Re: Pirated Software Question

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Mar 22, 2005, 12:48:23 AM3/22/05
Clayton;
With retail Windows XP, a Repair Installation using the legitimate CD and
Key will do it:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm
You can try it with the OEM as long as it is the generic OEM.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Clayton" <clayton...@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>I run a computer business and have had someone ring me about a problem on
>their computer, I arrived to their business premises to fix the problem and
>while I was working on their computer I realised that they have a pirated
>copy on Windows XP Pro which has been updated to SP-2, I've advised the
>customer of this and told them if they want to be compliant they will need
>to purchase the operating system which they have decided to do, the cd key
>that has installed the software is a known corporate key from a list of
>banned keys from Microsoft.
> My question is can I install the Windows XP Pro SP-2 OEM on this computer
> over the top of this install and use the legal key number? or can I easily
> change the CD Key and activate? which I think will not work as the
> activation has been remove from the corporate version? so what's my best
> angle of sorting this problem out?
>
> Cheers

Clayton

Mar 22, 2005, 1:45:06 AM3/22/05
Oh, I can purchase OEM CD's from my supplier when I build new computers, I
actually rang Microsoft about this and they said they will grant me a OEM
install on this condition but I will need to format and reinstall, I ask why
and they said that this is the only way you can do it, only way in
licensing? or only way possible? who knows, he had to go and check a few
times, hence the reason why I posted here.

Sad news about Alex Nichol :-(

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_...@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
> Such as is normally purchased with a piece of hardware as a hard drive or
> memory stick.
> As opposed to OEM supplied with Dell, Compaq, HP etc.

> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Clayton" <clayton...@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

>> Generic OEM? whats that? it will be a genuine OEM copy from my supplier

Clayton

Mar 22, 2005, 1:25:15 AM3/22/05
Generic OEM? whats that? it will be a genuine OEM copy from my supplier

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

Mar 22, 2005, 3:11:59 AM3/22/05

> Oh, I can purchase OEM CD's from my supplier when I build new computers, I
> actually rang Microsoft about this and they said they will grant me a OEM
> install on this condition but I will need to format and reinstall, I ask
> why and they said that this is the only way you can do it, only way in
> licensing? or only way possible? who knows, he had to go and check a few
> times, hence the reason why I posted here.

Clayton,

OEM products are for installation to a clean hard drive or partition only.
If you wish to do a repair install to fix this pirated software issue you
need to use a retail product otherwise a clean install using OEM media and
key

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

Kelly

Mar 22, 2005, 2:03:58 AM3/22/05
>Sad news about Alex Nichol :-(

Yes it is. Our loss and may he RIP.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Clayton

Mar 21, 2005, 11:49:17 PM3/21/05

R. McCarty

Mar 22, 2005, 8:42:21 PM3/22/05
I just setup a test case with a Virtual PC instance of an XP Pro VLK.
I inserted a OEM XP Professional disk. It autoplayed, and I checked
Install Windows XP. It immediately posted a warning that an upgrade
isn't supported, and toggled the mode to New install. I clicked continue
the installer ran and prompted for the OEM Product Key. Afterwards
it copied the installer modules and started a reboot. On reboot, I went
through the process to reach the Repair install option. Files copied &
the Repair install completed - but an Activation was required. So you
can do a Repair install on a VLK install, but a product key for the OEM
disk is required.
I didn't try a VLK to OEM Repair booting straight to the OEM Disk,
but would assume it would function the same.

