show hidden files and
folders" selected in the Advanced settings box on the View page?

If it is and you still can't find the $NtUninstallKB940157$ folder, let's see if
the following helps.

Go to Start and click on Run.
In the Run box, enter regedit.exe.
In the Registry editor, click on the + signs in the left hand pane to navigate
to the following registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KB940157

Right click on this key and select Delete from the menu.

Do the same for this key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB940157

Once you deleted these two keys, close the registry editor. Next, reinstall
Windows Search 4.0. Check in Add or Remove programs to see if it is now listed.
If not, look for the $NtUninstallKB940157$ folder in C:\Windows.

Note: It's a good idea to create a restore point before editing the registry.
System Restore can be launched from the Start menu through All Programs ->
Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore.

Note: Post back if you're not comfortable editing the registry.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

"Pseu" <Ps...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ed.

Aug 8, 2008, 11:17:20 PM8/8/08
In Add/Remove Programs do you have to go to the top and put a check in to
show updates in order for Windows Search 4.0 to show in Add/Remove Programs?

Daniell

Aug 10, 2008, 4:11:36 PM8/10/08
That was a success.

Thanks!

Nepatsfan

Aug 10, 2008, 6:33:31 PM8/10/08
"Daniell" <daniellr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> That was a success.
>
> Thanks!

You're welcome.

Nepatsfan

Pseu

Aug 13, 2008, 4:42:10 AM8/13/08
Hi Nepatsfan,

When I followed your instructions clearly for a second time everything
worked, thank you.

Regards,

Pseu

Nepatsfan

Aug 13, 2008, 8:30:42 AM8/13/08
You're welcome. Thanks for letting us know you were able to uninstall Windows
Search.

Nepatsfan

"Pseu" <Ps...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Mikatoga

Jan 2, 2009, 8:51:01 PM1/2/09
Many thanks! I have found that Windows Search takes forever to index and
really slows down my PC. I'm perfectly happy with Google Search and so don't
need it anyway. I followed your instructions and uninstalled Search. I
appreciate that there are helpful people like yourself to bail out us
dummies. Happy New Year!

gwoodall

Feb 1, 2009, 7:36:01 PM2/1/09
Nepatsfan:
I would like to uninstall Windows Search 4.0 also, and it does show up in
the Add/Remove programs. However, when I attempt to remove it I get an
intimidating note that says other programs on my computer may depend on
Windows Search and may not work properly if Windows Search is removed." Is
this true or can I remove it without any concern that other programs will be
damaged. wooda...@msn.com.
gwoodall

@discussions.microsoft.com <<F3>

Feb 22, 2009, 8:46:00 AM2/22/09
Thank god I got rid of that )&*&)^(^%%$ piece if sotware

KIRAN

Mar 18, 2009, 8:35:04 AM3/18/09
THANKS FOR GIVING THE PROPER SOLUTION..
IT WORKES VERY WELL..
THANKS..

Spannerz

May 5, 2009, 6:17:01 AM5/5/09
Hey (know this is old) followed your tutorial to get rid of this
-pain-in-the-&^%@#$- software from MS - downloaded it thinking it was good -
made my laptop take another 5 mins logging in & booting - im happy with the
one that comes with my computer (classic-looking one) and my computer runs &
boots fine now! Good karma at you!!! Cheers!!!

hda

May 9, 2009, 3:18:01 PM5/9/09
Thank You.

Paultx

May 21, 2009, 2:06:09 PM5/21/09
Here's my case. I have WDS 4.0 in the 'Add/Remove programs' list. I have the
$NtUninstallKB940157$ folder in Windows, but I can't open it to check if
spuninst.exe is there, 'cause I don't have administrative rights.

Strange here is that I click 'Remove' in 'Add/Remove programs' and get a
warning saying something like this (original language is Brazilian
Portuguese):

Uninstallation error
Error when trying to remove Windows Search 4.0. It maybe already
uninstalled. Do you want to remove Windows Search 4.0 from the 'Add/Remove
programs' list?

