NEED SOME HELP PLEASE!

24ggirl

Apr 29, 2010, 6:50:01 AM4/29/10
I have this Dell desktop computer with Windows XP professional on there and
was just wondering if you can please tell me where I would look to find the
key code. I always wondered where it would be stored on a computer. Would
that be stored in the registry and if so how would I get to it? Thank you!

olfart

Apr 29, 2010, 7:59:07 AM4/29/10

"24ggirl" <24g...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

There should be a sticker on the outside of the computer case showing the
key. or
download and install Belarc Advisor from
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html and run it

Bob I

Apr 29, 2010, 8:41:43 AM4/29/10
Unless she installed with a generic OEM cd, Belarc will give the wrong key.

Daave

Apr 29, 2010, 10:36:31 AM4/29/10

Dells come with two product keys:

-- a unique one that represents your license which can be found on your
Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker, which is probably on the side
of your desktop PC

-- and a generic one that is found on both the Dell-branded XP
installation CD that may have come with your PC *and* on your hard drive
if use a program like Belarc Advisor of Magical Jellybean Finder.

If you reinstall XP on your Dell *and* use the Dell-branded installation
CD, there is no need to enter a Product Key at all because of the
System-Locked Preinstallation (SLP) method that is used.

Bernd

Apr 29, 2010, 10:46:18 AM4/29/10

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Use Produkey:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Bernd

Bob I

Apr 29, 2010, 11:23:52 AM4/29/10

Bernd wrote:

That will have the same issue as Belarc.

24ggirl

Apr 30, 2010, 6:56:01 AM4/30/10
OK, lets say for instance that I want to see if what matches on the sticker
is the same as whats in my computer, and besides the download here you got me
to do, which by the way did show me something different, can you please tell
me where I would look in my computer for this key code if I didn't want to
download this tool even though I did. Would I look in the registry and if so
where? I promise you I'm not trying to be complicated, difficult or anything
like that. Just trying to learn something a little bit different here.
Knowledge is power. Thank you.

"olfart" wrote:

> .

24ggirl

Apr 30, 2010, 6:58:01 AM4/30/10
Please bear with me as I wait for olfart to reply to me. Thanks.

"Bob I" wrote:

> .

24ggirl

Apr 30, 2010, 6:59:01 AM4/30/10
Thanks for this. I'll let you know if I need anything else. Appreciate it.

"Daave" wrote:

> .

24ggirl

Apr 30, 2010, 7:02:01 AM4/30/10
I'm waiting on a reply from this company to tell me which version I need to
download and use because I don't know if I have the X64 version or the
regular version in my computer.

"Bernd" wrote:

> .

24ggirl

Apr 30, 2010, 7:04:03 AM4/30/10

When I do download it and run it I'll let you know if it has the sams issue
as Belarc.

"Bob I" wrote:

> .

Doum

Apr 30, 2010, 5:26:50 PM4/30/10
=?Utf-8?B?MjRnZ2lybA==?= <24g...@discussions.microsoft.com> �crivait

If you bought this computer new and didn't specify you wanted the 64 bits
version, you have 99.9% chances thats it's the 32 bits version.

I visited the above site and they claim that the 32 bits will work with any version
of Windows.

Bernd

Apr 30, 2010, 5:31:59 PM4/30/10

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> I'm waiting on a reply from this company to tell me which version I need to
> download and use because I don't know if I have the X64 version or the
> regular version in my computer.

32/64 ?

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/03/19/how-to-check-if-windows-vista-xp-and-2003-system-is-32-bit-or-64-bit-x86-or-x64-version/

Bernd

24ggirl

May 1, 2010, 5:22:01 AM5/1/10
I'll ask you again, can you please tell me where I would look for the key
code manually in my computer?

"olfart" wrote:

> .

24ggirl

May 1, 2010, 5:25:01 AM5/1/10

My virus program is preventing me from using this tool.

"Bernd" wrote:

> .

24ggirl

May 1, 2010, 5:25:01 AM5/1/10

Do you happen to know where I can look in my computer for the key code
manually besides the sticker that's on there. Is it in the registry and if so
how do I get to it and look at it myself?

24ggirl

May 1, 2010, 5:27:01 AM5/1/10
My virus program is preventing me from using this tool.

24ggirl

May 1, 2010, 5:28:02 AM5/1/10

"Doum" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?MjRnZ2lybA==?= <24g...@discussions.microsoft.com> écrivait

> .

24ggirl

May 1, 2010, 5:28:04 AM5/1/10
What is this?