"Ron Martell" <ron.m...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
>
>>Mike Brannigan [MSFT] wrote:
>>> As has already been covered a generic OEM CD will in most cases allow
>>> a repair install of its own installation.
>>> In the case of the OP he has also been addressed - a clean install
>>> using his OEM CD or a repair install using a retail CD are his
>>> options.
>>

>>OMG! Why can't you give a friggin' straight answer? What the hell are
>>you trying to cover up?
>>
>>So are you saying that the OEM repair install WILL NOT work in this
>>instance, of changing a pirated VL copy into a legit OEM version? Yes
>>or No!
>
> What Mike was saying is that an OEM CD will *only* do a repair install
> of an OEM installation. Period. As the installation in question was
> made from a volume license CD the repair install will fail, according
> to Mike.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

kurttrail

Mar 22, 2005, 9:16:56 PM3/22/05
Clayton wrote:
> It was to late Michael to try your suggestion as I had already
> started prior to your posting, I will it next time, no doubt there
> will be a next time. I've had a look at your site at #18 so what I
> could have done was do a repair install using the OEM key? I don't
> think it even gave me the option to repair, but mind you I started
> running the install from within windows which proberly wasn't the
> correct way to do it, should have booted from the CD huh?

Did you boot up with the OEM CD or did you try to do the OEM install
from within Windows XP?

It sounds like you started the OEM install process from within Windows
to me.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

Mar 22, 2005, 1:40:06 PM3/22/05
"kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message
> Mike Brannigan [MSFT] wrote:
>> "kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
>> message news:%23AdeUEt...@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>>

>>> And then try the repair install. I see no real licensing reason why
>>> you shouldn't go that route, just another post-EULA arbitrary policy
>>> of MS. MS has more policies about what you can and can't do that are
>>> totally outside of the EULA than is actually written in the EULA.
>>>

>> Actually Kurt he does not need to do a repair install as he is going
>> to back-up and reinstall using his OEM media (as he has purchased
>> that to may his pirated copy legal), so there is no need to repair
>> anything This has nothing to do with EULA issues.
>>

> Actually Mike, he can save him and his customer time by doing the repair
> install, instead of doing a complete clean install.

> "My question is can I install the Windows XP Pro SP-2 OEM on this computer
> over the top of this install and use the legal key number?"

That question was answered earlier in the thread - you can either use a
Retail CD to do the repair install or do a clean install with an OEM one.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message
> Mike Brannigan [MSFT] wrote:
>> "kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
>> message news:%23AdeUEt...@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>>

>>> And then try the repair install. I see no real licensing reason why
>>> you shouldn't go that route, just another post-EULA arbitrary policy
>>> of MS. MS has more policies about what you can and can't do that are
>>> totally outside of the EULA than is actually written in the EULA.
>>>

>> Actually Kurt he does not need to do a repair install as he is going
>> to back-up and reinstall using his OEM media (as he has purchased
>> that to may his pirated copy legal), so there is no need to repair
>> anything This has nothing to do with EULA issues.
>>

> Actually Mike, he can save him and his customer time by doing the repair
> install, instead of doing a complete clean install.

> "My question is can I install the Windows XP Pro SP-2 OEM on this computer
> over the top of this install and use the legal key number?"

Mikey

Mar 22, 2005, 11:39:19 AM3/22/05

Clayton wrote:

I don't have any advice for Clayton, but I'm curious about something.
Maybe someone knows the answer.
He wrote that it's a pirated copy of XP with a pirated CD key on a
banned list of pirated keys known by Microsoft. I thought that these
pirated copies would not be able to be updated to SP2, yet Clayton
wrote that it has been. Can pirated copies of XP be updated to SP2?

kurttrail

Mar 22, 2005, 10:19:08 AM3/22/05
Mike Brannigan [MSFT] wrote:
> "kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
> message news:%23AdeUEt...@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Clayton wrote:
>>> Ok thanks, looks like I will need to backup data, format and
>>> reinstall
>>

>> And then try the repair install. I see no real licensing reason why
>> you shouldn't go that route, just another post-EULA arbitrary policy
>> of MS. MS has more policies about what you can and can't do that are
>> totally outside of the EULA than is actually written in the EULA.
>>

> Actually Kurt he does not need to do a repair install as he is going
> to back-up and reinstall using his OEM media (as he has purchased
> that to may his pirated copy legal), so there is no need to repair
> anything This has nothing to do with EULA issues.

Actually Mike, he can save him and his customer time by doing the repair
install, instead of doing a complete clean install.