Any idea?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

May 21, 2009, 11:12:13 PM5/21/09
Post here instead, please:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdesktopsearchhelp/threads
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Nexx

May 25, 2009, 8:26:00 PM5/25/09
Thanks a lot!!!! You steps worked great!

Michel Merlin

Aug 10, 2009, 12:48:45 PM8/10/09
"Paultx", alias "Nexx", wrote Tue 26 May "Thanks a lot!!!! You steps worked great!".

So, please "PA Bear [MS MVP]", could you post, here on the MS Newsgroup (so that it gets propagated into the other images of the thread), a more precise link to (or at least a copy of) the solution? TIA,

Versailles, Mon 10 Aug 2009 18:48:45 +0200

----- Thread ("news://" links are clickable in OE) -----
Newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
More persistent Image: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/d09371562abae89a

----- Intermediate Message ("news://" links are clickable in OE) -----
Thanks a lot!!!! You steps worked great!

----- Parent Message ("news://" links are clickable in OE) -----
Sep 29, 2009, 12:17:01 PM9/29/09

Hi Nepatsfan.. good day.

I am on the same issue.. couldn't run the win search 4.0 indexing in
Outlook 2007 or in the desktop..

I want to remove the Windows Search 4.0 but couldnt..

I followed your instructions and stoped on the follwoing:

1- I couldnt find this after reinstalling the windows search 2.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB940157

2- I cannot find :

$NtUninstallKB940157$ folder in C:\Windows.

I reinstalled again the windows search 4.0 again but same things ..

if you want i can send you a couple of screen shots of some strange errors I
have regarding the windows search.

hence,
*I have win XP Pro.
*Hidden Files are viewed.
*I tried before and after the reinstalling d win search.

this issue appeared when i updated the latest windows live essential.--(has
a problem..i couldnt save the email or password for the nex log in to the
messenger)

in outlook search indexing - search ooptions .. cannot check or select..
error message says "a problem was encountered while trying to change which
data files to index..)

thanks and regards,

mahi

Oct 6, 2009, 3:57:01 AM10/6/09
Great!!!. This worked for me.

iscoord

Oct 19, 2009, 4:49:19 PM10/19/09

iscoord

Oct 19, 2009, 4:51:17 PM10/19/09
Sorry for the blank reply, what I really meant to say (LOL) is I followed the
instructions because a user was getting a prompt saying Windows Search 4.0
not installed or requires updates after the application was removed. I
verified in all steps below that the KB940157 was not available for
uninstall, and did not show in either registry key. Is there a registry edit
to remove this nonsense prompt once the program has been uninstalled?

Ferdi

Mar 10, 2010, 4:08:01 AM3/10/10
Thank you!

I've been trying so hard just for something that worked.

Chief@discussions.microsoft.com Master Chief

May 7, 2010, 10:12:05 AM5/7/10
It WORKS!!!

Vin

Jun 14, 2010, 11:26:54 AM6/14/10
Thank you Nepatsfan, this was really useful.
I am not surprised to see so many people want to uninstall this piece. I
hope Micorsoft is listening.

Bickford Schmeckler

Jun 14, 2010, 11:34:41 AM6/14/10
MS is not listening, especially since they're killing this nttp newsgroup
from their servers.

And, since it's a peer-to-peer newsgroup, they never listened.

"Vin" <V...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: Thank you Nepatsfan, this was really useful.

Eldorado

Jul 13, 2010, 5:30:53 AM7/13/10
works well ,

Thanks from IT TEAM DORIS

RG

Aug 20, 2010, 9:32:03 AM8/20/10

Thanks, I got rid of that heavy search index.

slamradio

Aug 25, 2010, 7:07:03 PM8/25/10
u da' man! thank you very much :)

mal...@aol.com

Oct 5, 2013, 11:23:52 AM10/5/13
Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! That software only made my computer so slow. It kept saying that it was already installed and did I want to remove it from installed programs in the Add or Remove Program list. What a nightmare. I am tired of this sneaky way that the get you to install programs and then when it makes your computer like wading through mud it is impossible to uninstall! It also installed the software on my external drive, which I didn't request. Thank you for your great instructions!!!