"Doum" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?MjRnZ2lybA==?= <24g...@discussions.microsoft.com> écrivait

> .

24ggirl

May 1, 2010, 5:29:01 AM5/1/10
It's 32 bit. Thank you for this little find. I now know.

"Bernd" wrote:

> .

Elmo

May 1, 2010, 8:51:46 AM5/1/10

You've been informed that the key in the registry may be different from
the one on your sticker. You can't find the key by running REGEDIT,
because it's encrypted.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/243/xp-find-your-windows-product-id-cd-key-code-in-the-registry/

--
Joe =o)

HeyBub

May 1, 2010, 9:26:39 AM5/1/10
24ggirl wrote:
> My virus program is preventing me from using this tool.

So, DISABLE the virus program!

Geeze, why do I have to think of everything...

Michael

May 1, 2010, 11:04:50 AM5/1/10
You need to repeat this a few more times to match how many times she's
already posted this.

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

"HeyBub" <hey...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Daave

May 1, 2010, 11:44:11 AM5/1/10
It doesn't seem like you read all of my post!

Dells have two types of Product Keys.

The generic Product Key (shared by thousands of other Dells) is the one
that is on your hard drive. If you intend to reinstall Windows and
choose to use a non-Dell XP installation CD, then that product key is of
no use to you. You would have to use the key that is on the COA sticker.
That key will *not* be on your hard drive currently.

However, if you were to reinstall Windows using a non-Dell XP
installation CD, then the key on your sticker will ultimately match the
one on the hard drive.

You cannot view the product key on the hard drive unless you use a
program like Belarc Advisor or Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder. Links:

http://www.belarc.com/

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

If you do not have malware on your PC and if your anti-malware program
is warning you that these programs contain malware, that would be a
false positive and you can ignore it. If you are unable to install
either program, then surely there is something wrong with your system.

This leads us to the next question:

What specifically is wrong with your system?

If you choose to reinstall Windows using a Dell-branded XP installation
CD (Hopefully you have one! Do you?), then you don't even NEED to enter
a Product Key.

Hopefully, this explanation has cleared this up for you.

Bruce Chambers

May 1, 2010, 11:51:26 AM5/1/10
24ggirl wrote:
> My virus program is preventing me from using this tool.

Then you need to get a better anti-virus program, one less prone to
false positives.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

Bruce Chambers

May 1, 2010, 11:50:21 AM5/1/10
24ggirl wrote:
> I'll ask you again, can you please tell me where I would look for the key
> code manually in my computer?

It is not stored anywhere on the hard drive in a plain text format,
unless you've deliberately typed it into a text file or Word document
and saved it.

It's stored in the registry, in an encrypted format. You cannot
simply read it; you need a tools such as Magic Jelly Finder of Belarc
Advisor to decrypt it for you.

LD5SZRA

May 1, 2010, 6:16:44 PM5/1/10

HeyBub wrote:

> Geeze, why do I have to think of everything...

Because what else will you do if you don't take responsibility for
your self and for others? You have to be kept busy at all times
to protect young boys and girls from predators like you.

hth

--
THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND. LD5SZRA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESSED OR

Copyright LD5SZRA 2010.

LD5SZRA

May 1, 2010, 6:16:00 PM5/1/10

HeyBub wrote:

> Geeze, why do I have to think of everything...

Because what else will you do if you don't take responsibility for

your self and for others? You have to be kept busy at all times

to protect young b0y5 and g1rl5 from predators like you.

LD5SZRA

May 1, 2010, 9:44:12 PM5/1/10

Replied here due to censorship by Micro-$hit!

<http://tinyurl.com/35mwtar>

hope you can all read it and protect the vulnerables!

Michael

May 2, 2010, 8:50:20 AM5/2/10
Not this time, a$$hole! It's showing up in the ng.

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

"LD5SZRA" <LD5...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Daave

May 2, 2010, 9:09:59 AM5/2/10
Perhaps he killfiled himself...

Michael wrote:
> Not this time, a$$hole! It's showing up in the ng.

Michael

May 2, 2010, 11:19:15 AM5/2/10
LOL! I thought of saying that when I replied. Now if you'd removed "fil" I
would've given you a cookie.

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

"Daave" <da...@example.com> wrote in message

milt

May 4, 2010, 11:25:27 AM5/4/10
On 5/1/2010 4:22 AM, 24ggirl wrote:
> I'll ask you again, can you please tell me where I would look for the key
> code manually in my computer?

You don't. There is your simple answer. Microsoft did not make it easy
to find the license key after it has been entered.