"My question is can I install the Windows XP Pro SP-2 OEM on this

computer
over the top of this install and use the legal key number?"

kurttrail

Mar 22, 2005, 1:51:40 PM3/22/05

And why, pray tell, can he not do a repair install with an OEM CD for
his customer?

kurttrail

Mar 22, 2005, 5:00:14 PM3/22/05
Bruce Chambers wrote:

> kurttrail wrote:
>

>> And why, pray tell, can he not do a repair install with an OEM CD for
>> his customer?
>>

> Because OEM CDs are designed specifically to perform clean
> installations, and cannot perform an "in-place upgrade," which is
> what a repair installation really is.

Hmm, so are you saying that a repair install with OEM CD won't work?

Kerry Brown

Mar 22, 2005, 6:14:40 PM3/22/05
> R. McCarty wrote:
>> Huh ? - I purchase OEM XP (Pro & Home) packets from
>> my local distributor & have used them numerous times to do
>> a "Repair" install. They won't offer an upgrade option if they
>> are autoplayed on an older Microsoft OS, but booted from
>> they do provide the Repair option.
>
> That has been my experience too. Bruce and Mike B. seem to be implying
> that a repair install won't work in the OP's situation, and I'm trying to
> get them to stand up like men and explain themselves.
>
> I don't know what the friggin' big deal is with saying outright, what they
> are tiptoeing around by vague implications.
>
> Either a repair install will or won't work in the OP's situation, they
> should stop with the vageries, and give the OP a definitive answer.
>
> Will the repair install work for the OP in his & his customer's situation?
> Yes or No?! Can either Bruce or Mike B. be man enough to give a simple &
> direct answer?

> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

I think the answer is: No one knows for sure. It's worth a try and will
probably work but so far it looks like no one has actually tried it. I have
gone the other way OEM to volume license but never volume to OEM. I do know
for sure that the OEM repair console works on a volume install. Would be
nice to hear back from the OP as to whether it works. It would be a nice
option to offer in similar circumstances.

Kerry

Michael Stevens

Mar 22, 2005, 8:44:58 PM3/22/05
In news:%23Ln2sj0...@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Clayton <clayton...@xtra.co.nz> respectfully replied ;-)
> Finally decided to put in the OEM CD to perform a repair installation,
> (after backing up their data) offcourse, I only had the option of
> "Full Installation" which I proceeded with and once it completed the
> install all programs installed prior to this were gone but they still
> appeared in the program files directory, My Documents were wiped out
> and at that point told the customer I would prefer doing a format and
> reinstallation, because what I just did, didn't look right.
> So the question is NO you can not do a repair install using OEM from
> a Retail or CORP version of windows.

You should have tried my work around in the link I provided.
It's in the repair install option.
Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
if using the web based newsgroup.
I need to change my XP Product KEY #18 on the FAQ list
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpn...@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com

> "DevilsPGD" <ihat...@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
>> In message <42404A36.59749485@Not_There_Either.nope> Mikey

>> <Not_Here@Not_There_Either.nope> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't have any advice for Clayton, but I'm curious about
>>> something. Maybe someone knows the answer.
>>> He wrote that it's a pirated copy of XP with a pirated CD key on a
>>> banned list of pirated keys known by Microsoft. I thought that
>>> these pirated copies would not be able to be updated to SP2, yet
>>> Clayton wrote that it has been. Can pirated copies of XP be
>>> updated to SP2?
>>

>> All the known pirate keys were blocked when SP2 was released, but any
>> subsequently released corporate keys will update to SP2 (although
>> perhaps not beyond)
>>

>> --
>> "If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent
>> that year in college"
>> -- Lewis Black

Michael Stevens

Mar 22, 2005, 9:13:51 PM3/22/05
In news:uub7Pm0L...@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
R. McCarty <PcEngWor...@mindspring.com> respectfully replied ;-)

> I just setup a test case with a Virtual PC instance of an XP Pro VLK.
> I inserted a OEM XP Professional disk. It autoplayed, and I checked
> Install Windows XP. It immediately posted a warning that an upgrade
> isn't supported, and toggled the mode to New install. I clicked
> continue the installer ran and prompted for the OEM Product Key.
> Afterwards it copied the installer modules and started a reboot. On
> reboot, I
> went through the process to reach the Repair install option. Files
> copied & the Repair install completed - but an Activation was
> required. So you can do a Repair install on a VLK install, but a
> product key for the OEM disk is required.
> I didn't try a VLK to OEM Repair booting straight to the OEM Disk,
> but would assume it would function the same.

