msconfig gives "access denied" error when trying to make changes

Tim.T

Feb 11, 2007, 1:48:28 PM2/11/07
I've only just noticed this, but I'm fairly sure it's result of using the
30-day trial of AVG Spyware Remover. I'm the admin on this pc, only one
account and have full access, and when trying to make changes in the Startup
list in Msconfig, it gives this error: "An Access Denied error was returned
while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using Admin.
account to make the specified changes". Despite this message though, changes
I make still take in MSconfig.

I've searched the 'net for this, and some users report it happens when
updating HP printer software, but I don't have a HP printer (no printer
period). I can't help feeling it's a byproduct of using the AVG Spyware
Remover but I can't prove it (I uninstalled it when I realised it was a
30-day trial). I've tried restoring any changes I made using registry
cleaners; I tried System Restore, but I only have one restore point
available and it doesn't pre-date this issue.

Anyone know of any registry key, value that may be missing or modified to
cause this error?

Tim

http:\\www.news.faithfreedom.org

Wesley Vogel

Feb 11, 2007, 3:23:57 PM2/11/07
Use services.msc *NOT* msconfig.exe!

Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK
---

<quote>
Why can't I use msconfig to change my services?

The reason is because with msconfig and Hardware Profiles, you can disable
services that may be vital to boot your system. With the management console
(services.msc) you cannot. Also, msconfig, while unchecking the box, is
disabling the service.

The "Disable All" button also scares me. It should not even be there as no
reason exists to justify disabling "everything."
<quote>
from...
Why can't I use msconfig to change my services?
http://web.archive.org/web/20041128011231/www.blackviper.com/AskBV/XP25.htm
------------

An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service.

From...
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
<quote>
The error appears when disabling all non-Microsoft services. Try disabling
these one at a time to find out which one is denying access/resisting
change.
<quote>

This error can occur while trying to use msconfig to disable the True Vector
Internet Monitor service (vsmon.exe)...
An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service.
You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified
changes.

An access denied error was returned while ATTEMPTING to change a service

If you have ZoneAlarm.

<quote>
I had this problem. It went away if I didn't load Zone Alarm, so that was
the problem. I stopped it by turning off the "OS Firewall" in Zone Alarm: Go
to Program Control > Main and press the first "Custom" button from the top.
Uncheck "Enable OS Firewall". (With thanks to chiawaikian on the ZA
forum -see
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=win_za_msgs&message.id=11470#M11470)
Chris

See my earlier post; I've found a better fix. In ZA, go to Program Control,
Programs tab, find System Configuration Utility (it's under that, not
msconfig) click on the single green bar in the Trust Level column, and
change it to Trusted (2 green bars) - Chris
<quote>
from...
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1133740266

Using msconfig in Safe Mode can sometimes avoid the error. I suppose Safe
Mode disables whatever app is causing the problem.

A recent update of McAfee can also cause the problem.

<quote>
Do you have MacAfee installed??
I had the same problem, go into msconfig click on any item and hit
apply and you get : An Access Denied error was returned while

attempting to change a service.

I looked at the services tab, saw MacAfee services so I removed them all
from the registry, which was a lot of keys to remove. Then tried
msconfig again, it worked.
<quote>
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage/browse_frm/thread/2a21f16ae4197bb0/3fd0af9adf774a61?lnk=st&q=%22An+access+denied+error+was+returned+while+ATTEMPTING+to+change+a+service%22&rnum=2&hl=en#3fd0af9adf774a61

<quote>
This alert is due to registry permissions on an entry created for McAfee
applications. There appears to be a bug in msconfig that causes it to
attempt to modify registry keys that it isn't directly editing, which
results in the error message.

We have contacted Microsoft about this issue, but for security are keeping
the permission on the key the way it is.
wiedmann
McAfee Development Engineer

This is a security feature and there is no option to disable it. MSConfig
reports error but you can ignore it.
arevashe
McAfee Development Engineer

To clarify, when you modify anything in MSConfig, Windows attempts to change
the registry settings for everything in the MSConfig list. When Windows
reaches the McAfee items and attempts to change them, McAfee prevents this
from happening and Windows shows an error. This is a good thing from a
protection standpoint, as malware could otherwise use the same mechanism to
shut down your McAfee protection.

I would have expected that when I make a change in MSConfig, Windows would
only change the settings for the application I tried to change. But that's
not how it works. MS apparently doesn't want to modify MSConfig to do so.
Hence, the error.

In the end, even if you see this error, whatever changes you made will be
saved, unless you tried to turn off a McAfee product. If that's your goal,
it's best to do this within SecurityCenter.
trombs
McAfee Development Engineer

Using the MCPR.exe removal tool worked for me in eliminating the "access
denied" error message in msconfig. I recommend you try it.
Loyall
<quote>
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=383956#383956

<quote>
Thanks for the reply. Those are important facts to know. Since the time I
posted the message, I think I found the solution . Disabling an HP printer
service "PML Driver HPZ12" in the configuration keeps the error message from
returning. Apparently a security update caused the problem.

