Is activation of XP still tracked by Microsoft.

Reds

Mar 18, 2008, 3:01:09 PM3/18/08
I would like to know if Microsft still tracks activation of copies of
Windows XP. Do they still care if more than one computer is using the
same copy. I'm assuming that since Vista is now available, they may
relax the rules for using XP.

Unknown

Mar 18, 2008, 3:04:27 PM3/18/08
Very bad assumption.
"Reds" <rede...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Mar 18, 2008, 3:11:52 PM3/18/08
Windows XP licensing will always remain the same:
One (1) license on one (1) computer only!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Colin Barnhorst

Mar 18, 2008, 3:17:53 PM3/18/08
Yes, MS continues to support XP activation as they have in the past. Read
the XP End User License Agreement for your copy of XP and continue to comply
with it. This will not change even after XP is out of extended support six
years from now.

Of course they care if XP is installed on more than one computer at a time.
Doing so requires additional licensing considerations.

PD43

Mar 18, 2008, 3:28:29 PM3/18/08
Reds <rede...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I suppose we can assume that you're a freakin' software pirate... the
type of person who causes the rest of us to pay more for the software
we legally use... RIGHT?

Ed Covney dot at dot

Mar 18, 2008, 3:31:30 PM3/18/08
> One (1) license on one (1) computer only!

I totally agree, but about a month ago, I finally got fed up with a
misbehaving 5-yr old motherboard, so I installed a new one and
also replaced the HDD (320 vs 120 GB) while I was changing
things. I then re-installed XP Pro (orig -slipstreamed to SP2) and
fully expected to have to phone in the activation which completed
in a millisecond ... the preferred way.

So I must suspect MS made a change in the way the h/w hash is
determined. And with all the other post SP2 updates and Office
XP updates, the licenses have been re-validated a dozen or more
times since. Go figure.

Regards,

Ed

Colin Barnhorst

Mar 18, 2008, 4:03:15 PM3/18/08

Changing a mobo does not always require reactivation. It depends on what
devices are on the mobo versus which add-ins that you are carrying over,
like the NIC. Don't worry about it.

"Ed Covney" <ed(dot)covney(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in message

Ghostrider

Mar 18, 2008, 4:36:19 PM3/18/08

Ed Covney wrote:

>>One (1) license on one (1) computer only!
>
> I totally agree, but about a month ago, I finally got fed up with a
> misbehaving 5-yr old motherboard, so I installed a new one and
> also replaced the HDD (320 vs 120 GB) while I was changing
> things. I then re-installed XP Pro (orig -slipstreamed to SP2) and
> fully expected to have to phone in the activation which completed
> in a millisecond ... the preferred way.
>
> So I must suspect MS made a change in the way the h/w hash is
> determined. And with all the other post SP2 updates and Office
> XP updates, the licenses have been re-validated a dozen or more
> times since. Go figure.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ed

No change to the overall scheme of things for WPA. The requirements
are still the same. The WPA database still allows a discrete number
of activations for any given Product Key within a 120-day period. A
no-nonsense activation of a properly installed Windows XP product
just means that this number of activations for this particular Product
Key has not been exceeded within the current 120-day period. And this
result can be probably expected for an ancient but still valid Product
Key.

Timothy Daniels

Mar 18, 2008, 6:50:18 PM3/18/08
The people who really know the answer to this won't tell,
and those who tell don't really know. Just use your common
sense, taking into account the price of Vista, the price of XP,
the number of people wanting to re-install their old XP after
"experiencingi: Vista, and your own experiience (which does
NOT involve risking death or imprisonment or fines).

*TimDaniels*

Bruce Chambers

Mar 18, 2008, 9:22:14 PM3/18/08
Reds wrote:
> I would like to know if Microsft still tracks activation of copies of
> Windows XP.

Yes, of course.

> Do they still care if more than one computer is using the
> same copy.

Yes, of course they're still opposed to theft.

