OMSCAN failed to start - source of slow boot

eb

Dec 21, 2001, 8:54:33 AM12/21/01
I get an error in Admin Tools > Event Viewer > Event ID
7000 :

The OMSCAN service failed to start due to the following
error: The system cannot find the file specified.

I believe this is the source of my unusually long Win XP
Pro boot time which is twice as long as that of Win ME
boot (it's a 2 HD dual boot system.)

Tried disconnecting scanner, disabling network card and
uninstalling MS windows messenger, still same problem.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Craig Brown

Dec 21, 2001, 9:38:56 AM12/21/01

I had the same exact error in the Event Viewer.

This is how I got rid of that message. I have no idea what the OMSCAN
service is but after removing it from the registry the error no longer
appeared.

Note: Back up registry before attenpting this.

Open regedit and goto the following key:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

Scroll down to OMSCAN and delete that key.

The error will no longer appear in the event viewer

The service is then removed from the computer and will not write the error
to the event viwer. This should cause any problem as the error about not
finding a file meant the service wasn't running anyway.

As for the slow loading time go to:

http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/fastboot/

and download bootvis and run a travce which record start times of all items
loaded during startup and then give you you a graph allowing you to identify
at what point there is a problem during startup.

Craig

"eb" <edi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

don

Dec 21, 2001, 9:56:27 AM12/21/01

"eb" <edi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Start>>Run Msconfig

Have a look at the start-up items and try disabling items.

don

eb.

Dec 21, 2001, 10:39:11 AM12/21/01
Craig, thanks a lot -- that got rid of my OMSCAN error.
No change with boot up though, disabling all msconfig
startup items yielded only about 5 seconds.

Tried bootvis.
Under Boot activity - Prefetching from 3 to 63 sec and
Driver from 3 sec to 50 sec
Under Driver delay - 19 sec to 39 sec for something
called saimrmap.sys

Any ideas what this means?
Thanks aging for your help.