Slow opening folders in Explorer

Mikael

Jul 14, 2003, 5:00:18 AM7/14/03
Windows explorer (or My computer) takes very long to open
folders. To open C: under "this computer" takes 1 minute,
and then to open a certin directory (which contains
several subdirectories with a lot of files in them) takes
3 minutes... While the hard drive is working constantly.
Opening a program like Nero also takes long because it
waits for it's directory tree to open.

I thought it might be the Q811493-problem mentioned here
earlier, so I uninstalled that patch. It made no
difference at all. So what could the problem be?

Funny enough, I have another drive, D:, whith exactly the
same content of folders and files (drive moved from my
old computer) - and when I open folders on that drive
with Windows Explorer it goes as fast as a click! Just
like it used to be on my old computer (though it was a
slower machine than the new one). XP was on both.

The old drive is FAT 32, the new one is NTFS. There is
nothing wrong with the new hard drive according to WD:s
disk check utility.

Comments, please?

Mikael

Kelly

Jul 15, 2003, 2:53:51 AM7/15/03

Run both of the edits on line 157:

All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP Win98/XP
[AE-Windows® XP]

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

"Mikael" <mikael....@bredband.net> wrote in message

Lee Lord

Jul 15, 2003, 2:57:47 AM7/15/03
to Mikael
I don't really know what could be wrong. I've deleted Q811493 cause I
read there was a problem with that Hot Fix but that didn't help me
neither. I only have C with NTFS and it's always been ok until recently
then all of a sudden everything slowed down. I hadn't downloaded any
programs recently including hot fixes. This slow down happened to me
out of nowhere. I'm still exploring what the problem might be and if I
find something I'll get back to you. Please do the sasme. Thanks so
much for the post Mikael. Let me hear from you.

Lee

Lee Lord

Jul 15, 2003, 12:55:11 PM7/15/03
Hi kelly,

I made the post below earlier and wondered if your suggestion to run the
.reg files in line 157 would help? Thanks so much!

Lee

I'm running XP SP1 and am having a problem with everthing being slow.
This just occurred. I've scanned for viruses and nothing and haven't
installed anything new. I've also defragged. When I boot up my desktop

Icons load several times and when accessing any folder on the desktop
makes the Icons load again several times. Everything is very slow
matter. The whole system seems to have slowed to a crawl. Any
suggestions? I've deleted most Microsoft Hot Fixes as well. Typing
this thread right now is lagging also.

Thank you!
Lee Lord

Kelly

Jul 16, 2003, 2:34:56 AM7/16/03
Hi Lee,

The edits have helped others with the behavior you have described. Good
luck!

--
All the Best,
Kelly