Yep, I have had this information on my web site for months.
See the Repair Install option in the link below.

I need to change my XP Product KEY #18 on the FAQ list
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html

Posted the link last night

Michael Stevens

Mar 22, 2005, 9:18:35 PM3/22/05
In news:%23O0Iyv0...@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,

Clayton <clayton...@xtra.co.nz> respectfully replied ;-)
> It was to late Michael to try your suggestion as I had already
> started prior to your posting, I will it next time, no doubt there
> will be a next time. I've had a look at your site at #18 so what I
> could have done was do a repair install using the OEM key? I don't
> think it even gave me the option to repair, but mind you I started
> running the install from within windows which proberly wasn't the
> correct way to do it, should have booted from the CD huh?
>
> cheers
> Clayton

No, you should read the step by step. You start from Windows take new
install and choose to set location after reboot and the repair install will
be an option. Read the step by step. It is very easy to follow.

Bruce Chambers

Mar 22, 2005, 2:02:04 PM3/22/05
kurttrail wrote:

> And why, pray tell, can he not do a repair install with an OEM CD for
> his customer?

Because OEM CDs are designed specifically to perform clean
installations, and cannot perform an "in-place upgrade," which is what a
repair installation really is.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

kurttrail

Mar 22, 2005, 7:19:26 PM3/22/05
Mike Brannigan [MSFT] wrote:
> Kurt,
>
> By the way - this is a peer to peer support newsgroup.

And you are a MS employee that won't give a straight answer.

> If you want a definite final and absolute answer the OP should raise a
> product support call - which will be at his expense as he has a
> pirated XP and an OEM CD to replace it - neither of which entitles
> you to any free product support direct from Microsoft.

LOL! Like MS support techs give a same answer every time to every
question! What is the big deal about giving a straight answer? If you
don't know the actual answer, be man enough to admit it.

Will a repair install work to change a pirated VL install into a legit
OEM install? Yes, No, or I don't know?

DevilsPGD

Mar 22, 2005, 5:34:32 PM3/22/05
In message <42404A36.59749485@Not_There_Either.nope> Mikey
<Not_Here@Not_There_Either.nope> wrote:

>I don't have any advice for Clayton, but I'm curious about something.
>Maybe someone knows the answer.
>He wrote that it's a pirated copy of XP with a pirated CD key on a
>banned list of pirated keys known by Microsoft. I thought that these
>pirated copies would not be able to be updated to SP2, yet Clayton
>wrote that it has been. Can pirated copies of XP be updated to SP2?

All the known pirate keys were blocked when SP2 was released, but any

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

Mar 22, 2005, 6:29:42 PM3/22/05
Kurt,

By the way - this is a peer to peer support newsgroup.

If you want a definite final and absolute answer the OP should raise a
product support call - which will be at his expense as he has a pirated XP
and an OEM CD to replace it - neither of which entitles you to any free
product support direct from Microsoft.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message

> R. McCarty wrote:
>> Huh ? - I purchase OEM XP (Pro & Home) packets from
>> my local distributor & have used them numerous times to do
>> a "Repair" install. They won't offer an upgrade option if they
>> are autoplayed on an older Microsoft OS, but booted from
>> they do provide the Repair option.
>
> That has been my experience too. Bruce and Mike B. seem to be implying
> that a repair install won't work in the OP's situation, and I'm trying to
> get them to stand up like men and explain themselves.
>
> I don't know what the friggin' big deal is with saying outright, what they
> are tiptoeing around by vague implications.
>
> Either a repair install will or won't work in the OP's situation, they
> should stop with the vageries, and give the OP a definitive answer.
>
> Will the repair install work for the OP in his & his customer's situation?
> Yes or No?! Can either Bruce or Mike B. be man enough to give a simple &
> direct answer?

