Images not showing in I.E.

Saorex

Sep 11, 2004, 9:17:42 PM9/11/04
Hi. After installing SP2, I noticed some images do not
show up when I surf the Web. After looking more, I saw
images not loading were only those coming from 3rd party
Websites.

For example, I go on my own website:
http://www.adnddownloads.com/ and images directly taken
from other websites do not load. Those images are buttons
other webmasters ask me to put on my site, and they've
been working for years... Also, Amazon.com images do not
show either.

Anyone has an idea?

Saorex

Sep 11, 2004, 11:39:54 PM9/11/04
Then it might be the server I'm on. Could the server's
firewall block hotlinking? That would strange...

BradH

Sep 12, 2004, 12:07:55 PM9/12/04
This potential solution does not directly relate to SP2 and may not relate
to your problem. Open your HOSTS file (C:/Windows/System32/Drivers/ect)
with a text editor such as Notepad. Remove or comment out lines with "#"
that reference sites who's images do not load. Normally this file is marked
Read Only so you must change that file property before you can save any
changes. Also be sure to set it back to Read Only when you are done. Any
line that begins with # will not be used by Windows so leave the entries
with acme.com alone since they are there as examples. DO NOT modify the
line with "127.0.0.1 local host".

Some adware/spyware blocking softwares, such as AdSubtract, block ads by
modifying your HOSTS file. This indescriminately blocks everything from the
host names it inserts in your HOSTS file by pointing those host names back
to your local machine. This is a VERY CRUDE way to block a few ads and
popups and uninstalling the software does not undo the changes to your HOSTS
file. Ultimately a VERY POOR solution for the average computer user.

The usual disclaimers apply. No warranty expressed or implied. Your
mileage may vary...

BradH

"Saorex" <ava...@hotmail.com> wrote in message