For those who want the quick solution, I went to
"HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pml Driver HPZ12", changed the Start
value from 2 (enabled) to 4 (disabled), and then rebooted. Apparently this
service is used for many models of HP printers. I have not looked for an
update from HP yet.
<quote>
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/tree/browse_frm/thread/f4e329d878c7e6fe/fce3c66944b7d8a6?rnum=1&hl=en&q=%22An+access+denied+error+was+returned+while+ATTEMPTING+to+change+a+service%22&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fmicrosoft.public.windowsxp.general%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2Ff4e329d878c7e6fe%2Fe398db2c82588d69%3Flnk%3Dst%26q%3D%22An+access+denied+error+was+returned+while+ATTEMPTING+to+change+a+service%22%26rnum%3D4%26hl%3Den%26#doc_dfa3e5d623eacc21

<quote>
Here's an update guys.
The HP Tech Support wasn't able to help me.
But I finally managed to solve the problem on my own.
The culprit was a security update I had downloaded for my HP PSC 1410
printer software.
I had downloaded PML Security Update v1.0 for the software from HP's
website.
It had caused a service "PML Driver HPZ12" to start in services.msc which
was interfering with the rights/privileges.
I uninstalled the software. But still the service didn't go.
Then I manually deleted the leftover files of HP software from program files
& windows folders & their sub-folders carefully.
Still no respite.
Ran various registry cleaners but still no use.
Then, finally went to Registry Editor & searched for keywords "pml" &
"hpz12" & deleted all entries that showed that they were of HP.
A restart & the problem is gone.
<quote>
http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=358451

<quote>
I had this error message appear everytime I tried to use msconfig after
installing IE7. After uninstalling IE7 and reverting back to IE6, I could
use msconfig without the error message appearing.
<quote>
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/536120-processes-msonfig.html

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:e2bJK1gT...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
Tim.T <bl...@blah.com> hunted and pecked:

riverdogs05

Feb 11, 2007, 3:50:54 PM2/11/07
Have you tried 'safe mode' to do the changes ?
"Tim.T" <bl...@blah.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Tim.T

Feb 13, 2007, 12:23:42 PM2/13/07
> Use services.msc *NOT* msconfig.exe!

I am NOT trying to disable services, just disable a few things in the
STARTUP menu. I leave Services alone for the most part, and I've used
MSconfig many times without this issue! I just wanted to check that
something had gone from STARTUP which previously kept
reappearing, which is when I encountered the problem. That is all.

> The error appears when disabling all non-Microsoft services. Try disabling
> these one at a time to find out which one is denying access/resisting
> change.

Huh? I'm not trying to disable ANY service, MS or otherwise. In fact this
error happens in EVERY tab of Msconfig, from Wini.ini, System.ini, Boot.ini,
Services, and Startup. I'm not even sure if the error let's any changes I
made stick. If I just leave every tab as they are without attemptng changes
and click ""APPLY" or "OK" I STILL get the error, followed by the usual
"Restart" or "Exit without restart"

> Do you have MacAfee installed??

Nope. Just AVG 7 AV scanner, as well as ZoneAlarm Security Suite 6.

> I had this problem. It went away if I didn't load Zone Alarm, so that was
> the problem. I stopped it by turning off the "OS Firewall" in Zone Alarm:
Go
> to Program Control > Main and press the first "Custom" button from the
top.
> Uncheck "Enable OS Firewall". (With thanks to chiawaikian on the ZA
> forum -see

> Chris
>
> See my earlier post; I've found a better fix. In ZA, go to Program
Control,
> Programs tab, find System Configuration Utility (it's under that, not
> msconfig) click on the single green bar in the Trust Level column, and
> change it to Trusted (2 green bars) - Chris

Suite 6.

I've never had to change any permissions for MsConfig in ZA before, and even
when I set it to full permission
I still get the error. I've also turned off the OS Firewall, and lowered the
Program control slider from High to Medium
but the error still happens. The problems seems to be with Msconfig itself
rather than any program listed in
Startup; I just have to click OK without doing anything and the error
appears. I've read people try replacing the Msconfig.exe file with a new
copy but it didn't make any difference.

Startup list:

WinampAgent = D:\Winamp\winampa.exe
Run StartupMonitor = StartupMonitor.exe
NvMediaCenter = "RUNDLL32.EXE"
C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
NvCplDaemon = "RUNDLL32.EXE" C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
NeroFilterCheck = C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
InCD = D:\Ahead\InCD\InCD\InCD.exe
Zone Labs Client = "D:\ZoneAlarm 6 ISS\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
AVG7_CC = d:\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
BOINC Manager.lnk = D:\BOINC\boincmgr.exe
SpeedFan.lnk = D:\SpeedFan\speedfan.exe
hub (2).lnk = G:\LightWave 3D 9\Programs\hub.exe

They are all acounted for I know what each one is. My Startup list doesn't
change that much and these programs
have never caused any issue like this before now. Except I only recently
installed the AVG Virus scanner,
and it seems to have started from then...removing it will not guarrantee it
reverses any possible changes it made, though.

Tim

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVo...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Tim.T

Feb 13, 2007, 12:31:00 PM2/13/07
I just at this very minute examined all non-Microsoft Services in Msconfig
and found that True Vector was running but not ticked. SO I ticked the box,
and miraculously the error message ceased. Still no idea how or why or even
if it was to blame in the first place, or indeed what caused it. I'll get
back if it appears again.

Cheers
Tim

Wesley Vogel

Feb 13, 2007, 2:08:30 PM2/13/07
True Vector is the TrueVector Internet Monitor service (vsmon.exe for my old
version, 3.7.211.0), which is the ZoneAlarm firewall.

Service name: vsmon
Display name: TrueVector Internet Monitor
Path to executable:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe -service

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vsmon

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User