Clayton

Mar 22, 2005, 4:42:18 AM3/22/05

> Further explain on this, OEM CDs do not have the software
> upgrade install program, it can only do a clean install or a
> repair of the same system.
>

> "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mike...@online.microsoft.com>

kurttrail

Mar 22, 2005, 6:19:54 AM3/22/05
Clayton wrote:
> Ok thanks, looks like I will need to backup data, format and reinstall

And then try the repair install. I see no real licensing reason why you
shouldn't go that route, just another post-EULA arbitrary policy of MS.
MS has more policies about what you can and can't do that are totally
outside of the EULA than is actually written in the EULA.

Michael Stevens

Mar 22, 2005, 4:46:36 AM3/22/05
In news:OWbAwqq...@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,

Clayton <clayton...@xtra.co.nz> respectfully replied ;-)
> Oh, I can purchase OEM CD's from my supplier when I build new
> computers, I actually rang Microsoft about this and they said they
> will grant me a OEM install on this condition but I will need to
> format and reinstall, I ask why and they said that this is the only
> way you can do it, only way in licensing? or only way possible? who
> knows, he had to go and check a few times, hence the reason why I
> posted here.
> Sad news about Alex Nichol :-(

Clayton,

See the Repair Install option in the link below.

Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
if using the web based newsgroup.
I need to change my XP Product KEY #18 on the FAQ list
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpn...@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com

Airman QPD

Mar 22, 2005, 2:16:04 PM3/22/05
Why not try the repair install, and if no joy, you can always wipe it
out and start fresh?

Ron Martell

Mar 22, 2005, 8:20:27 PM3/22/05

Clayton

Clayton

kurttrail

Mar 22, 2005, 9:13:36 PM3/22/05
Ron Martell wrote:
> "kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
>
>> Mike Brannigan [MSFT] wrote:
>>> As has already been covered a generic OEM CD will in most cases
>>> allow a repair install of its own installation.
>>> In the case of the OP he has also been addressed - a clean install
>>> using his OEM CD or a repair install using a retail CD are his
>>> options.
>>

>> OMG! Why can't you give a friggin' straight answer? What the hell
>> are you trying to cover up?
>>
>> So are you saying that the OEM repair install WILL NOT work in this
>> instance, of changing a pirated VL copy into a legit OEM version?
>> Yes or No!
>
> What Mike was saying is that an OEM CD will *only* do a repair install
> of an OEM installation. Period. As the installation in question was
> made from a volume license CD the repair install will fail, according
> to Mike.

That is an assumption on your part. Mike did not say that, in fact, he
tried his damnedest not to say that directly.

Why he is trying to imply such a disingenuous answer is beyond me.

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

Mar 22, 2005, 8:59:19 AM3/22/05
"kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message

> Clayton wrote:
>> Ok thanks, looks like I will need to backup data, format and reinstall
>

> And then try the repair install. I see no real licensing reason why you
> shouldn't go that route, just another post-EULA arbitrary policy of MS. MS
> has more policies about what you can and can't do that are totally outside
> of the EULA than is actually written in the EULA.

Actually Kurt he does not need to do a repair install as he is going to

back-up and reinstall using his OEM media (as he has purchased that to may
his pirated copy legal), so there is no need to repair anything
This has nothing to do with EULA issues.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

Clayton

Mar 22, 2005, 9:19:27 PM3/22/05
Yes I did, but realised afterwards I should have booted it. we are learning
all the time and I should have know that!!

"kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

Mar 22, 2005, 6:27:15 PM3/22/05
As has already been covered a generic OEM CD will in most cases allow a
repair install of its own installation.
In the case of the OP he has also been addressed - a clean install using his
OEM CD or a repair install using a retail CD are his options.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message

> R. McCarty wrote:
>> Huh ? - I purchase OEM XP (Pro & Home) packets from
>> my local distributor & have used them numerous times to do
>> a "Repair" install. They won't offer an upgrade option if they
>> are autoplayed on an older Microsoft OS, but booted from
>> they do provide the Repair option.
>
> That has been my experience too. Bruce and Mike B. seem to be implying
> that a repair install won't work in the OP's situation, and I'm trying to
> get them to stand up like men and explain themselves.
>
> I don't know what the friggin' big deal is with saying outright, what they
> are tiptoeing around by vague implications.
>
> Either a repair install will or won't work in the OP's situation, they
> should stop with the vageries, and give the OP a definitive answer.
>
> Will the repair install work for the OP in his & his customer's situation?
> Yes or No?! Can either Bruce or Mike B. be man enough to give a simple &
> direct answer?

Michael Stevens

Mar 22, 2005, 7:07:53 PM3/22/05
In news:%23IIuWCz...@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
kurttrail <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> respectfully replied
;-)

> R. McCarty wrote:
>> Huh ? - I purchase OEM XP (Pro & Home) packets from
>> my local distributor & have used them numerous times to do
>> a "Repair" install. They won't offer an upgrade option if they
>> are autoplayed on an older Microsoft OS, but booted from
>> they do provide the Repair option.
>
> That has been my experience too. Bruce and Mike B. seem to be
> implying that a repair install won't work in the OP's situation, and
> I'm trying to get them to stand up like men and explain themselves.
>
> I don't know what the friggin' big deal is with saying outright, what
> they are tiptoeing around by vague implications.
>
> Either a repair install will or won't work in the OP's situation, they
> should stop with the vageries, and give the OP a definitive answer.
>
> Will the repair install work for the OP in his & his customer's
> situation? Yes or No?! Can either Bruce or Mike B. be man enough to
> give a simple & direct answer?

See my repair install option on the link below. It has a way to use the OEM
XP Pro to do the repair install.

kurttrail

Mar 22, 2005, 5:43:35 PM3/22/05
R. McCarty wrote:
> Huh ? - I purchase OEM XP (Pro & Home) packets from
> my local distributor & have used them numerous times to do
> a "Repair" install. They won't offer an upgrade option if they
> are autoplayed on an older Microsoft OS, but booted from
> they do provide the Repair option.

That has been my experience too. Bruce and Mike B. seem to be implying
that a repair install won't work in the OP's situation, and I'm trying
to get them to stand up like men and explain themselves.

I don't know what the friggin' big deal is with saying outright, what
they are tiptoeing around by vague implications.

Either a repair install will or won't work in the OP's situation, they
should stop with the vageries, and give the OP a definitive answer.

Will the repair install work for the OP in his & his customer's
situation? Yes or No?! Can either Bruce or Mike B. be man enough to
give a simple & direct answer?

Jim Macklin

Mar 22, 2005, 4:11:41 AM3/22/05

wrote in message

| "Clayton" <clayton...@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

| > Oh, I can purchase OEM CD's from my supplier when I
build new computers, I
| > actually rang Microsoft about this and they said they
will grant me a OEM
| > install on this condition but I will need to format and
reinstall, I ask
| > why and they said that this is the only way you can do
it, only way in
| > licensing? or only way possible? who knows, he had to go
and check a few
| > times, hence the reason why I posted here.
|

| Clayton,
|
| OEM products are for installation to a clean hard drive or
partition only.
| If you wish to do a repair install to fix this pirated
software issue you
| need to use a retail product otherwise a clean install
using OEM media and
| key
|

| --
|
| Regards,
|
| Mike
| --
| Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]
|
| This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no
| rights
|
| Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions, please
use these
| newsgroups
|

| "Clayton" <clayton...@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

| > Oh, I can purchase OEM CD's from my supplier when I
build new computers, I
| > actually rang Microsoft about this and they said they
will grant me a OEM
| > install on this condition but I will need to format and
reinstall, I ask
| > why and they said that this is the only way you can do
it, only way in
| > licensing? or only way possible? who knows, he had to go
and check a few
| > times, hence the reason why I posted here.
| >
| > Sad news about Alex Nichol :-(

Ron Martell

Mar 22, 2005, 5:10:53 PM3/22/05
Bruce Chambers <bruce_a_...@h0tmail.com> wrote:

>kurttrail wrote:
>

>> And why, pray tell, can he not do a repair install with an OEM CD for
>> his customer?
>>

> Because OEM CDs are designed specifically to perform clean
>installations, and cannot perform an "in-place upgrade," which is what a
>repair installation really is.

