I have a problem with my CD-RW and my DVD.

Samanosuke_01

Nov 14, 2004, 2:50:01 PM11/14/04
I am having a problem with my CD-RW and my DVD, they don't work. The drivers
don't show up in "My Computer" and don't play anything at all. I have tried
to update my drivers but this comes up...

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration
information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

Somebody PLEASE help me.

Wesley Vogel

Nov 14, 2004, 2:59:58 PM11/14/04
Start the troubleshooting wizard.

Error Code: 19

Display Message:
[[Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration

information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged.

To fix this problem you can first try running a troubleshooting wizard. If
that does not work, you should uninstall and then reinstall the hardware
device. (Code 19)]]

Recommended Resolution:
[[A registry problem was detected.
This can occur when more than one service is defined for a device, if there
is a failure opening the service subkey, or if the driver name cannot be
obtained from the service subkey. Try these options:

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the
troubleshooting wizard.

Click Uninstall, and then click Scan for hardware changes to load a usable
driver.

Restart the computer in Safe Mode, and then select Last Known Good
Configuration,which rolls back to the most recent successful registry
configuration.

As a last resort, you can edit the registry directly. For more information,
see the Registry Reference in the Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit
at http://www.microsoft.com/reskit ]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:B43E5B63-79C2-4883...@microsoft.com,
Samanosuke_01 <Samano...@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

Samanosuke_01

Nov 14, 2004, 3:11:01 PM11/14/04

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

I don't even know HOW to put it in Safe mode, I have tried to figere it out,
but haven't.

Samanosuke_01

Nov 14, 2004, 3:40:02 PM11/14/04

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

Well, it didn't work, and that link that you gave me doesn't also.

Wesley Vogel

Nov 14, 2004, 7:43:05 PM11/14/04
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=61#winxo

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:F9897458-303D-4B1F...@microsoft.com,

Alex Nichol

Nov 15, 2004, 7:29:10 AM11/15/04
Samanosuke_01 wrote:

>I am having a problem with my CD-RW and my DVD, they don't work. The drivers
>don't show up in "My Computer" and don't play anything at all. I have tried
>to update my drivers but this comes up...
>
>Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration
>information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

This may happen if a driver-type file, probably for CD burning software,
has gone AWOL. It leaves a reference in the registry, and boot when it
does not find the file fails in this way. To tidy up, get a registry
patch file, cdgone.reg, from www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip, extract
it, r-click on it and merge it into the registry

You will then need to reinstall any burning software that you *do* use.

Bournemouth, U.K. Al...@mvps.D8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)