> I'm assuming that since Vista is now available, they may
> relax the rules for using XP.

Why would you ever assume such a silly thing? Microsoft still hasn't
"relaxed" the licensing terms for MS-DOS.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

Message has been deleted

Jonathan Perreault

Mar 18, 2008, 10:59:09 PM3/18/08
hard to say, i had to change pc's often, cuz they kept crashing on me,
crashing meaning dying on me, and i am at my last desktop, and i also
expected issues with the activation, but what i did was i registered my copy
of xp again and i had no issues. :S weird thing, but i think if you
re-register, they probably look up your account and they figured you had
issues and they don't ask you for phone, at least not when i did it

Colin Barnhorst

Mar 18, 2008, 11:01:04 PM3/18/08
No.

I asked that question of someone high enough in MS to give a definitive
answer and the answer was that if XP activation is ever taken offline an
alternative means of satisfying the activation software will be provided.
It would be years from now before any decision would be taken as to just how
that would work, however.

"Roger Blake" <rogbl...@iname10.com> wrote in message
> In article <DF6AEDA1-EA2B-45C1...@microsoft.com>, Colin

> Barnhorst wrote:
>> Yes, MS continues to support XP activation as they have in the past.
>> Read
>

> The more interesting question may be whether they will at some point
> choose to no longer provide the activation service for XP, and force
> a true "end of life" to the product.
>
> --
> Roger Blake
> (Subtract 10s for email.)

Colin Barnhorst

Mar 18, 2008, 11:37:33 PM3/18/08
Registration does not matter. Microsoft stopped linking activation and
registration several years ago due to privacy considerations. There is no
way to look up activation data that way.

"Jonathan Perreault" <jonper...@verizon.net> wrote in message

M.I.5¾

Mar 19, 2008, 9:38:11 AM3/19/08

"Reds" <rede...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Reputedly, Microsoft only store the activation information on their systems
for 120 days. This makes sense otherwise they would have to store
activation information for every copy of Windows ever sold (and every other
product that requires activation).

Phisherman

Mar 20, 2008, 6:48:45 PM3/20/08

Yes, Microsoft is still actively and aggressively checking. If
Microsoft says you have a non-genuine copy, it may very well be, but
not necessarily so. Microsoft's "testing" of legal copies is
genuinely flawed. One licence per computer for either Vista, XP, or
any other O/S from Microsoft.

Jonathan Perreault

Mar 20, 2008, 11:03:17 PM3/20/08
well i don't know. all i know is i had to do activation by phone before and
when i clicked register i expected to give me issues again and it didn't.

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.bar...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Colin Barnhorst

Mar 21, 2008, 12:14:46 AM3/21/08
You can register as many times as you want. You are just registering
yourself as a user anyway. Registration has nothing to do with activation.
Nothing.

"Jonathan Perreault" <jonper...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Jonathan Perreault

Mar 21, 2008, 11:52:00 AM3/21/08
in that case, i have no idea why it didn't give me any issues about
activation, because i remember before the system crashed it had given me the
hardest of times, to do it. ended up calling microsft and talking to a
employee to get it working.

i am just confused as to why i didn't get any issues this time. :S

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.bar...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Colin Barnhorst

Mar 21, 2008, 1:28:06 PM3/21/08
That wasn't registration. That was activation. You would never register
over the phone.

"Jonathan Perreault" <jonper...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Jonathan Perreault

Mar 21, 2008, 2:18:03 PM3/21/08
that's what i said, i said it was a pain to activate it because i had
changed motherboards, and i expected the same issue when i had to re-install
but i didn't any issues

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.bar...@comcast.net> wrote in message

M.I.5¾

Apr 25, 2008, 4:57:41 AM4/25/08

"Ed Covney" <ed(dot)covney(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in message
>> One (1) license on one (1) computer only!
>
> I totally agree, but about a month ago, I finally got fed up with a
> misbehaving 5-yr old motherboard, so I installed a new one and
> also replaced the HDD (320 vs 120 GB) while I was changing
> things. I then re-installed XP Pro (orig -slipstreamed to SP2) and
> fully expected to have to phone in the activation which completed
> in a millisecond ... the preferred way.
>
> So I must suspect MS made a change in the way the h/w hash is
> determined. And with all the other post SP2 updates and Office
> XP updates, the licenses have been re-validated a dozen or more
> times since. Go figure.

