My XP NIGHTMARE!

Oct 30, 2001, 7:25:30 PM10/30/01
I started out wanting to UPGRADE to XP Pro, i started at 4:30 and finished
at....8pm! in this time i had to end up reformating my hard drive losing all
data!!

Anyway, that didnt bother me

After it installed i tried to connect to the net for Windows Update, My
Modem (WITH XP DRIVER) Would not work! i tryed the Window standard drivers,
but didnt work.

I am now back using WIN 98 FOR GOOD!

XP SUCKS BIG TIME

Steven Lyall

Oct 30, 2001, 7:49:02 PM10/30/01
I found that the XP setup changed the modem in my connection from the ISDN
one to the analogue one. I couldn't get connected till I changed it back.

Steven

"L" <mark_la...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

darren

Oct 30, 2001, 8:02:59 PM10/30/01
At least you have that option. I unfortunately bought a
system pre-loaded. Wish I could roll back the clock. A
$1000 bucks paid to deal with this.
>.

darren

Oct 30, 2001, 8:03:15 PM10/30/01
At least you have that option. I unfortunately bought a
system pre-loaded. Wish I could roll back the clock. A
$1000 bucks paid to deal with this.

Oct 31, 2001, 6:58:48 AM10/31/01

EAPoe

Oct 31, 2001, 7:10:30 AM10/31/01
Dont give up so easy! Wipe the hd and do a clean install.

"L" <mark_la...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

John Greenhalgh

Oct 31, 2001, 8:34:54 AM10/31/01
I'm sympathising with you..

I'm in the middle of the process myself, I've installed
the upgrade on a standard PC, it has hung without
completing. I've no operating system now, I'm in he
process of getting rid of XP and back to 98. I don't
particularly want to have to reformat the hard drive but
who knows...

XP SUCKS BIG TIME ...

Best wishes
JG

>.

smoke

Oct 31, 2001, 9:14:55 AM10/31/01
I agree,

XP isn`t any good when you upgrade, but a clean install
works ok, it even detects my video and soundcards with
almost the latest drivers(it had detonater 12 when i just
downloaded detonater 11 )

win.server.ntlworld.com...

>> I started out wanting to UPGRADE to XP Pro, i started
at 4:30 and finished
>> at....8pm! in this time i had to end up reformating my
hard drive losing
>> all
>> data!!
>>
>> Anyway, that didnt bother me
>>
>> After it installed i tried to connect to the net for
Windows Update, My
>> Modem (WITH XP DRIVER) Would not work! i tryed the
Window standard
>drivers,
>> but didnt work.
>>
>> I am now back using WIN 98 FOR GOOD!
>>
>> XP SUCKS BIG TIME
>>

>.

Mark

Oct 31, 2001, 8:54:56 AM10/31/01
Mate, your best sticking with Win 98, im going to try and upgrade to Win ME

Win XP stable?????? MY ARSE!!!

Mark

Oct 31, 2001, 9:02:18 AM10/31/01
Mate, your best sticking with Win 98, im going to try and upgrade to Win ME

Win XP stable?????? MY ARSE!!!

John Greenhalgh <johngree...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Stan

Oct 31, 2001, 10:09:52 AM10/31/01
My biggest problem was my internet connection, couldn't connect.

AT&T @home tech support I would have to switch from USB Ethernet Adapter to
NIC card because the original @home adapter was outmoded, as it turned out
tech that came to the house installed a new Adaptec 10/100 USB Ethernet
Adapter. now the system flies.

I did an upgrade, other then the Internet connection had to reinstall SBLive
5.1 & SB Annihilator video card software. Two items need fixing, Logitech
Wingman Joystick, and SBWeb cam 3. Can't seem to get them working, but
system is stable installation was long but smooth and no crashes even some
programs I've had for years respond without a hiccup.

Stan

cosh65

Oct 31, 2001, 10:37:23 AM10/31/01
Did you check compatibility requirments??
None of you say what equipment you have.

"Mark" <mark_la...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Paul Moreland

Oct 31, 2001, 10:39:28 AM10/31/01
Windows ME aint much better, my advise stick to Win98SE.
>.

Richard

Oct 31, 2001, 12:49:03 PM10/31/01
Don't give up. Since you've already lost your data, you have nothing to
lose pushing forward. XP really is wonderful. Fast and stable. No more
crashes. Yea there is hardware and software out there that cause hiccups.
Check the manufacturers web sites for updates. If they don't have patches
or upgrades for XP, dump 'em and go with a company that supports their
products.

Steven Whatley

Oct 31, 2001, 1:09:17 PM10/31/01
cosh65 <cos...@home.com> wrote:
> Did you check compatibility requirments??
> None of you say what equipment you have.

I was going to wait six months before upgrading so drivers have time to come
out and stablelize. But I found out my hardware had dcrivers so I went
ahead and did it. So far, so good. Now, give me a week and I may back here
with a different story. ;)

Later,
Steven

Bryan Kennedy

Oct 31, 2001, 1:17:07 PM10/31/01
I think he already accomplished that when he said... "in this time i had to

end up reformating my hard drive losing
all data!!

"EAPoe" <run...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Bryan Kennedy

Oct 31, 2001, 1:18:42 PM10/31/01
Really... people just go ahead and install it on a 486 and whatever and
expect it to work, then turn around and call the OS crap. Maybe it's their
computer that sucks big time.

"cosh65" <cos...@home.com> wrote in message

Tbuzzard

Oct 31, 2001, 2:40:43 PM10/31/01

Yeah. I am about to do that with Roxio. Tomorrow will be
one week that XP has been available at retail and over a
month pre-installed and Roxio has not come out with an XP
upgrade for EZ Cd Creator Platinum! Nero and Clone CD are
looking better and better to me right now.

David A. Spicer

Oct 31, 2001, 3:16:09 PM10/31/01
Bingo! All of my hardware is on the list and XP installs and runs
beautifully. Here is the list for those that don't have it:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/whql/hcl/winxphclx86.txt

--
David A. Spicer
www.ds96427.50megs.com

Proconsul

Oct 31, 2001, 5:32:47 PM10/31/01
EZ CD Creator Platinum works just fine with XP the way it is - just don't
install "Take Two" or "Direct CD"....

The patch will, no doubt, resolve the "Direct CD" problem, but "Take Two" is
dead, forget about it....

PC

"Tbuzzard" <weg...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Kelvin

Nov 1, 2001, 6:11:27 AM11/1/01
The first newbie clue here, that this person should not be fumbling around
with a new OS and dangerous things like formatting, is that they didn't
bother to back up their important data that they didn't want to lose before
wiping their hard drive. And it's amazing how many people blame MS for what
can generally be attributed to as user error or bad third party
software/drivers. Yes, this user blames the built in XP drivers. But the
power user assumes the former.
--
Best Regards,
Kelvin