Generic OEM CDs (which is what the o.p. was talking about) can do a
Repair Install. However they may repeat may refuse to do the Repair
Install if the existing installed copy is not also an OEM version. I
am not 100% certain of this as I have never tried doing this.

But I have done repair installs on numerous occasions using generic
OEM CDs to repair systems that were originally installed from those
same CDs.

Michael Stevens

Mar 22, 2005, 9:21:52 PM3/22/05
In news:OkOgQu0L...@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,

R. McCarty <PcEngWor...@mindspring.com> respectfully replied ;-)
> Definitely works - Thanks.

And thanks for taking the time to confirm it. It is amazing how most people
seem to not read the step by step.

Michael Stevens

Mar 22, 2005, 9:25:34 PM3/22/05
In news:%23EMr960...@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,

Clayton <clayton...@xtra.co.nz> respectfully replied ;-)
> Yes I did, but realised afterwards I should have booted it. we are
> learning all the time and I should have know that!!

No you don't, you start from Windows. Read the step by step in the link I
posted. 8-)

R. McCarty

Mar 22, 2005, 5:10:52 PM3/22/05

> Bruce Chambers wrote:
>> kurttrail wrote:
>>

>>> And why, pray tell, can he not do a repair install with an OEM CD for
>>> his customer?
>>>

>> Because OEM CDs are designed specifically to perform clean
>> installations, and cannot perform an "in-place upgrade," which is
>> what a repair installation really is.
>

> Hmm, so are you saying that a repair install with OEM CD won't work?

R. McCarty

Mar 22, 2005, 8:56:41 PM3/22/05
Definitely works - Thanks.

Clayton

Mar 22, 2005, 9:24:10 PM3/22/05
The millions of installs and reinstalls I have done over the years have been
easy, but this is a new one on me, I'll play around with someone else's
computer next time I run into pirated software.

"Michael Stevens" <mste...@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message

kurttrail

Mar 22, 2005, 7:15:33 PM3/22/05
Mike Brannigan [MSFT] wrote:
> As has already been covered a generic OEM CD will in most cases allow
> a repair install of its own installation.
> In the case of the OP he has also been addressed - a clean install
> using his OEM CD or a repair install using a retail CD are his
> options.

OMG! Why can't you give a friggin' straight answer? What the hell are
you trying to cover up?

So are you saying that the OEM repair install WILL NOT work in this
instance, of changing a pirated VL copy into a legit OEM version? Yes
or No!

Michael Stevens

Mar 23, 2005, 5:26:29 AM3/23/05
In news:O2%23fk50L...@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,

kurttrail <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> respectfully replied
;-)
> Clayton wrote:
>> It was to late Michael to try your suggestion as I had already
>> started prior to your posting, I will it next time, no doubt there
>> will be a next time. I've had a look at your site at #18 so what I
>> could have done was do a repair install using the OEM key? I don't
>> think it even gave me the option to repair, but mind you I started
>> running the install from within windows which proberly wasn't the
>> correct way to do it, should have booted from the CD huh?
>>

> Did you boot up with the OEM CD or did you try to do the OEM install
> from within Windows XP?
>
> It sounds like you started the OEM install process from within Windows
> to me.

I am surprised you got that from his post. He says he "started running the
install from within windows" He didn't read the step by step from the link I
provided [did you read it?] because if he had he would know he was supposed
to start from Windows. Also, I posted the fix to his problem 4 minutes after
he got replies it was not possible to do a repair install from a OEM XP Pro
CD. Too bad about that.
But the thread did confirm my results that the procedure works from the
beyond and above efforts of R. McCarty's results using the same procedure.
Thank you R. McCarty!!
I have fine tuned the link to make it more obvious the link is not just a
generic repair install, but one to change the Product Key using a Retail or
OEM Pro CD.