If you reinstalled XP and then reactivated afresh, it will almost certainly
have gone through without problem. With all the Windows installations on
the planet, Microsoft just cannot store the hardware hash that goes with
each and every product key for ever. As a result, they only store the
information for a limited period of time (reputed to be 120 days). This
means that if you do a complete reinstall after this period, it will
activate over the internet. This does not affect hardware *changes* on an
existing installation tripping reactivation because that hardware hash is
stored locally as well.

Although this might indicate that you could illicitly make 2 installations
if you do them more than 120 days (or whatever) apart, in practice one will
fail if any attempt is made to perform an update.

M.I.5¾

Apr 25, 2008, 5:01:44 AM4/25/08

"Timothy Daniels" <NoS...@SpamMeNot.com> wrote in message

> The people who really know the answer to this won't tell,
> and those who tell don't really know. Just use your common
> sense, taking into account the price of Vista, the price of XP,
> the number of people wanting to re-install their old XP after
> "experiencingi: Vista, and your own experiience (which does
> NOT involve risking death or imprisonment or fines).

Pricing doesn't necessarily come into it. European laws require the product
to be useable for 10 years from end of supply (which hasn't happened yet).
Some means of activation must be provided or the supplier gets to buy the
product back.

Timothy Daniels

Apr 25, 2008, 1:54:18 PM4/25/08
"M.I.5ž" wrote:

> "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
>> The people who really know the answer to this won't tell,
>> and those who tell don't really know. Just use your common
>> sense, taking into account the price of Vista, the price of XP,
>> the number of people wanting to re-install their old XP after
>> "experiencingi: Vista, and your own experiience (which does
>> NOT involve risking death or imprisonment or fines).
>>

> Pricing doesn't necessarily come into it. European laws require
> the product to be useable for 10 years from end of supply
> (which hasn't happened yet). Some means of activation must
> be provided or the supplier gets to buy the product back.

Pricing plays a part in making a product attractive to pirates.
If Vista installation CDs cost $5, there would many fewer people
who would buy pirated CDs instead of the genuine article.

*TimDaniels*

M.I.5¾

Apr 28, 2008, 3:19:15 AM4/28/08

"Timothy Daniels" <NoS...@SpamMeNot.com> wrote in message
Obviously pricing doesn't come into it, because Microsoft sell their
products at a price that encourages piracy.

Timothy Daniels

Apr 28, 2008, 12:42:09 PM4/28/08

And thus you confirm my point that pricing plays a part in
making a product attractive to pirates. Since higher price means
that fewer potential buyers are willing to pay the price for the
genuine product, they are more willing to take a chance on pirated
copies. Thus, pirates make more money when Microsoft raises
the prices on its software.

*TimDaniels*

milt

Jun 19, 2008, 1:52:17 PM6/19/08
Timothy Daniels wrote:

> And thus you confirm my point that pricing plays a part in
> making a product attractive to pirates. Since higher price means
> that fewer potential buyers are willing to pay the price for the
> genuine product, they are more willing to take a chance on pirated
> copies. Thus, pirates make more money when Microsoft raises
> the prices on its software.
>
> *TimDaniels*

That's flawed logic.... even with $10 CDs... people still pirate music
all the time, it has nothing to do with the picing, its everything to do
with "why should I buy it if I can get it for free?". Of course, some
people's sense of entitlement is way overinflated. Why do these people
feel they should get this stuff for free?

Alias

Jun 19, 2008, 2:26:18 PM6/19/08

Do you always generalize like this?

Alias