Folder read only attribute

已查看 0 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Dirk

未读,
2002年4月1日 20:20:032002/4/1
收件人
I ran into something last night where I tried to rename a
folder and Explorer wouldn't let me because the folder was
set to read only. I tried to change the attribute but,
even though it looked like it worked, I still could not
change the name. I tried a couple of different things
which didn't seem to work. I then noticed that all the
folders seem to be set to read only -- at least the read
only attribute on the properties window for a folder is
filled in with a green box (as opposed to a green check

I started trying to change folders higher in the tree and
told it to include subfolders, I tried clicking Apply
rather than OK, etc. At some point the change took and I
can now rename the folder (but I am not sure what did
it). The folder's read only attribute is still filled in
though!

Couple of questions:

1. What is the significance of the filled in check box as
opposed to just a check mark.
2. Anyone know why all folders are showing read only?
3. Anyone have a clue as to what is going on or what I may
be doing wrong?

By the way, the system is running XP Home and is not
attached to a domain.

To respond to the email, remove the "nospam."

Thanks,
dirk

Michael S.

未读,
2002年4月1日 21:31:472002/4/1
收件人
There is a bug with the read only attribute but I know enough about it to
describe it here. Nonetheless, the issue you describe is one of ownership
and without you telling me, based on the fact you are having this issue,
your system must be set up NTFS as opposed to FAT32.

Unfortunately, in XP Home, you cannot take ownership at system level.
You'll have to go into Safe Mode.

Reboot, and start hitting F8, a menu should eventually appear and one of the
options is Safe Mode. Select it. Note, it will ask for the administrator's
password. This is not your administrator account, rather it is the
machine's administrator account for which users are asked to create a
password during setup.

If you created no such password, when requested, leave blank and press
enter.

Open Explorer, go to Tools and Folder Options, on the view tab, scroll to
the bottom of the list, if it shows "Enable Simple File Sharing" deselect it
and click apply and ok. If it shows nothing or won't let you make a change,
move on to the next step.

Navigate to the files, right click, select properties, go to the Security
tab, click advanced, go to the Owner tab and select the user that was logged
on when you were refused permission to access the files. Click apply and
ok. Close the properties box, reopen it, click add and type in the name of
the user you just enabled.

Once complete, you should be able to do what you wish with these files when
you log back on as that user.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP Windows XP
Microsoft MVP Program: http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/program.asp

"Dirk" <dth...@nospam.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Dirk

未读,
2002年4月1日 23:20:382002/4/1
收件人
Michael,

Thanks much!!

It sure would be nice if Gateway's customer support new
about these kind of things! There response was that
changing the attributes would be a customization and they
don't support that!!

dirk

>.

Michael S.

未读,
2002年4月2日 01:37:052002/4/2
收件人
You're welcome, Dirk.

I certainly agree with you though I guess, making this kind of change in
Safe Mode would fall into that category.

My experience is that PC manufacturers are wary of straying too far from any
changes that can't be made at system level. They're not going to give you a
registry hack; neither will I for the most part but Microsoft has
recommended OEMs ship their systems with hard drives formatted with NTFS as
opposed to FAT32. Unfortunately for XP Home users, the reduced security set
in Home creates a bit of a "Catch 22" of the type into which you ran if your
system is using NTFS.

Fortunately, enough of us have run into it both during the beta and since
the product began shipping that we've been able to help.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP Windows XP
Microsoft MVP Program: http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/program.asp
Associate Expert

"Dirk" <dth...@nospam.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Ilya Zeldes

未读,
2002年4月19日 00:09:092002/4/19
收件人
Michael,
I'm having exactly the same problem as Dirk described. However, I am the
only user and I checked my machine and found that I have File System NTFS.
Should I go through all your suggestions and reboot to Safe mode etc.? Or I
should do something different?
Thanks for your help.
Ilya Zeldes
Fort Myers, Florida