I need to change my XP Product KEY #18 on the FAQ list
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html

alternate javascript disabled link.I need to change my XP Product KEY
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaqnojs.htm#18

kurttrail

Mar 23, 2005, 5:42:04 AM3/23/05
Michael Stevens wrote:
> In news:O2%23fk50L...@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> kurttrail <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> respectfully
> replied ;-)
>> Clayton wrote:
>>> It was to late Michael to try your suggestion as I had already
>>> started prior to your posting, I will it next time, no doubt there
>>> will be a next time. I've had a look at your site at #18 so what I
>>> could have done was do a repair install using the OEM key? I don't
>>> think it even gave me the option to repair, but mind you I started
>>> running the install from within windows which proberly wasn't the
>>> correct way to do it, should have booted from the CD huh?
>>>

>> Did you boot up with the OEM CD or did you try to do the OEM install
>> from within Windows XP?
>>
>> It sounds like you started the OEM install process from within
>> Windows to me.
>
> I am surprised you got that from his post. He says he "started
> running the install from within windows"

<snip>

LOL! I'm going thru nicotine withdrawal, so I'm not as sharp as I
normally am.

Michael Stevens

Mar 23, 2005, 6:05:49 AM3/23/05
In news:%23LGC2T5...@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,

kurttrail <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> respectfully replied
;-)
> Michael Stevens wrote:
>> In news:O2%23fk50L...@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> kurttrail <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> respectfully
>> replied ;-)
>>>>

>>> Did you boot up with the OEM CD or did you try to do the OEM install
>>> from within Windows XP?
>>>
>>> It sounds like you started the OEM install process from within
>>> Windows to me.
>>
>> I am surprised you got that from his post. He says he "started
>> running the install from within windows"
>
> <snip>
>
> LOL! I'm going thru nicotine withdrawal, so I'm not as sharp as I
> normally am.

Good Luck, I smoked heavily for 30 years and stopped smoking 13 years ago
cold turkey and never took another puff since. I quit because I didn't feel
comfortable smoking in public anymore, I can't imagine why anyone would even
start or continue smoking today. Where do you enjoy smoking?

Clayton

Mar 23, 2005, 6:46:08 AM3/23/05
Good to see you two talking about bad habbits..
Anyway Michael, I'll try your suggestion next time

"Michael Stevens" <mste...@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message

kurttrail

Mar 23, 2005, 8:11:01 AM3/23/05

I quit for almost 4 years in the early nineties.

Started up again while hiking. It seems to be a little easier this time
going cold turkey, but I still would like to have a cigarette,
especially with my morning cup of coffee.

Michael Stevens

Mar 23, 2005, 7:16:16 AM3/23/05
In news:ekQsn35L...@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,

Clayton <clayton...@xtra.co.nz> respectfully replied ;-)
> Good to see you two talking about bad habbits..
> Anyway Michael, I'll try your suggestion next time

Be sure to read the step by step next time. It works and saves you a lot of
money and or time. 8-)

Mikey

Mar 24, 2005, 10:52:32 AM3/24/05

DevilsPGD wrote:

> In message <42404A36.59749485@Not_There_Either.nope> Mikey
> <Not_Here@Not_There_Either.nope> wrote:
>
> >I don't have any advice for Clayton, but I'm curious about something.
> >Maybe someone knows the answer.
> >He wrote that it's a pirated copy of XP with a pirated CD key on a
> >banned list of pirated keys known by Microsoft. I thought that these
> >pirated copies would not be able to be updated to SP2, yet Clayton
> >wrote that it has been. Can pirated copies of XP be updated to SP2?
>
> All the known pirate keys were blocked when SP2 was released, but any
> subsequently released corporate keys will update to SP2 (although
> perhaps not beyond)
>
> --
> "If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent
> that year in college"
> -- Lewis Black

Okay, thanks.